RAC - Car cover - Terrible service ....

Skippy

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
8,764
Reaction score
3,243
Location
Everywhere and nowhere baby!
Just wanted to share for others benefit, a very recent experience with our RAC breakdown cover. I have copied letter written to their complaints department, it should be self explanatory .

Customers for decades with full, family membership.

Every recovery truck driver independently and without influence, said Green Flag is the best.

Cheers.

Customer Care, RAC Motoring Services, Great Park Road, Bradley Stoke, Bristol, BS32 4QN

25th September 2026

Dear Sirs,

I want to tell you about a very recent experience myself, my wife and our three dogs, endured when we called on the services of the RAC last Sunday, 20th September.

For background, we have been family members for many, many years, always maintaining the belief that The Royal Automobile Club stood for reliability and dependability. How far from the truth could we have been.

My car developed a minor fault soon after leaving a camping site near Bakewell in Derbyshire on a sunny Sunday morning. We pulled over into a layby on a busy main road and after a short while, called on the services of The RAC at around 11:30. The patrol arrived with us approximately two hours later. He spent half an hour diagnosing the fault and a decision was made to call out a transporter to take the car and small caravan, myself and my wife and the three dogs, home. The three dogs would stay in the boot of the car for the duration of the journey home, coming out for a short break at each stop.

The patrolman called and arranged for the transport to come to us and left us at approximately 14:15. When the transport arrived at approximately 17:30, the driver confirmed he received the call from the RAC at approximately 16:00. That’s a full 6 hours after the initial call. We left the layby at around 18:15 and were informed we were only being taken as far as Trowell Services (southbound), that’s a mere 60 minutes drive from the layby.

It’s worth mentioning that we were very fortunate in that the farmer who owned the land adjacent to the layby, checked that we were all okay and offered us the use of his facilities at the farmhouse and an area to let the dogs exercise.

We arrived at Trowell Services at around 19:15, unloaded the vehicle and caravan and then spoke to the RAC help desk to enquire on the next relay.

The relay company called and picked us up at around 20:30 and took us to Watford Gap Services, arriving at approximately 22:00. We again unloaded the car and caravan from the transporter. We called the RAC at 23:50 to ask when the next relay would arrive. We were told a relay truck would be with us by around 03:00 however, the truck arrived at around 01:30 and we loaded the car and caravan. This relay took us 40 miles to Toddington Services. The driver would have taken us all the way home but had received instructions to drop us at Toddington and go to another breakdown. Once again, we unloaded the car and caravan. The time now was around 03:00.

At 04:26, I called the RAC to ask when we should expect the next relay. We were told that due to driver shift patterns, it would be unlikely a truck would be allocated until after 06:00. I called the RAC at 07:00 as I had heard nothing.

In the meantime, I was contacted by a specialist team at the RAC and offered a hotel for the remainder of the night ! This was obviously (to us anyway) not practical as we have three dogs with us and also, our insurance would not cover leaving the car and caravan in a motorway service area.

We suggested a taxi should be arranged to take my wife and the three dogs home. This was agreed and the taxi arrived at around 05:00, expressing some surprise about three dogs, despite me insisting the specialist tell the taxi firm the details. Please bear in mind, my wife is seventy years old and we have the welfare of our dogs to consider, not to be taken lightly when in a busy motorway service area.

It is worth mentioning that my wife found the taxi journey to be a dreadful experience, with the driver maintaining a speed often in excess of the speed limit, in the outside lane, only slowing because he “knew where the speed cameras were”, abruptly and braking hard when approaching traffic.

I stayed at Toddington Services until a relay truck arrived at around 08:30. We loaded the truck and set off, not knowing if this was the final relay. As it turned out, it was.

I eventually got home at around 11:00, just short of 24 hours since the first contact was made with the RAC.

We found the entire episode a harrowing, frustrating and somewhat upsetting experience, with the exception of the professionalism and care the relay drivers and companies showed. We had three, well behaved, mid-sized dogs who endured hours on end in the boot of the car, including whilst in transit (our choice) on the transporters. The number of loadings and unloadings was quite frankly ridiculous, particularly for such a relatively short overall distance of less than 200 miles in total.

I’m not looking for explanations, I’m sure you have many reasons as to why this saga happened, a busy day, lots of breakdowns, lack of staff and so on. Having spoken to numerous people since getting home, I believe it’s not a particularly unusual occurrence, with numerous tales of people being left for hours on end.

If you do think it appropriate to reply, please do so by email or a letter, with suggestions on what you plan to do, in order to address the poor experience described above.

Sadly, my longstanding faith in your services have been shattered.

Yours Sincerely,
 
I have experience with both RAC and the AA during my time in the job. Hated both of them. Without a doubt Green Flag were brilliant.
In relation to your situation, isn’t there a difference with the RAC of recovery and a relay service?
 
That's disgusting service.

I am with the RAC too and drive a 13 year old car along the motorway 5 days a week.
So chances are if i break down i will be on a smart motorway with no hard shoulder.

I hope I'm not left like that for hours... after 10 minutes i think id take my chance on a dash to the embankment
 
I had a bad experience too, not as bad as yours, but none the less pretty poor.
I called them out, made the excess call out payment over the phone, received a confirmation from my bank and waited. Got a call back about 2 hours later, asking if I still needed assistance. 🤔 Then said I hadn't made the call out excess payment and that was why it was held on the system... Had to make another payment and then start the wait again.
This was in an area with very poor mobile service. When I got home, I checked and 2 payments were taken they were adamant that it hadn't.
Put a complaint and they barely apologised and offered no other sympathy other than refund the second payment.
This was at midnight on a freezing night.
 
To be fair I’ve had similar service from green flag with my bike. Took 8 hours to recover me to home from 13 miles away, I could have walked it quicker.
 
I had stunning service in Amiens France earlier this summer
Europ Assistance via my bike insurer
From breakdown to bike garaged in less than an hour and in the next hour I was in a hotel room
So within 2 hours I was all sorted with accommodation and bike fixed the next day
 
Bad experience with AA many moons ago , my wife was about 5 miles from home and her Scirocco broke down , flat battery and not charging, she rang the AA and they sent a local nominated recovery firm.

As I was quite near I popped down in the Police van to check on her , recovery agent arrived and diagnosed a defective alternator and battery , he was going to load it up and take it to their depot and they would sort out replacement parts and repairs

Had a quick look and it was immediately obvious that a wire had come off the terminal on the rear of the alternator, pointed this out and he pulled me to one side asking why I pointed it out as it would be a nice little earner for them.

He did not realise it was my wife , so I stripped back the wire and wrapped it around the terminal ( enough to get home ) told him to jump start the car , get in his van and f#ck off from whence he had come.

Also seen numerous other incidents where both the AA and RAC had left people stuck at the side of the road for many hours
 


Back
Top Bottom