Raleigh Night flyer

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Picked up this bike and I’m giving it a service after being off the road for a few years.

So, two things.

1. How easy is it to true a wheel?

2. Can these handlebars be raised? I can’t seem to figure it out.

fb378ccd0e5a55d919578183599ba6af.jpg

bb07a4ed8531db3384629934973e785c.jpg

Looks like the existing stem is at the top of the fork steerer so you cannot add any spacers to raise the stem. You can buy extenders to extend the steerer but I have no experience of them. The stem can be changed for a longer one. Not sure of the availability of longer adjustable stems. If you do buy anything, just check the diameter of the existing steerer tube.
The only other way of getting a longer steerer is to get some new forks when you can then cut the steerer to the size you want.

Wrt to wheel truing, there is an art or knack to doing it. I have just turned the bike upside down so the forks or rear stays act as a truing jig.
Spin the wheel holding some chalk carefully to the rim to mark where adjustments are required. It is just a case of tweaking the spoke nipples to pull the rim into shape. Always loosen the opposing spokes before tensioning the spoke you are tightening. Also it is surprising that a small turn ( half turn) can make a big difference. Patience is needed, together with a good fitting spoke key, and finally checking all the spoke tensions. My LBS charges £10 for truing a wheel as long as its not too far out.

Last edited:
Adrian pretty much covers it. I can true a wheel but I am happier paying my local repair guy a tenner to do it to perfection rather than my 80% there.
You can buy steerer extenders which will raise the stem by 3-4". You can also get longer stems of the adjustable type you have. I'd try one or the other first.
(It's bringing up local stuff to me in France but this gives you the idea)

Richey are well regarded....90-120mm so you'd gain just over an inch (if you have a 90mm stem on now? Get that tape measure out)

Thanks lads. I’ll do a bit of research on ‘steering extenders’.

Just followed the Amazon link. Thank you!

Wiggle or Chain Reaction Cycles will no doubt sell them. (CRC are owned by Wiggle...go figure)

And Merlin do a stem

Up and back might be best.. Spent €90 on new tyres on Thursday. Managed to figure out how to reinstall the gear hub! Bicycles have moved on in the past 30 years!!!

Back
Top Bottom