Recommendations request - travel to north Italy and return

Arabba is popular as:

a. It is on a road junction. This is important in any mountains (and indeed a lot of other places too) as it gives choices as to which way to head out.

b. As it is on a junction, hotels build up. More hotels, more choice.

c. It is reasonably central in the Dolomites.

It is by no means the only town or village you might chose.

re. the concern over snow and height. I don’t think you have told us when you plan on going? If Arabba has snow, the region as a whole might have snow; that’ll maybe scupper your plans for two days in the Dolomites, no matter where you stay.

Firstly, thanks to all for the recommendations and advice
Have decided to give ourselves more time, maybe 16 days
Will mix some motorways with more enjoyable roads to cover distance as required i.e. travel to Saarbruken via motorway on day 1
Day 2 planned to take in the black forest on a Thursday and travel to maybe lake Konstanz or similar such as Tutlingen.
Is the B500 the must do road or would people suggest other roads? For example have just reviewed a post from Wapping which goes from Baden-Baden down to Tutlingen
Day 3 to the Dolomites maybe taking in a bit of the Austrian Romantic Road
After 3 days travelling down to the Dolomites will spend 2 nights and sight see (about 11th Sep) although wary about weather at altitude from reading a post 're when to travel to the Dolomites'. Maybe just keep an eye on the weather or stay in a hotel at a lower altitude
Will then spend 3 nights in Verona to chill, tour, etc before travelling to Lake Como. Has anyone stayed in Verona or have any hotel recommendations?
Taking the advice from Wessie will then enjoy the route from Lake Como up to Landeck
Still planning routes and stops over the next few days (have 3-4 days spare) until we reach Ghent for 2 nights (stopped there last September for an afternoon and loved it so plan to spend more time there). Probably find a route to Ghent via the Vosges Nord.

The B500 is certainly iconic.

It gained popularity from the early 80’s when the UK motorcycle mags suddenly latched onto it, along with the joys of blasting around Europe without getting points. Along with several other roads it then became policed, which (for some at least) rather spoilt it. That alone does not make it a bad road per-se; just ride along it - if that’s your thing - and enjoy it.

A degree of snobbery has also crept in around the road, with posts like “There are much better roads” but more often than not, not accompanied by any clues as to what these might be. It’s as if it’s all some secret club, only to be revealed to the chosen few. There are though enough maps and links to alternatives in this section alone, to tell you what these are….. or just get a map.

Try this thread:

Here’s a sample of just one:

IMG_4209.jpg

PS I have seen snow on the top of the Stelvio in early September and boiled at the top in October. It’s always a bit of a lottery. But hey, that’s Adventure (with a capital A) for you.

Last edited:

It gained popularity from the early 80’s when the UK motorcycle mags suddenly latched onto it, along with the joys of blasting around Europe without getting points. Along with several other roads it then became policed, which (for some at least) rather spoilt it. That alone does not make it a bad road per-se; just ride along it - if that’s your thing - and enjoy it.

A degree of snobbery has also crept in around the road, with posts like “There are much better roads” but more often than not, not accompanied by any clues as to what these might be. It’s as if it’s all some secret club, only to be revealed to the chosen few. There are though enough maps and links to alternatives in this section alone, to tell you what these are….. or just get a map.
Thank you. As you said the maps I'm using give you a clue with nicer more scenic roads highlighted with a green border

Good morning Sir,
A couple of questions if I may. Is there good reason to base yourself in Arabba if visiting the Dolomites? Plan to stay 2 nights so can see the local area. Worried if high up may get some snow? Have you ever considered the Selva / Ortisei area? Or even Bolzano?
Incidentally when I checked out the Passo Pordoi Hotel using Booking.com is came up as vegetarian
Thanks,
Richard
Hi, Arabba is fairly north central and you can go in a few directions from there. I stayed in the hotel Malita the last time I was there. U derground secure parking and great food. I may go there en route to the Austrian MotoGP this year.
Bolzano would be fine too it's just busier.
Passo Pordoi wasn't vegetarian a few years ago when I last stayed- great food and wine then too.
Snow possible at end of May, been caught in it, but not, usually, after that.

