TFT Media/Wheel Volume Control

Pukmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I picked up my 1250GSA today and I am messing around learning how it all works. I have paired both my iPhone XS and Schuberth SRC1 (Sena) comms to the TFT via Bluetooth with no dramas.

The bike handbook states on page 111 that you can use the rotary wheel on the left grip up and down to control the media volume when playing, or dial it down to zero to mute. In practice the wheel does nothing except skip/shuffle tracks forwards and backwards by pressing or holding left/right. There are no yellow arrows to show up/down on the TFT, just yellow left right arrows for skip/rewind.

Have I done something wrong or do I need to enable something else ?

Many thanks

EDIT: I have a Sena handlebar remote controller that controls tracks, volume plus playback start/stop. If all else fails I can use that but I had hoped to fully control Media via the TFT and Wheel.

Congratulations on the new bike. I'm pretty sure volune control is only possible via the jog wheel if you are using a BMW Bluetooth headset. You will also find it works better if you allow them to pair fully before setting off. This can take around 30 seconds.

I Don't know about the SRC1 but the volume form the jog wheel works on my Sena 50r with the latest firmware. It didn't until recently.

I believe the sound control via the wheel only works with a bmw helmet/headset ?

Thanks for the replies, my Schuberth SC1Advanced comms (my mistake earlier I thought it was an SRC) has the latest software/firmware so I guess its just not gonna work. I tried pairing my helmet comms as both media and mobile phone pairing but still no volume control.

Great, so if it is actually possible to control a non-BMW headset volume via the handwheel and you have done it, how did you do it?
How did you pair your headset?
What software version is your TFT running?

Mine is currently on SW Version: 022_007_020

Maybe my 2019 TFT needs updating to a newer version, which I believe takes about 3 hours of workshop time. If that is true I can see why BMW would be loathe to do this to every TFT that comes through the door unless a customer asked for it.

Sena 50r - Firmware 1.1
TFT - 022-007-020 - As far as I'm. aware this version was only released in 2021 so yours must have had an update at some point. My 2020 came with 021-004-040

Headset to TFT on first mobile pairing
Headset to NAV on second Mobile pairing
iPhone to TFT
iPhone to Nav
Connected cradle to TFT

The wheel works for volume, but I've not yet tried it with the Nav 6 connected as I've been using the Connected cradle.

My Schuberth SC1A (Sena) headset module is on the latest firmware v2.0.5 and my headset is paired to TFT as first mobile phone pairing.
My iPhone XS on IOS 15.5 is paired to the TFT
I only have an old Zumo 600 for now which isn't yet paired to anything, maybe get a Nav6 or XT later plus a connected ride cradle.

If I pair the Sena handlebar remote with the headset I can control volume through it so remote volume control is possible, but not through the Wheel for some reason.
I'm currently at work but will try a factory reset on the Sena comms later then try again.
I believe the Schuberth SC1A is based on the Sena 20S unit. I have a spare 20S so I may try and pair that if all else fails and try the volume control with it.

I just want it to work as stated in the bikes handbook, I like having music on longer rides but the ability to quickly mute or quieten the volume is essential.

Thanks for the help

Mine's the 50R so it may be that the SC1A or 20s is different. The nav shouldn't make much difference, if its gonna work, it should work without that. I believe that the BMW coms are actually SENA with different firmware.

I have a 2022 GS and use a Sena 50R.
Initially volume control didn't work with the hand wheel. I could also make calls but could not hear the person on the other end. Same with incoming calls.
Then the software on the 50R was updated and everything works as it should.
One thing I have noticed,on occasion, is the volume control needs to be turned down, using the hand wheel, before it can be turned up.
Try using the hand wheel to turn the volume down first.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

I believe all units must be BT 4.0 or later to do all the latest stuff ( pair multiple units etc)

Quick Q where were you thinking of putting the Sena remote? there isn't any real room on the LH bar, without having to lift you hand off the grip completely to press its buttons .

If you mount it right of the whizz wheel, you need bloody long thumbs ;) - i tried and took it off straight away

I have tried turning it fully down, it does nothing unfortunately.

Mart, I haven't really got anywhere suitable to mount the Sena remote, hence wanting to fix the issue with the wheel. I guess I could cobble together a bracket for the bars but its a fit Fred Karno rather than an elegant integrated solution. I did try it next to the wheel but it gets in the way.

I just looked into the Schuberth SC1A specs and it is BT4.1 compliant

I shall try deleting the headset pairing for the Sena handlebar remote when I get home from work as this could be the reason why the wheel cannot control volume levels.

I tried everything I could think of. No joy with either IOS or Android.

After much research it seems that media volume control from the whizz wheel is only enabled for BMW System helmet comms and Sena 50S units. My guess is that the 50S is the one BMW fit into their System helmets.

I am using Cardo Edge to connect to TFT and I can not use wonder wheel to control volume up/down. Only skip / back track. Any solution? My TFT version is the latest one 022_008_020.

Hi I have the Senna remote fitted on LH grip tight to wonder wheel works perfectly with simple thumb movement.

Hi I have the Senna remote fitted on LH grip tight to wonder wheel works perfectly with simple thumb movement.

Ditto that, connects every time, no fuss no bother, battery lasts forever.

I tried everything I could think of. No joy with either IOS or Android.

After much research it seems that media volume control from the whizz wheel is only enabled for BMW System helmet comms and Sena 50S units. My guess is that the 50S is the one BMW fit into their System helmets.
I'm using a 50R and it works with the wheel.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

I'm guessing inboard of the WW , and you also have big hands ?? (bigger than a size 7)

Back
Top Bottom