NW Monkeybike/Grom Owners

Dave T

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
May 14, 2006
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
253
Location
Merseyside, England.
As well as the GS, I'm also the proud owner of a Honda Z125 Monkey... my Brother-In-Law (an ex-1200GS owner) has an MSX125 Grom....
We're looking to get some days out on the 'small bikes', predominantly at weekends due to work commitments. If there are folk on here with similar bikes that fancy joining us for the odd ride, post up here and lets see what we can arrange....
 
Last edited:
As well as the GS, I'm also the proud owner of a Honda Z125 Monkey... my Brother-In-Law (an ex-1200GS owner) has an MSX125 Grom....
We're looking to get some days out on the 'small bikes', predominantly at weekends due to work commitments. If there are folk on here with similar bikes that fancy joining us for the odd ride, post up here and lets see what we can arrange....

Hi Dave, Ben said you'd got the Monkey.

Hopefully will see you out and about on it.

You'll have to come up to Dent with us.

Cheers

Mark
 
Hi Dave, Ben said you'd got the Monkey.

Hopefully will see you out and about on it.

You'll have to come up to Dent with us.

Cheers

Mark
Hey Mark, how's tricks?
Yeah, got the Monkey at the weekend, but I suspect the GS will continue to be used for Camping duties ;)
Gutted that I can't make the Farmyard Party this year (my band's gigging, although the venue is a bit 'sketchy' so we might get cancelled... if that happens, I'll get a ticket for Farmyard, really enjoyed it last year)... but either way, deffo up for meeting up at some point :beerjug:
 
Power to the monkey bikers, You will need it.....:weights I too am thinking about getting a Grom.
 
Power to the monkey bikers, You will need it.....:weights I too am thinking about getting a Grom.
My B-I-L is really pleased with his... I suspect if you buy wisely you could have one for a year and not really lose out....
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH
Power to the monkey bikers, You will need it.....:weights I too am thinking about getting a Grom.
Bit of a resurrection, but if you're still looking there's one in 'other bikes' for sale. Nothing to do with me, but a 6 year warranty and 0 miles.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH
Bit of a resurrection, but if you're still looking there's one in 'other bikes' for sale. Nothing to do with me, but a 6 year warranty and 0 miles.
Not sure now as to which bike to get, thought Grom was the one, but I do like the Dax...will be next year anyway, so plenty time to choose, but thank you for posting that to me, even though I did notice it.
Seen this today I like as well;-
 
Easy to chuck in the back of a small van, such like a Citroen Berlingo van etc. Drive to Highlands and ride to my hearts content on single or trail roads not yet discovered, returning to van to eat and sleep inside.
As much as a new one will suit many I do prefer something older, ready to take some abuse from me, perhaps drops along my way!
1200GSA will be going inside an old unconverted Ambulance taxi, soon as I find the right one of them too. All depends on which comes available first. Possibly more fun on a wee Grom for future days.
 
Last edited:
Easy to chuck in the back of a small van, such like a Citroen Berlingo van etc. Drive to Highlands and ride to my hearts content on single or trail roads not yet discovered, returning to van to eat and sleep inside.
As much as a new one will suit many I do prefer something older, ready to take some abuse from me, perhaps drops along my way!
1200GSA will be going inside an old unconverted Ambulance taxi, soon as I find the right one of them too. All depends on which comes available first. Possibly more fun on a wee Grom for future days.
Funny you should say that. Next year, if you decide you want a Grom, give me a shout, my brother in law is toying with selling his (21 plate, 5 spd) Grom in 2027 to buy a Monkeybike as he's indicated that he fancies a change...
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH
Nice little run up to Aberdeen next year for you and BIL to let me see it in the flesh, as they say. :D
What new model does he fancy? Sticking to Honda's?
 
Nice little run up to Aberdeen next year for you and BIL to let me see it in the flesh, as they say. :D
What new model does he fancy? Sticking to Honda's?
Don't put it past us.... We were planning a trip to Germany on them... but his work and mine put paid to it for this year.
It's another Honda he's after - the z125 monkeybike. Having been out on both, I think the Grom is the more versatile bike but I prefer the look of the Monkey...
He's got pannier rails both sides, rear rack - regularly goes away camping on it. According to the on-board computer, our last ride out - approaching 200 miles - it averaged 173 to the gallon. They (both Grom and Monkey) are awesome little machines - just need a mindset change to look at what they can do (almost everything) rather than what they can't (hour after hour of motorway).....
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH
Different animals really, the Grom and Monkey Have clutches and 5 speed boxes, (early monkeys have four I believe)
The Dax has an auto clutch and four speed. The auto clutch is very reminiscent of the old Dax’s, Chaley’s, C50/70/90’s.
I prefer this set up, having cut my teeth on old Honda Cubs back in the early 70’s.
The wife, I, and a couple of friends regularly use them, we take them to where we want to go in vans, then tour the area extensively. They can get to places you wouldn’t want to take a GS. The Dax can carry a passenger in relative comfort too.
We try to stick to smaller roads/lanes etc, but they will easily hold 60mph if you need them to, with a bit more if the incline/wind is in your favour.
They really are great fun.IMG_1693.jpegad1eafb0-c162-4d57-bda5-c85f5420466d.jpegd6899069-933e-4c77-a5e8-e42ee11b70ae.jpegIMG_4192.jpegIMG_0365.jpeg
 
My Grom's coming with me in my van to the south of France at the end of the month. When I took it on a previous trip and rode it around Morzine, I was asked by some guys from Switzerland if I'd ridden it all the way there from the UK.

I've done long trips on my 390 Duke but think the Grom seat would be horrible after a couple of hours.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HxH
They do look like fun, and as mentioned earlier, easier than taking a larger bike on less accessible roads. Much better than towing a wee Smart car behind a large Motor Home, I would have thought, specially if your a biker most days.
 
they are excellent.... the 'drag bike' looks properly smart!!!
Drag bike is impractical as a day bike, but as a show bike impressive, must have cost a fortune to build like that, to what ends well possibly his own the owners.
I have noticed a few msx 125's down in Manchester, Liverpool area for sale, I might just pop down for a look see!

Other thing I noticed other day a guy on a 125cc bike following me, with me sticking to the national speed limits, he stuck there all the way, some of his pals behind him, on larger more powerful machines.
So I would never discount a 125cc bike as a bike unsuited for the open road, motorways possibly, but sure they could cope in a PUSH pardon the pun. :D
 
Last edited:


Back
Top Bottom