Rugged T - 7 INCH RUGGED TABLET T7R - A possible smaller nav tablet and a possible alternative to the Carpe Iter

Tetley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m looking to get a smaller nav tablet. The Samsung Active Tab is too big for the Kove nav tower. I found this…

It looks like the same spec as the Carpe Iter one. It’s 400USD / £320 delivered to the UK. Just wondered if anyone has used this company / Tablet.

======

I have edited your title to make it clearer that you are looking for an ALTERNATIVE tablet to the Caper Iter.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be wary of it being android 9, check that any apps you wish to use work on that platform or whether it can be updated.

I'd be wary of it being android 9, check that any apps you wish to use work on that platform or whether it can be updated.
It says on their website they are working on upgrading to Android 13 if that helps and from what I can see in the history of their Youtube videos and other forums they are pretty good at sticking to their word.

I’m looking to get a smaller nav tablet. The Samsung Active Tab is too big for the Kove nav tower. I found this…

It looks like the same spec as the Carpe Iter one. It’s 400USD / £320 delivered to the UK. Just wondered if anyone has used this company / Tablet.
I have just ordered the contollers (BMW kit) to use with my own tablet/phone setup

I ordered friday and according to UPS it will be delivered this morning

It says on their website they are working on upgrading to Android 13 if that helps and from what I can see in the history of their Youtube videos and other forums they are pretty good at sticking to their word.
That's not much use if it comes as Android 9 and can't be upgraded and your chosen apps don't work with it, they do one with Android 10 but no price.
Android ten tough tablet

I'd definitely advise getting something future proof that runs a decent Android version. I have a Tab Active 2 for my very budget setup (tablet and mount for under £100) and the old tech in the Active 2 sometimes shows - it won't plan a long (100 mile plus) route for turn-by-turn, so I have to create a Google map route, convert to GPX and import it. I anticipate having to upgrade to an Active 3 at some point...

That's not much use if it comes as Android 9 and can't be upgraded and your chosen apps don't work with it, they do one with Android 10 but no price.
Android ten tough tablet
You would just update it as you would any custom Android device. They will have it on their support page and you download and install

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments on the OS system. I just checked and Locus Maps runs on anything above OS 5. The T7Pro is 4 / 32 memory. The T7R is 8 / 128 memory. Is says 10 on the website, but my quote is for OS 11 on the T7R.
I see itchy boots has the same tablet…it must be good.

You would just update it as you would any custom Android device. They will have it on their support page and you download and install
Not all devices can be updated, I've had this issue with older 2017 devices running android 7.
Sounds like Tetley has it covered after getting a quote although the link in the first post says Android 9

Thanks for the comments on the OS system. I just checked and Locus Maps runs on anything above OS 5. The T7Pro is 4 / 32 memory. The T7R is 8 / 128 memory. Is says 10 on the website, but my quote is for OS 11 on the T7R.
I see itchy boots has the same tablet…it must be good.
If you buy directly from Carpe Itre they are already at Android 11

Dosent quite work like that -

Android will only support for xx number of level revisions - once that number has passed - no longer supported ..

Your only way to update after that is to root and either find a homebrew rom, or a later stock rom, but you wont be able to OTA install it - due to checks against the current rom

And then it may not work, as it may be trying to address hardware that is not there or compatible

Dosent quite work like that -

Android will only support for xx number of level revisions - once that number has passed - no longer supported ..

Your only way to update after that is to root and either find a homebrew rom, or a later stock rom, but you wont be able to OTA install it - due to checks against the current rom

And then it may not work, as it may be trying to address hardware that is not there or compatible
The information about updating to Android 13 is from the manufacturer...its on their website. Its also in the FAQs for this Tablet

Specifications​

• ANDROID 11 (planned update to Android 13)
  • 8 Core Helio P60 CPU
  • 8GB RAM
  • 128GB Internal memory
  • Micro SD card ( T-FLASH card) up to 128GB
  • GSM(B2/3/5/8), WCDMA(B1/2/5/8), TDSCDMA (B34/39), TD-LTE (B38/39/40/41), FDD LTE(B1/3/7)
  • BT 4.0/ Bluetooth v4.0
  • 7′ inch IPS/AFFS; 720*1280 1000 cd/m2
  • Rear Camera: 13.0 MP
  • Front Camera: 5.0MP

I think there's some confusion between the op linked tablet and Carp-iter tablet.
The original link had a tablet operating Android 9, Carpe-iter is Android 11 with a promised upgrade at a later date.

I think there's some confusion between the op linked tablet and Carp-iter tablet.
The original link had a tablet operating Android 9, Carpe-iter is Android 11 with a promised upgrade at a later date.
Agreed and I think he's looking at an older version sold by someone else

I'd be worried that the OS on the tablets is still behind the latest releases Android is currently at V14

The support for varying OS levels is unfortunatly down to the manufacturer of the tablet , not Android

Samsung usually support for 7 years / revisions

My Nexus 7 officially stops at KitKat (Android 4.0) but can be side loaded to 5.0 5.1 - Lolipop

My Tab2 active only has a rom 6.0 Marshmallow - so no support for later versions

ATM everything runs OK, but if it gets the switch off then a Tab3 is the next option

Whats annoying is 90% of the time the software will run ok, but the OS implementers change the hardware reqs so older devices get locked out

So in conclusion….the carper iter is £509 delivered. The T7R is £380 including a vehicle mount delivered. The tablets look the same and have the same specifications and both run android 11.
I’m going to take a punt on the T7R. Delivery is 14 days, I will keep you posted.

So in conclusion….the carper iter is £509 delivered. The T7R is £380 including a vehicle mount delivered. The tablets look the same and have the same specifications and both run android 11.
I’m going to take a punt on the T7R. Delivery is 14 days, I will keep you posted.

Does it have that same dual charge system as the Carpe Iter?

The carpe iter bundle looks a good deal, lifetime Locus maps, mount and power for €643

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tablet you link too is Android 9 not 11
The Carpe Iter tablet I link to is Android 11 (though about to be updated to 13)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom