Odyssey with Sargent seat

peterh

Reaction score
I am considering replacing the OEM battery on my 05 with an Odyssey PC535GS from Motorworks.

However, the bike has a Sargent seat, and before I take the plunge, can anyone confirm that the PC535GS will happily fit beneath this seat?

The Search Tool did not pick up any references to this combination, but surely it must be out there ...

Thanks.

I am considering replacing the OEM battery on my 05 with an Odyssey PC535GS from Motorworks.

However, the bike has a Sargent seat, and before I take the plunge, can anyone confirm that the PC535GS will happily fit beneath this seat?

The Search Tool did not pick up any references to this combination, but surely it must be out there ...

Thanks.

Yes that combination works fine. Although to say the Odyssey fits nicely is perhaps somewhat optimistic, nearer an interference fit, the terminals need some adjustment and the original strap fits not. But a good battery.

Thanks.

Hi, I have an Odyssey battery and Sargent seat on my 07 GSA and haved had no probs at all. :thumb2

I have this combination on my 05. I used the trick of using two cut down rods for the seat supports rather than using the bar that runs the width of the seat. There have been no problems with the seat or the battery.

The Odyssey battery and Sargent seat are two of the best modifications I've made to my bike. I now have a bike that starts reliably in winter (-5 degrees C not uncommon here) and much more comfortable on long trips.

And thanks again.

The Sargent seat has been a good buy. I'll try the short rods - good tip.

But my wife regards the turntable as by far the best thing I have bought for the bike (she doesn't sit on bikes for long these days though!). With the garage under the house, and a very steep drive up from the road to get to it, the turntable is very valuable. I backed the bike down to the road a few times, and a very 'focusing' experience it was too. Not only was there the fine judgement of front brake application (nearly all the weight is on the back, so with almost no weight on the front tyre there is very little grip, and thus much chance of a lock-up, meaning neither braking nor steering available - been there, done that) but there is a point in the evolution where, just as I get to the pavement, the angle between pavement and drive means that I need about six inches more leg length than nature gave me.

I gave up trying to turn the bike round inside the garage via a 150 or so point turn. The turntable means I can ride up, put it on the stand, spin it round, and ride out later. Easy peasy.

Peterh,

when backing down your drive instead of using front brake why not try engaging first gear and using the clutch to slow the beast down (with engine not running of course!!!!) ?

Interesting idea using first and slipping the clutch, and one that would never have occurred to me, not even in my wildest flights of fancy. But now you mention it, I don't think I am anywhere near brave enough as the consequences of getting it wrong would be ugly!

In any event, it would not resolve the need for longer legs at the drive/pavement interface, and thank goodness, the turntable has removed the problem.

But I do ride it down in first, slipping the clutch and dragging the back brake ....

My Sargent seat fitted on top of my Odessey battery in the high seat position without any problem. The low position was much tighter and required re-routing of the terminal wires - a nuisance but achievable in 20mins or so. It's still a bit tight (on my '05) but the reliability of the battery and nicer look of the seat made it worthwhile. Comfortable too!

Job done now. Had to reroute wiring for aftermarket kit which made the task longer- and sacrifice many zipties But neater now :).

The most awkward and time consuming part of all was one I did not expect, getting the replacement battery strap fitted. The 'hook' on the one I had would not slot under the battery holder and it took quite a few attempts at filing bits away until that filing, together with some slight judicious bending of the strap, got a fit.

One small tip. It helps to have some slim webbing or similar to put under the new battery so it can be removed easily when in test install mode. Read that somewhere else, and it certainly saved me a lot more hassle.

Thanks for the advice.

odyssey with Sargent seat

Having just tried to fit an odyssey battery I had to revert to the GSer website for some guidance:thumb2. Found the webbing idea great having skinned my thumb:comfort

Am going to use the shortened rod idea as it's clear the battery leads will interfer with the seat if I leave a full width rod in place.:rob

Am interested in the rerouting concept though as I'm still struggling to get the +ve lead to connect without putting stress on the connector:eek

How far back do you take the lead?? :nenau

i've got a 05 standard 1200GS.

I routed the positive much as the pic on Motorworks site. Go to the PC535GS photo and click to see the installed battery.

The positive lead runs up to and behind the T bar and then back down to the battery terminal.

Many thanks Peter. Pity I didn't use the Motorworks site before getting a battery from Nippy Normans as I didn't get the alternative strap:(

I'll have to come up with some other idea in the mean time.:confused:

Looks like I've got a job for New Years day.

Back
Top Bottom