Paralever diff oil ????? GS PD

Valker

Reaction score
I want to change all the oils in my bike, the book says, 10w40 mulitgrade for engine, what grade do i put in the gearbox and diff. The manual says 90w, 80w,,, 80/90w not for Paralevers... Question what do i put in diff an gearbox.. Cheers Joe.

SAE 90 above 5°C or SAE 80 Below 5°C or 80/90. Must be API class GL5. So if you go to Halfords buy the Castrol 80/90 Diff oil. The leaflet that comes with it tells you it's GL5 spec. The Castrol 80/90 gearbox oil is only GL4 so doesn't take the pressure. Same applies for the gearbox oil.

The genuine BMW Paralever manual gives the 80/90 GL5 spec.

SAE 90 above 5°C or SAE 80 Below 5°C or 80/90. Must be API class GL5. So if you go to Halfords buy the Castrol 80/90 Diff oil. The leaflet that comes with it tells you it's GL5 spec. The Castrol 80/90 gearbox oil is only GL4 so doesn't take the pressure. Same applies for the gearbox oil.

The genuine BMW Paralever manual gives the 80/90 GL5 spec.
Thanks Bob

So as long as it says GL5 on the tin is ok? for gear box and me dif:bounce1:bounce1

Thanks Bob

So as long as it says GL5 on the tin is ok? for gear box and me dif:bounce1:bounce1

Yep!

This is the bumf that goes with the Castrol diff oil --> "suitable for the lubrication of manual transmissions where the manufacturer recommends the use of an oil to API GL5 performance level"

:thumb

And the bit from the Paralever manual

Attachments

• Oil.JPG
    Oil.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 173
Very good tip Rob :clap
Makes sence of my leak - drain it out and fill up with new oil - no leak
I wondered if my oil was contaminated or wrong grade in container
Looks like being a " O this will doo " person dosent always work eh !!:blast

At the risk of being Anal...

Most of the wear I've seen in the gearboxes I've rebuilt has all been down to wear at pressure points due to the wrong grade oil being used.

If you fit normal 80/90 it will probably be GL4 so not up to the pressure rating.

These are the specs from Lubrizol's website

GL-4 designates the type of service characteristic of spiral-bevel and hypoid gears in automotive axles operated under moderate speeds and loads.

GL-5 designates the type of service characteristic of gears, particularly hypoids in automotive axles under high-speed and/or low-speed, high-torque conditions.

So if you want to ride very slowly and not put your bike under any load then carry on using standard 80/90W :)

GL5

Rob
Thanks for pointing out that the spec is GL5. I checked four Castrol 80/90 oil containers in my garage and discovered some are GL4 and some are GL5. I must pay more attention in future.
BTW. The containers bought in France are GL5 spec - and significantly cheaper too.

David

Back
Top Bottom