Hi, Arabba is fairly north central and you can go in a few directions from there. I stayed in the hotel Malita the last time I was there. U derground secure parking and great food. I may go there en route to the Austrian MotoGP this year.
Bolzano would be fine too it's just busier.
Passo Pordoi wasn't vegetarian a few years ago when I last stayed- great food and wine then too.
Snow possible at end of May, been caught in it, but not, usually, after that.
Thank you for the helpful advice and information, again, really appreciated

Try this thread:

Here’s a sample of just one:

View attachment 274951

PS I have seen snow on the top of the Stelvio in early September and boiled at the top in October. It’s always a bit of a lottery. But hey, that’s Adventure (with a capital A) for you.
Agreed Richard. Adventure is what we signed up for and why I took early retirement so that we could create memories whilst our bodies allowed us

Agreed Richard. Adventure is what we signed up for and why I took early retirement so that we could create memories whilst our bodies allowed us
Exactly what I'm doing too (although I was late with retirement). I'm in Portugal on my 1260S Multistrada but it's too hot during the day to go riding far - 35C hot.

I'm off on the 3rd August, there's a common theme here, mix of camping and hotels heading down to Mondelloe del lario to take the Guzzi to it's birthplace and back picking a way through the Black forest and up to Speyer and finish off the technical museum.

Happy to post up my MRA routes if they would be useful, there's only motorway involved on part of the French Ingres, and the Dutch Egress

I'm off on the 3rd August, there's a common theme here, mix of camping and hotels heading down to Mondelloe del lario to take the Guzzi to it's birthplace and back picking a way through the Black forest and up to Speyer and finish off the technical museum.

Happy to post up my MRA routes if they would be useful, there's only motorway involved on part of the French Ingres, and the Dutch Egress
Interested to see your route fluff. Please advise of any tunnels and viaducts, I'm not really good with either. Hope your lights are better than a California 1400, travelled to toulon from mandello as pillion on my brothers california, a candle would have been brighter.

Interested to see your route fluff. Please advise of any tunnels and viaducts, I'm not really good with either. Hope your lights are better than a California 1400, travelled to toulon from mandello as pillion on my brothers california, a candle would have been brighter.
This is not finished just yet, just the first 8 days, but will be adding and finishing things off this week.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/folder/8685692?mode=share

My summer 2020.

The return leg was through Austria/Germany/France, but I went up pretty direct.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 16.57.56.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 16.58.08.jpeg

I can extract a GPX in case.

In Switzerland and Italy there can be a lot of tunnels and viaducts and they quite often link them together. It can be hard to avoid them on a lot of routes.
Sorry.
It could be worse as I remember riding through the 25km+ tunnel in Norway many years ago.

In Switzerland and Italy there can be a lot of tunnels and viaducts and they quite often link them together. It can be hard to avoid them on a lot of routes.
Sorry.
It could be worse as I remember riding through the 25km+ tunnel in Norway many years ago.
I must admit riding pillion my crimper was like a limpet attached to the seat. I just don't do enclosed spaces or heights either which can make planning a route challenging to say the least.

I must admit riding pillion my crimper was like a limpet attached to the seat. I just don't do enclosed spaces or heights either which can make planning a route challenging to say the least.
I'm fine with tunnels and I used to be fine with 1000ft. drops but not any more for some reason.
Probably age.

The amphitheatre at Verona is amazing.
Lake Como is lovely but not cheap!

The amphitheatre at Verona is amazing.
Lake Como is lovely but not cheap!

and on the way to Landeck, get a coffee before you leave Italy and do not stop for refreshments in St Moritz. Stay on the bypass past the lakes.

Back
Top Bottom