Oh no, not another tyre thread!

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, yes it is actually! It’s tyre time for my Super Tenere and, apart from the stock Bridgestone A41s that were on it when I bought it, I have always had Michelins, specifically the PR5 Trails, but I have read that Continental TA3s are pretty good, so has anyone got Trail Attack 3s on their Super Tenere?

I'm usually on Michelin's on both the 1150GS and the Super Tenere (I get them free:rolleyes:) - but in spring this year I decided to give Avon Trailriders a try - absolutely superb wet or dry, also very quiet and mileage looking good.
I've got a set of PR6's ready to go on next but the Avon Trailriders are superb - and usually the price is ok as well.

Cheers...........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Think you know i run the TA3s on mine, I’m on my second rear, front still looks good. Pretty sure I’ll get two rears to a front. They’re so much better than the OE bridgestones, especially warming up from cold, which the stones were shite at. Have to say I’m rather outspoken about Avons. Had far too many bad ones, oval ones, always massively out of balance and one Storm2 front that gave up all grip in the rain. Great tyres made badly. You only have to see how much lead goes on the wheel to see how badly.
Try the TA3s or stick with the Michelins

Avon Trail riders top tyres as other have said with good mileage 1mm per 1K no problem and not a bad price.

Brother in laws Super Ten was excellent on Tourance Next and I have them on my KTM 1090 adventure and am really impressed with their performance

Think you know i run the TA3s on mine, I’m on my second rear, front still looks good. Pretty sure I’ll get two rears to a front. They’re so much better than the OE bridgestones, especially warming up from cold, which the stones were shite at. Have to say I’m rather outspoken about Avons. Had far too many bad ones, oval ones, always massively out of balance and one Storm2 front that gave up all grip in the rain. Great tyres made badly. You only have to see how much lead goes on the wheel to see how badly.
Try the TA3s or stick with the Michelins

I am afraid that I have heard too many horror stories concerning Avon tyres, just to balance that out, I have also heard lots of good things about Avons too, and I had them on my Harley Davidson FXDX when I owned one as a second bike and they were fine. It’s just that the bad stories keep coming into my head, so I will either stick with PR5s or try the TA3s, just as long as the workshop I use can get a pair! I did consider Pirelli Scorpion II as they are part of Continental and Ducatis use them on a lot of their bikes, but Michelin and Continental are my first choice. All opinions are welcome though :beerjug:

I am afraid that I have heard too many horror stories concerning Avon tyres, just to balance that out, I have also heard lots of good things about Avons too, and I had them on my Harley Davidson FXDX when I owned one as a second bike and they were fine. It’s just that the bad stories keep coming into my head, so I will either stick with PR5s or try the TA3s, just as long as the workshop I use can get a pair! I did consider Pirelli Scorpion II as they are part of Continental and Ducatis use them on a lot of their bikes, but Michelin and Continental are my first choice. All opinions are welcome though :beerjug:
I ran my original Blackbird for over 10years on almost nothing but Avon Azzaros in the 00s, absolutely loved them. In fact I’ve still got a rear in the loft, way past being of any use now. Put them on a CB1300 back then too. Swapped that Bird for a newer one that had Storm2’s whichI was well pleased with…..until the first day it rained, absolutely no front grip whatsoever. Hard to believe how bad it was. Swapped it for an old stock Azzaro, scrubbed that in in the rain, spot on. Avon eventually gave me and another 5 Bird owners free sets of the then brand new 3DXMs. That set the rear needed 2 1/2 strips of lead to balance it. Fitter tried three positions for that tyre, didn’t help. A few years later the rep Gary assured me they’d sorted their QC issues, so I took the plung and fitted 3DXMs to my Pan. The first front was oval. You could see it bouncing on the tyre balancer. And the rear caused the instability all Pans supposedly suffer from. I lived with it, wore it out and then fitted a part worn Pirelli, stability restored. That was it for me, theres just too many other good choices to be bothered risking Avons again.
A twin cam riding mate I ride with a couple of times a year loves the Trailriders, swears by them, but every time I see him I point out how much lead he always has on his rims, always way more than anyone else.

Anakee Adventure, absolutely brilliant tyres..and great mileage.

Well, I have had a pair of Continental TA3s fitted and then went for a short, 50 mile, ride. Initial impressions are very good, conditions were damp and drying roads and air temperature 9C. They appear to lighter steering than the PR5s that came off but I will say the PR5s seem to be more progressive when leaning into a bend whereas the TA3s seem to drop in but feel very secure. So, all good to go I think!

Michelin R6's ... fabulous on the road.(wet and dry) ... not so sure off it ?

I guess you mean PR6? I would have gone for them but for reported issues on a few Forums, this one and the Super Tenere Forum included, with pulling to the left. I decided to go for the Conti TA3 and I am pretty happy so far.

Well, with a couple of thousand miles under the CA3s, I have to say these are pretty damn good tyres, really happy with them.

FYI TA 2 £150 TA3 £160; a good price at a non motorcycle dealer here’s fitted to loose wheels

Back
Top Bottom