The North Cape - An itch that's been scratched...

Great report:thumb

We went to Nordkapp in may 2008, there was snow all the way up Norway and halfway down Finland so it looked quite different! We also went Newcastle - Bergen;)

Great pics and very enjoyable read:beerjug:

Thank you for posting the pictures! :clap

I didn't read a word so I can't tell if Norway is like what you wrote. Honest! :angel

Did someone tell you the vikings did NOT have horns on their helmets? Or a saucepan, like my photo? :p

:liv

Liv. :)

Thank you for posting the pictures! :clap

I didn't read a word so I can't tell if Norway is like what you wrote. Honest! :angel

Did someone tell you the vikings did NOT have horns on their helmets? Or a saucepan, like my photo? :p

:liv

Liv. :)

You should have a read and yes I did know :)

Dave

Excellent report and thank you for posting it,

This is kind of similar to a trip I'm looking at doing maybe next year, could I ask how much of a budget you did this on, as I know that Sweden and Norway are expensive.

Also was it ok camping or abit chilly?

Thanks in advance

Excellent report and thank you for posting it,

This is kind of similar to a trip I'm looking at doing maybe next year, could I ask how much of a budget you did this on, as I know that Sweden and Norway are expensive.

Also was it ok camping or abit chilly?

Thanks in advance

We spent £2,500 on the trip which included all petrol, food, camping, small ferries and food & drink on the three overnight crossings. In addition to this was the return ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg which was around £380, the ferry from Stavanger to Hirtshals which was around £150 and the running costs of the bike for example we used a rear tyre and about half a front plus the trip was one service interval so the cost of a service as well. All told I would say getting close to £3,500. Just as a footnote we drank every evening bar one but we didn't drink in bars, we had lunch out and about 75% of the time usually in fuel stations or cafes with a typical lunchtime costing around £20 for the two of us.

We are year round campers so weather isn't much of an issue to us and we do have decent gear. Camping was good and every campsite had a communal kitchen which varied from a small room with a sink and a two ring electric hob to a very comfortable kitchen fully kitted out with everything you could need and with dining tables. We cooked outside whenever the weather was dry and warm enough and used the kitchens the rest of the time probably around 60/40 bias towards the kitchens. The one thing I would say is make sure you have a waterproof tent that is practical for use in wet conditions by that I mean a tent that doesn't take forever to put up and ideally fly first or pitch as one, it rained a lot, on most occasions were were able to wait 20-30 minutes for a break in the weather but there were several times where we had to either pitch or pack in pretty wet conditions. We kept dry by wearing our waterproof trousers a thin waterproof jacket, Mac in a Pack type, and putting our jackets and helmets in the kitchen while we packed which worked really well and meant we didn't get wet packing away or pitching. Temperature wise I would say the coldest was around 4 deg C so fine for a 3 season sleeping bag, which is what we took, as long as you have a decent sleeping mat, we use Exped Downmats which are excellent.

Hope that answers your questions but feel free to ask any more.

Dave

Our trip log which I intended to post with the opening post....

Screenshot2012-09-23at201716_zpsa172e9c6.png

Thanks for that dellis, very helpful reply but with costs like that it may be two years before I get up there, your route is slightly different to the one I have in mind.

I think I may have to invest in a more suitable tent etc before I go.

Thanks for that dellis, very helpful reply but with costs like that it may be two years before I get up there, your route is slightly different to the one I have in mind.

I think I may have to invest in a more suitable tent etc before I go.

Cheap it most certainly isn't, we didn't do anything too expensive either, no eating out in the evening and no beers in bars. You could do it a bit cheaper but not by much.

Dave

Just came across this excellent ride report. Thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough job. Really helpful. You didn't let the weather get you down :thumb2

I'm off this June doing a similar route (some of the names sound familiar with what i've been looking into myself). Quick way up and slower way down. Although my route will be Harwich to Hook of Holland and via Copenhagen to Nordkapp and all the way back down to Kristiansand. Your report won't make me change anything but is a good confirmation of what I'm planning :thumb2

Can't wait ! :bounce1

Will read and digest later, but thanks for taking the time Dave :thumb

Your report will come in exceedingly handy .... ta :)

We're heading for the Nordkapp maybe June, but hoping to return via Russia :eek:

:beerjug:

Hoping to do the same trip this year and this report is exactly what I was looking for.
Great report. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom