Recommend me a large hold-all with wheels

I do like Mountain Equipment stuff. I have a lot of their base layers, mid layers and down jackets.

That was a major factor in it. I’ve never had a bad piece of equipment made by Mountain Equipment and if something goes wrong Cotswold have a very good returns policy if you’re not happy.

Where I may have made a mistake is ordering two 100l bags when I know I don’t need more than 70l for personal kit but it gives me the capacity to bring extra things back if I feel so inclined and, as I said before, I don’t pay the excess baggage charges :D

I think Ski bags are the way to go - I have had this for 2 years and its still looks ok - BUT its bright :) https://www.rossignol.com/uk/rklb111-0000tu.html

125 Litres so massive and i like the fact that its 2 compartments so you can seperate dirty/wet gear with clean stuff
I can get 2 sets of ski boots, 2 helmets and enough ski kit for 2 in it :)

I think Ski bags are the way to go - I have had this for 2 years and its still looks ok - BUT its bright :) https://www.rossignol.com/uk/rklb111-0000tu.html

125 Litres so massive and i like the fact that its 2 compartments so you can seperate dirty/wet gear with clean stuff
I can get 2 sets of ski boots, 2 helmets and enough ski kit for 2 in it :)

Bet that weighs more than 23kg :D

I’m currently waiting to see how good customer service at Cotswold Outdoor really is.

I had a box turn up, photograph taken on the doorstep by the DPD delivery driver and I thought all was well in the World. The box was marked up as being package 1 of 1 so I assumed there’d be two bags in the box (which easily big enough for 2) but there was only 1 even though the packing note said 2.

I fired off an email telling them there was only 1 bag in the box and asking when the second one would be delivered or had there been a mistake at the warehouse?

The response was an email asking me to complete and digitally sign a form stating that neither I nor any other member of my household received the package and nor was it left with a neighbour. It also states that I agree to cooperate with any investigation into the missing package. Well I may be reading it wrongly but to me it’s bordering on suggesting that I’m trying to scam them which is certainly not the case and I’ve told them that there were no signs of the package being opened and resealed by the driver so it’s got to be simply a case of a warehouse mistake.

Hopefully they’ll supply a second bag with no arguments but the tone of the email has made me consider whether to bother with them again in the future.

If they're implying you're dodgy, I'd be tempted to imply someone in their despatch may be dodgy.

If they're implying you're dodgy, I'd be tempted to imply someone in their despatch may be dodgy.

Well that’s the obvious reply but it might just be me misinterpreting the email so I’ll wait and see what the response is.

My biggest problem is that I need either the second bag or an alternative inside 9 days because that’s when I’m next flying out somewhere.

It is incredible that, in the 21st century, a supposedly publicly spirited company like Cotswold cannot word their emails better.

Whilst I admit there must be several scams foisted on them, with people claiming all sorts of things, it is hardly the best way to start a relationship with a customer, by all but saying “You are lying”.

Was there not someone on UKGSer who had some relationship with Cotswold?

It is incredible that, in the 21st century, a supposedly publicly spirited company like Cotswold cannot word their emails better.

Whilst I admit there must be several scams foisted on them, with people claiming all sorts of things, it is hardly the best way to start a relationship with a customer, by all but saying “You are lying”.

Was there not someone on UKGSer who had some relationship with Cotswold?

If I’ve not had a response tomorrow I’ll complete a returns form and return the one bag I did get. I don’t think it was a direct accusation as much as a standard reply form but after spending £320 and sending a polite email only minutes after receiving the package inquiring when the second part would arrive my biggest disappointment is their slow response to my initial email and the lack of response after my reply to the one they sent me.

To think one of the reasons I use them is their good reputation for resolving issues :blast

On a tangent, there is going to be someone locally very pissed off with EE as their new modem has been delivered to me. It was siting on my doorstep when I came back from lunch.

It’s my address but not my name. The Post Office will, quite correctly, say that they have delivered it to the address on the package’s label.

I suspect what has happened is that someone has used EE’s website’s ‘Address look up’ tool and clicked on my house, not theirs. The irony is that they won’t be able to complain, as they won’t have a modem.

On a tangent, there is going to be someone locally very pissed off with EE as their new modem has been delivered to me. It was siting on my doorstep when I came back from lunch.

It’s my address but not my name. The Post Office will, quite correctly, say that they have delivered it to the address on the package’s label.

I suspect what has happened is that someone has used EE’s website’s ‘Address look up’ tool and clicked on my house, not theirs. The irony is that they won’t be able to complain, as they won’t have a modem.

They might strike lucky if a photo was taken that identifies your house but I’m not sure if the Post Office do that.

Well hopefully I'll have the second bag either tomorrow or Monday. It took some sorting out because I sent an email asking if they could let me know if they were supplying one because I'm scheduled to be leaving the country on the 19th or 20th which doesn't leave me a lot of time to source a replacement and got no reply. I called their customer service number and was told I'd be called back in under 30 minutes and that didn't happen so after 90 minutes I called again and got mildly moody in the form of saying that if they thought I was trying it on them come and collect the one bag I do have in my possession, refund me the money for that and stand by for legal action to recover the cost of the missing one. That got the desired response but I told the guy on the phone that I wasn't happy, I'd purchased the bags from them because I've used them numerous times previously with no issues and their reputation was very good.

Well that last part has changed and I'd strongly recommend that anyone having a package delivered from Cotswold Outdoor opens it in front of the delivery driver to ensure the order is complete and as stated on the despatch note.

The replacement bag arrived this morning, I’m very pleased with the quality of the bags with what appear to be strong zips, very robust material and decent enough wheels. I don’t think I’ll be breaking them before I finish my working days but that will depend on the baggage handlers around the globe :D

I suppose I’d better say whether the holdalls were worth the hassle and if I’d recommend them to others…

They’re everything I hoped they’d be. You have to be a bit careful to balance the weight when packing or they topple over when left standing on their end but they’re well made, the zips slide easily even when the bags are full and bouncing them off kerbs doesn’t appear to cause immediate damage.

They fit side by side when slid lengthwise into both a Mazda 6 (that’s what I hired this time) or a BMW 320 M tourer with the rear seats still in position so it appears that the actual dimensions of an average car boot have been taken into consideration.

Glad they worked, they seem good kit

I wasn’t in the slightest bit surprised by the quality because I’ve used and abused ME equipment for years and it’s always been capable of withstanding some truly horrible treatment :D

Back
Top Bottom