Trying a new thing maybe..Trials?

g00ner

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With insurance money burning a hole in my pocket I’ve been looking at bikes…with nothing catching my eye. Living in deepest SE UK I’ve found myself travelling far and wide for trips away from traffic and towns, assisted generously by Chris (2gses) who’s shown me the delights of the Dales, Pennines and Lake District. Those trips are hugely looked forward to and enjoyed
I was riding bigger bikes less (trips away aside) and shying away from trail riding due to being shite at it compared to my chums. I love the days out on green lanes but they give me the heebie jeebies prior Cos I’m shite at it
just been killing a couple of hours in my local bike/trials shop waiting on a car service nearby and have spotted a clean well loved Beta Evo Factory 300 2t for far less than a big bike will cost me. Canada Heights is nearby and has a thriving trials club. I’m imagining fun evenings and Sunday mornings wobbling about with like minded souls hopefully, getting my kicks with no traffic and hopefully improving off road prowess. It seems ideal before I actually try it… so is Trials fun? And will a 300 2t kill me? I don’t need or want the biggest/baddest/best but this one is in the right place at the right price

Still got my R9T which will be fine for trips up north so instead of getting a 200-250kg Norden replacement I could try a new hobby. As long as a 300 won‘t be too big a handful

Go for it I did a bit of sidecar trials and solo on a twin shock fantic years ago,dont think cause it's slow and easy it bloody isn't, good luck!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

There used to be a chappy near Leek who would provide guidence and a bike for not much dosh. Try before yer buy,/ smash your own up, learning without knowledge of the simple basics.
Good luck and keep post photos of yer bruises and grazes

Go for it, it's very addictive. There's no egos and everyone will guide and help you but like others have said if in doubt go for a training day somewhere and get some tuition and you'll get a good idea from that if it's for you.

I used to do a bit as a teenager, years ago. Kit consisted of black bullseye safety wellies and an old waxed cotton jacket. Bike was a Cotton, with a 170cc Minarelli 2 stroke!
I loved it!

Go for it I did a bit of sidecar trials and solo on a twin shock fantic years ago,dont think cause it's slow and easy it bloody isn't, good luck!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Just a day out green laning makes me ache. I expect trials will make me wish I was fit

Go for it, it's very addictive. There's no egos and everyone will guide and help you but like others have said if in doubt go for a training day somewhere and get some tuition and you'll get a good idea from that if it's for you.
Good plan (y)

I think it sounds like a great idea. The bike you're looking at is a used example, so even if you don't gel with trials you will have gained some skills and you will get most or all your money back.

With insurance money burning a hole in my pocket I’ve been looking at bikes…with nothing catching my eye. Living in deepest SE UK I’ve found myself travelling far and wide for trips away from traffic and towns, assisted generously by Chris (2gses) who’s shown me the delights of the Dales, Pennines and Lake District. Those trips are hugely looked forward to and enjoyed
I was riding bigger bikes less (trips away aside) and shying away from trail riding due to being shite at it compared to my chums. I love the days out on green lanes but they give me the heebie jeebies prior Cos I’m shite at it
just been killing a couple of hours in my local bike/trials shop waiting on a car service nearby and have spotted a clean well loved Beta Evo Factory 300 2t for far less than a big bike will cost me. Canada Heights is nearby and has a thriving trials club. I’m imagining fun evenings and Sunday mornings wobbling about with like minded souls hopefully, getting my kicks with no traffic and hopefully improving off road prowess. It seems ideal before I actually try it… so is Trials fun? And will a 300 2t kill me? I don’t need or want the biggest/baddest/best but this one is in the right place at the right price

Still got my R9T which will be fine for trips up north so instead of getting a 200-250kg Norden replacement I could try a new hobby. As long as a 300 won‘t be too big a handful
A 300 Beta Evo, will not be fun or any 300 for that matter
A 250 Beta Evo is a lovely bike, all that you'll need and without the hard hit that a 300cc bike will provide
Go for a 250, Trials and then your trail riding will improve too

Here’s mine - both 250’s and this is a 2T
a42429669b1d4fa77a6163f632f74e72.jpg

The Honda 4T

fc7d9ec1c31a249203ab420c5a658d82.jpg

There used to be a chappy near Leek who would provide guidence and a bike for not much dosh. Try before yer buy,/ smash your own up, learning without knowledge of the simple basics.
Good luck and keep post photos of yer bruises and grazes
Stuart Day, he runs a trials school on his farm, near Leek (y)

A 250 Beta Evo is a lovely bike, all that you'll need and without the hard hit that a 300cc bike will provide

The Honda 4T

Yep, hear you. It’s that this one is local, a good price (to me) and hasn’t been lobbed over rocks oop North. It's got a known history from Stan Stephen’s family and well fettled. Can always fit a soft throttle n stuff plus as Paul says if it’s too much bike I won’t lose on it. All the 250’s nearby seem a lot more ‘used’

Yep, hear you. It’s that this one is local, a good price (to me) and hasn’t been lobbed over rocks oop North. It's got a known history from Stan Stephen’s family and well fettled. Can always fit a soft throttle n stuff plus as Paul says if it’s too much bike I won’t lose on it. All the 250’s nearby seem a lot more ‘used’

You can always for a ‘slow throttle’ and 2 base gaskets to soften it off

The Honda 4T

Looks very nice, but where’s the seat ?

I found Trials riding great fun (limited experience) and alot harder than it looks but certainly improves your skills. Some of the expert stuff when you see it in person looks impossible and an eye opener how the top guys can do it. I just enjoyed the days I had riding messing around which is what its all about.

Johnny Boxer has been into trials as long as I can remember so offers good real world experience and knowledge .

I found Trials riding great fun (limited experience) and alot harder than it looks but certainly improves your skills. Some of the expert stuff when you see it in person looks impossible and an eye opener how the top guys can do it. I just enjoyed the days I had riding messing around which is what its all about.

Johnny Boxer has been into trials as long as I can remember so offers good real world experience and knowledge .
Yep, I hoped JB would see it. He can be Sensai :)

Back
Top Bottom