Replacement battery

Hedonist

Reaction score
At my 24K service my service manager told me my battery was needing replacement based on load testing. The bike is a 2017 BMW GSA that I've had for 25 months (battery warranty lasts 24 mos!). I've never had much luck with BMW batteries, and replaced them with Odysseys on previous BMWs. But, Odyssey doesn't list a battery for my bike. Any advice on a good replacement battery for a BMW waterhead, adventure/touring bike that does 95% touring?

Yuasa YTX14

I've also gone with the MBYZ16H MOTOBATT Quadflex AGM Bike Battery 12V 16Ah (been fitted almost a year)
My OEM battery lasted 4 years and 25000 miles too!
The Motobatt seems very good, about £80 from Tayna Batteries and delivered next day https://www.tayna.co.uk/search/MBYZ16H

My 1250GSA has had battery issues with both the OE battery and the Motobatt I fitted, which I have narrowed down to the datatool tracker munching its way through the charge at a ridiculous rate when garaged. Presumably the thing is pinging away constantly trying to find a satellite whilst under cover.

I don't like keeping my bikes on an optimate long-term so I just recharge my GSA about once a fortnight. When touring I carry a NOCO booster pack.

Big problem with my 1250 is it will start with a depleted battery from cold, then after a short ride of say 12 miles (my commute) it will not restart when hot as 12 miles will not sufficiently replenish the amps used during the first cold start.

Never had this problem with any of my previous Hexheads (whose engines didn't need a decompressor mechanism to start either).

I don't like keeping my bikes on an optimate long-term so I just recharge my GSA about once a fortnight. When touring I carry a NOCO booster pack.

Yeah I just hook up my GS to a battery charger overnight, once-a-month when I'm not using it regularly, and it always starts on the button. My Guzzi gets the same treatment and it's battery is 5 years old with no issues.

Some models you can take the foam out from under the battery and put the taller higher out put one in if it hasn’t been done already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on year of bike you can fit an oddysy battery MY13-16 you just need to trim the battery

My17> battery tray needs removing

Yuasa YTX14H-BS which is the heavy duty version with 240CCA, have one fitted to my R1250GS and now cold starting is better, and it spins over a bit quicker.

Back
Top Bottom