The Western Front Way

This year it is the 110th anniversary of the outbreak of the war. Kitsilano refers to the <55,000 names engraved into the Menin Gate memorial. It's sobering to understand that those fallen officers and men are those with no known grave. A walk through the arches and alongside the walls seeing the names really brings it home just how many 55,000 lost souls is! My late grandfather fought on the Western Front and survived although he would never speak of this terrible time. The 8pm Last Post is very much worth attending to show respect to the fallen. In 2011 I was a member of Steeton Male Voice Choir when we were privileged to be chosen to sing at the Menin Gate Last Post ceremony. I wasn't aware on the Western Front Way until this evening when I discovered this post. A heart condition means I'm not capable of walking or cycling that distance but I would very much like to pay tribute by travelling the length of the Way by motorcycle. It won't be this year though. Revisiting Ypres will be a highlight but since the Menin Gate is undergoing renovations and will be covered in scaffolding until March 2025 I'll be deferring until the work has been completed. Thank you Wapping for creating this thread.

Repeat of a very good series of programmes on PBS America about The Somme. Peter Barton a very knowledgeable guide to the battles from both the allies and German perspective.

In the largest commemorative project in the world, it has become possible to walk or cycle 1,000 km from the Swiss border of the Vosges to the Channel coast of Belgium, following the course of the stagnated no-mans-land of World War One’s Western Front.

It is a project that owes its existence to a young second lieutenant, who:

1915. 2nd Lieutenant Alexander Douglas Gillespie of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders writes home from the front line to tell of his vision of ‘a via sacra’ (a sacred road) before being killed in action; “when peace comes, our government might combine with the French government to make one long avenue between the lines from the Vosges to the sea….I would make a fine broad road in the ‘No-Mans Land’ between the lines, with paths for pilgrims on foot and plant trees for shade and fruit trees, so that the soil should not altogether be waste. Then I would like to send every man, woman and child in Western Europe on a pilgrimage along that Via Sacra so that they might think and learn what war means from the silent witnesses on either side.”

Shortly thereafter, Gillespie was killed in action.

https://thewesternfrontway.com/

30173c5508ccd6d5632f4e78561c4a86.png

I am indebted to an article in today’s Times newspaper, a Google search then taking me to the website of the Western Front Way’s homepage.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...0?shareToken=f4afad1cf8c397694a96379e2427f695
He was an inspired man, very pleased to find this, thanks.
lots of people go and walk the Camino, often not sure why exactly, but this has real meaning (for me). On the case.
Edit - paperback copy of the book bought

The Seldon book arrived today.
The opening chapter is interestingly written and covers a lot of social, political, geographical and the author's own history.
He raises issues that most "walking" books would skirt without providing his own answers (though his views are easily perceived). For example:

"Before 1914, Europe's great powers had been at peace, mostly for a hundred years since the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 had brought the last great Continental war to an end. Is peace, then, merely the absence of war? Or is it something altogether deeper?"

That statement is somewhat simplistic as it ignores the Franco/Prussian war of 1871 where the Pussian Otto von Bismark captured Paris. The protagonists were two of Europe's great powers and that war was contributory to the unification of the separate German States into what is now called Germany.

He clearly believes that the internal pogroms of Europe and Russia often aimed at Jewish citizens and quarters do not mean that peace is merely the absence of war.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book but bearing in mind he is famous for writing about British politicians and systems I hope that he will be able to weave in the political machinations of all the protagonists into the obvious stories of the combatants he will pass en route.

I am already thinking of getting panniers on my push cycle to follow the route!

The Seldon book arrived today.
The opening chapter is interestingly written and covers a lot of social, political, geographical and the author's own history.
He raises issues that most "walking" books would skirt without providing his own answers (though his views are easily perceived). For example:

"Before 1914, Europe's great powers had been at peace, mostly for a hundred years since the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 had brought the last great Continental war to an end. Is peace, then, merely the absence of war? Or is it something altogether deeper?"

That statement is somewhat simplistic as it ignores the Franco/Prussian war of 1871 where the Pussian Otto von Bismark captured Paris. The protagonists were two of Europe's great powers and that war was contributory to the unification of the separate German States into what is now called Germany.

He clearly believes that the internal pogroms of Europe and Russia often aimed at Jewish citizens and quarters do not mean that peace is merely the absence of war.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book but bearing in mind he is famous for writing about British politicians and systems I hope that he will be able to weave in the political machinations of all the protagonists into the obvious stories of the combatants he will pass en route.

I am already thinking of getting panniers on my push cycle to follow the route!
The book is clearly provoking thought which is one major intention so all is good.

My copy has arrived, I'm also enjoying it and wondering about out of season walks.

You can always order such books from your local library of course. If there's any left open ... :augie

I have just picked up the Sheldon book, ‘free’ via Amazon Audible.

My jury is still out as to whether I enjoy audible books. Maybe I’d enjoy them more if I had a commute?

I have just picked up the Sheldon book, ‘free’ via Amazon Audible.

My jury is still out as to whether I enjoy audible books. Maybe I’d enjoy them more if I had a commute?
I can't sit at home and listen to them, only for long journeys like driving to the ferry in Plymouth. Then they're good.

I can't sit at home and listen to them, only for long journeys like driving to the ferry in Plymouth. Then they're good.

I was tipped of by a friend, not to have the player in shuffle mode.

Chapter three….. chapter seven…… chapter one.

Back
Top Bottom