Spoked wheel rebuilds? any recommendations - wheelbuidling is kind of a lots art.

I’ve used Central Wheels ( not for a GS) and also done them myself.
Happy to do them myself for a small engined run around bike but wouldn’t be happy for a GS wheel.
Speak to Central Wheels ( or any other wheel builder) and ask them if they are happy for you to strip the wheel ( I just put an angle grinder through all the spokes). Sometimes they want to see the spoke pattern before stripping. I found the extras contributed a lot to the price too. I had my own hubs powder coated by a friend and sorted out my wheel bearings which saved a fair amount.

( I just put an angle grinder through all the spokes).
That’s the easy part :D You’ve obviously never done a BMW spoked wheel. Every spoke nipple around the rim will be seized/corroded in place. A wheel builder I knew ( now retired) had a special jig, a press and drill set up just for BMW wheels. He charged as much for removing the nipples as he did for respoking the wheel :D

That’s the easy part :D You’ve obviously never done a BMW spoked wheel. Every spoke nipple around the rim will be seized/corroded in place. A wheel builder I knew ( now retired) had a special jig, a press and drill set up just for BMW wheels. He charged as much for removing the nipples as he did for respoking the wheel :D
Yeah, when i de-spoked my spare wheels Mikeyboy told me a very good tip! Grind the spokes off but leave enough to get a cordless drill on. Clamp the drill onto the spoke and whizz it out with that. Made the job a LOT easier. Still a lot of work though.

No, never done a BMW wheel. Just old British bikes up to 350cc. Wouldn’t want the wheels to collapse on me😁😁

Back
Top Bottom