Solder sticks,the ones you heat up with a hotair gun..

crumbles

C*ntry Bumpkin.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Saw on a Utube channel.( Matts offroad recovery channel)
You just put the wires in each end heat it up with the hot air gun
and hay presto,solder melts,heat shrinks the sheath at the same time..
Anyone used them or thoughts on them.....
Mike..Screenshot_20230726-072657_Chrome.jpg

They do work.

Depending on where the wires you intend to join are, the problem you’ll maybe have is getting a sometimes large nozzle heat gun (it’ll probably be running at north of 300 degrees) into the space available. You can often get around this by using a gas powered narrow flame ‘lighter’ type heat source. It’s what I use for heat shrink tubing. Put some tin foil or something similar behind the wire, to dissipate the heat, if you think it wise to do so.

PS Even if the solder doesn’t take, the heat shrunk ends of the connectors will probably hold the two wires together anyway. That might well be good enough for a temporary repair.

PPS If you want to join wires without soldering at all, Wago connectors are very good. Buy the proper Wago ones, not some copy.

Last edited:
Yes! Used loads of them. Great product. As Wapping says, be careful with a powerful heat gun next to your bike...

Thanks for the replies,
Never heard of them before or even Wago ones...
Haven't got a hot air gun,only the wife's......:D...

You’ll be a long time blowing on the connector, without a heat gun or heat source. In summer, I guess you could use the sun’s rays, amplified through a magnifying glass. That would be the ultimate, hedgehog in pocket, side of the road, rufty-tufty, self reliant, bikermate approach.

Last edited:
I have this one:
works a treat! you can use it for other things too, like stripping old paint (and inhaling the associated fumes :) )

I used a couple in the past.
Used with a small soldering iron kit that has a blower and a reflector. No need for a big heat gun.
Have a box full of the connectors, if you want a few to try, pm me.

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

Was a lidl special but I think they can be found usual places
b64ce1f8e28bbed47c27902f1a1d25c2.jpg

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

I use one of these with those joints, works a treat and as it’s gas no issues with any chords, it also includes a deflector thing for the end so you are only heating what you want to.

Many other similar options around on eBay and Amazon

We use them to repair wiring on cranes. All good but it works better if you remember to coat wires in flux paste stuff first.

Many thanks for the replies,
I went the Wago connector route.10 for £5.87 delivered from Ebay..
I have heat shrink sheath.so as above a lighter too collapse the tubing...
Mike..

Probably easier and cheaper in the scheme of things to use WAGo. Just bought these https://www.amazon.co.uk/WAGO-termi...09QH6YCR7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
after watching this and agreeing with how difficult it is to hold a wire, light a torch, aim it at a wire close to a petrol tank and other wiring....
Thanks for the tip. I've use the heat gun connectors to attach my heated jacket cable to my Hex Can but I think I'll give those a go when I finally get around to fitting my Innov cameras.

I've used those connectors, and really like them. Dead easy to use in the garage where there's a heat gun, they make a nice, professional looking and effective connection. I've never tried them 'in the field' but do carry a few and a small butane lighter.

As someone who solders regularly with work, I'd not be recommending those hot air ones. lead free has a habit of dry jointing more often than not and the heat required might preclude using a hot air gun next to other wires of sheaths/electronics because of the obvious damage it can do. WAGOs are definitely the (reliable) way to go and offer a permanent solution.

Back
Top Bottom