R1100GS heated grips, pretty hopeless !!

dave perry

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys n Gals, just had an hour out on the R1100GS, and even with the grips on "full" came back with frozen hands, touch of white finger doesn't help. Not daunted however; took out my new Oxford Hot Grips for a spin, transported around in fine style on the bars of my '99 Blade. What a difference, toasty on the Blade, frozen on the GS. Do the beemer grips get tired with age ? I am thinking of replacing the old with new, any comments ?? My tired old hands need all the help they can get !!

The BMW grips aren't the hottest available (now - maybe they were in the late 90s) but I often find myself wishing for a '1.5' position as 2 can be too hot (depending upon what gloves I'm wearing) and 1 not hot enough so I find myself flicking between the two. Yesterday (7 degrees ambient) I was out and setting 1 was enough to keep the chill off. So it certainly sounds as if there's something wrong with yours but I'd expect them to work/not work rather than fade away.

I have a K75 of a similar age to the 1100GS. I'm assuming it has the same/similar heated grips as yours.
On high (2) they're too hot, on low (1) they're not warm enough. In any case my left grip has recently failed
so rather than try to sort it, I'm going to fit a set of Oxfords. I fitted these to one of my other bikes and I can't
recommend them enough, they work a treat.

Thanks Guys, I replaced the fuse, even though it had continuity, and now they get up to 30 degC on max; will have a test run if the temp here tops 7 !
The Oxford Hot Grips reach 40 deg C on max, so, as you say, modern grips are hotter. One point re the mounting plate and switch box; you would think that the four screw holes are in a square pattern, but they are not. A little easing of the holes is required if you want to mount the switch block "sideways"!

Back
Top Bottom