Time for a rebuild

sandrider

Reaction score
Hi I have a 2007 BMW R1200 gsa with 115750km on the clock which i have used but not abused on trips to Scotland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria where the fuel pump decided to pack in descending the Grossglockner cost to fix it €850 plus vat and numerous times around Ireland. I think it is time for an engine, gearbox and final drive rebuild as i hope to do a long trip around Europe next year, basically i am looking for info on where i can get the rebuild done and at a reasonable cost. I have enquired around Ireland but no joy.

The obvious choice is Mikeyboy of this parish (Overland and Classic is his business I believe), but he’s in the UK so that may preclude him from your list.

Hi I have a 2007 BMW R1200 gsa with 115750km on the clock which i have used but not abused on trips to Scotland, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria where the fuel pump decided to pack in descending the Grossglockner cost to fix it €850 plus vat and numerous times around Ireland. I think it is time for an engine, gearbox and final drive rebuild as i hope to do a long trip around Europe next year, basically i am looking for info on where i can get the rebuild done and at a reasonable cost. I have enquired around Ireland but no joy.
Why do you feel it needs a rebuild?
Are you having problems? Final drive I can understand if you have play in bearings.
My bike has covered 142.000 miles now. 228,000 Kms.
So twice your mileage.
Engine untouched.
Gearbox untouched.
Final drive rebuilt twice.
If it ain't broke and all that.

Are you having problems? Final drive I can understand if you have play in bearings.
Totally agree as it only 72K miles, if it has been serviced well with quality oils the engine and gearbox should be good for at least double that mileage.
Check the Final drive and possibly change the wheel side bearing if no play in the pinion bearing.
Consider changing the lambda sensors and coils and if the rear shock is original have Dens0 on this forum rebuild it.

My bike has covered 142.000 miles now. 228,000 Kms.
So twice your mileage.
Engine untouched.
Gearbox untouched.
Final drive rebuilt twice.
If it ain't broke and all that.
Hi gazza12adv, Thanks for the reply not really sure the engine needs a full rebuild but i would like to get it checked out in case any components are out of spec, there is a rattle from a bearing in the gearbox and the final drive had metal specks in the oil after my recent trip 4550km

The obvious choice is Mikeyboy of this parish (Overland and Classic is his business I believe), but he’s in the UK so that may preclude him from your list.
Thanks for the reply I will contact him and see what can be done

Back
Top Bottom