Pompeii Advice Requested- Access for the disabled

Watty100

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Jul 5, 2010
Messages
509
Reaction score
266
Location
Dudley, England
Myself and her indoors are visiting Pompeii by cruise ship next year, in June. She is disabled, can walk short distances with the aid of crutches but certainly isn't up to walking around that type of site.
I'm aware there is an accessible tour of part of the site- Pompeii for All- and aim to visit that. She will need a wheelchair, I believe these are available for hire on site, but in very limited numbers and have to be booked in advance.
I also see that entrance is free for the disabled and one carer. However I'm more than happy to buy entrance tickets in advance to ensure we get in.
We have the transfer booked from the ship to Pompeii, but obviously time is of the essence as we don't want to miss the coach back or worse, the ship departing!

Can someone with experience of doing this tour please advise:
Is there a likely to be a long queue for the free disabled tickets, as these don't seem to be available online?
Would we be better off taking our own wheelchair?
Tickets for next June are not available on the official website, any idea as to when they go on sale?
Any other advice is appreciated

Thank you.
 
Myself and her indoors are visiting Pompeii by cruise ship next year, in June. She is disabled, can walk short distances with the aid of crutches but certainly isn't up to walking around that type of site.
I'm aware there is an accessible tour of part of the site- Pompeii for All- and aim to visit that. She will need a wheelchair, I believe these are available for hire on site, but in very limited numbers and have to be booked in advance.
I also see that entrance is free for the disabled and one carer. However I'm more than happy to buy entrance tickets in advance to ensure we get in.
We have the transfer booked from the ship to Pompeii, but obviously time is of the essence as we don't want to miss the coach back or worse, the ship departing!

Can someone with experience of doing this tour please advise:
Is there a likely to be a long queue for the free disabled tickets, as these don't seem to be available online?
Would we be better off taking our own wheelchair?
Tickets for next June are not available on the official website, any idea as to when they go on sale?
Any other advice is appreciated

Thank you.
Dunno about the queue for disabled tickets but I went in June many years ago and my memory is
it is or can be fucking hot
It is a long walk around the place to see much
The streets are as they were in the days before the ash swamped the place so uneven cobbled and with plenty of trip hazards

I wouldn't want to be pushing a wheelchair around the place

Good luck though because it is worth seeing
 
I wouldn't want to be pushing a wheelchair around the place

That’s understandable and, much less be in one. That said, some poor souls have no alternative, sadly.

OP, if you take a portable wheelchair with you, at least you’ve got it. It’ll remove at least one of the questions.

Me? I’d contact the local tourist office. They are usually very helpful, not least as they (in part at least) survive on tourists.
 
That’s understandable and, much less being in one. That said, some poor souls have no alternative, sadly.
To clarify

I think wheelchair use in Pompeii will be difficult due to the surfaces, the big steps that I didnt notice any "ramps" for and the stepping stone things across the roadways that are just wide enough appart to allow a carts wheels rather than a wheelchair.
 
We were there in March this year and there are areas that you will be able to get around fairly easily but the 'city' streets may be a challenge. In June it will be HOT so the the easier access areas may be enough anyway.

A quick search came up with this which looks about right if you need wheelchair access.

 
Thanks folks, much appreciated.
You might consider Herculaneum as an alternative. It's much more compact and there's a ramp down to the level of the ancient town iirc? You can see must of the town from the 2026 ground level too. It has the added bonus of being much less crowded than Pompei. Have a look at the local tourist info, Google street etc.
 
Myself and her indoors are visiting Pompeii by cruise ship next year, in June. She is disabled, can walk short distances with the aid of crutches but certainly isn't up to walking around that type of site.
I'm aware there is an accessible tour of part of the site- Pompeii for All- and aim to visit that. She will need a wheelchair, I believe these are available for hire on site, but in very limited numbers and have to be booked in advance.
I also see that entrance is free for the disabled and one carer. However I'm more than happy to buy entrance tickets in advance to ensure we get in.
We have the transfer booked from the ship to Pompeii, but obviously time is of the essence as we don't want to miss the coach back or worse, the ship departing!

Can someone with experience of doing this tour please advise:
Is there a likely to be a long queue for the free disabled tickets, as these don't seem to be available online?
Would we be better off taking our own wheelchair?
Tickets for next June are not available on the official website, any idea as to when they go on sale?
Any other advice is appreciated

Thank you.
Me and the wife are also going next year on a cruise ship in June (same one?)

Ours is the Tui - Treasures of the Mediterranean
Sailing from Palma on 29th June.

We are also going to Pompei

I read this online
Pompeii is partially wheelchair accessible, featuring a dedicated 3.5 km step-free route called the Pompeii for All path that covers major areas of the ruins.
  • Start point: The main accessible entrance is at Piazza Anfiteatro.
  • Coverage: The 3.5 km path provides access to the Amphitheater, the Large Palaestra, and key ancient streets and homes.
  • Free rentals: Manual wheelchairs can be borrowed for free at site entrances including Piazza Anfiteatro, Piazza Esedra, and Porta Marina with a valid ID.
  • Admission: Entrance is free for disabled visitors who have a disability card and for one personal assistant
Limitations and Challenges
  • Terrain: The rest of the ancient city outside the dedicated path consists of uneven Roman cobblestones, high steps, and deep ruts.
  • Slopes: Some ramps and inclines along the accessible route exceed an 8% grade.
  • Passageways: Certain sections are narrow and only fit one wheelchair at a time.
  • In-site transport: The internal shuttle bus service is not wheelchair accessible​
I would explain the situation to your holiday rep and see what they say, they should take care of it for you.
 
Me and the wife are also going next year on a cruise ship in June (same one?)

Ours is the Tui - Treasures of the Mediterranean
Sailing from Palma on 29th June.

We are also going to Pompei

I read this online
Pompeii is partially wheelchair accessible, featuring a dedicated 3.5 km step-free route called the Pompeii for All path that covers major areas of the ruins.
  • Start point: The main accessible entrance is at Piazza Anfiteatro.
  • Coverage: The 3.5 km path provides access to the Amphitheater, the Large Palaestra, and key ancient streets and homes.
  • Free rentals: Manual wheelchairs can be borrowed for free at site entrances including Piazza Anfiteatro, Piazza Esedra, and Porta Marina with a valid ID.
  • Admission: Entrance is free for disabled visitors who have a disability card and for one personal assistant
Limitations and Challenges
  • Terrain: The rest of the ancient city outside the dedicated path consists of uneven Roman cobblestones, high steps, and deep ruts.
  • Slopes: Some ramps and inclines along the accessible route exceed an 8% grade.
  • Passageways: Certain sections are narrow and only fit one wheelchair at a time.
  • In-site transport: The internal shuttle bus service is not wheelchair accessible​
I would explain the situation to your holiday rep and see what they say, they should take care of it for you.
We are going with P&O, otherwise could have talked bikes on board! I think our date for Naples/Pompeii is 8th June.
I've read that online, just looking for any inside knowledge or past experiences really.

Once again, many thanks to those replying(y)
 


Back
Top Bottom