Ultimate Motorcycle Security - ASA

Onahi

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Sep 19, 2004
Messages
6,554
Reaction score
648
When the GSA with ASA was purchased, It was the Automatic gear change that drew me in. However, Pretty soon I realised a huge benefit. Which gave 100 peace of mind. I've recently read, a motorcycle specific security bulletin for Europe. Which claims "Professional Thieves" now check to see if the bike (BMW) has ASA , No Clutch or fluid reservoir, before attempting a theft. Of course, it can still be lifted, But 99% are ride away. On renewing your insurance, State it has ASA, and your premium can reduce. I did make a point to my insurers this should be automatic when the Bike is listed. Which apparently will become the norm.
 
Does it have a "lockdown" button or some sort of shortcut to enable it quickly?

Would be a bonus if so for hijacking etc.

Also a sequence to disable would be good. Especially if it was user programmable. A bit like the modern immobilisers.

Just thoughts.
 
Posted not long ago, theft was attempted by moving the rubber grummet and looking at the joint at the end of the shaft. Lock was cut. Cutting the cnts hand is the answer. However in principle I agree, adding extra security may deter even that method.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1244.jpeg
    IMG_1244.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2095.jpeg
    IMG_2095.jpeg
    369.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
When you turn the bike Off. It goes into "P" Park. Its locked in gear. When you turn the bike on, The dash shows "P", You pull the front brake lever and touch the start button. You hear an electric switch, taking into Neutral. Once you get used to this. Its muscle memory.
 
Does it have a "lockdown" button or some sort of shortcut to enable it quickly?

Would be a bonus if so for hijacking etc.
I will instantly press the off button , side stand down and run away :coold Bikes not going nowhere.
 
When the GSA with ASA was purchased, It was the Automatic gear change that drew me in. However, Pretty soon I realised a huge benefit. Which gave 100 peace of mind. I've recently read, a motorcycle specific security bulletin for Europe. Which claims "Professional Thieves" now check to see if the bike (BMW) has ASA , No Clutch or fluid reservoir, before attempting a theft. Of course, it can still be lifted, But 99% are ride away. On renewing your insurance, State it has ASA, and your premium can reduce. I did make a point to my insurers this should be automatic when the Bike is listed. Which apparently will become the norm.
What if you don't want asa?
 
Sadly yes I think you're right about that. Have to make the most of my clutch while I have it
I was a die hard clutch man. Then I rode an ASA GS and GSA. It was brand new then and although I thought it was great, several software updates have greatly improved it. I'm not saying my next BMW has to have it but I certainly would look for it in a new or used bike. Try it?
 
Motorcycles, aided by the rise of the scooter and scooter-like vehicles, will - as cars are doing - become all but entirely automatic. The manual clutch controlled gearbox will become as outdated as points in a distributor.

I’m only surprised that there isn’t as yet, a separate test and licence entitlement for clutches motorcycles, as there is for cars.
 
not saying my next BMW has to have it but I certainly would look for it in a new or used bike. Try it?

I was always mildly surprised that BMW didn’t (haven’t) moved on to make the 1600 ‘automatic’, as Honda did with their ‘big bike, mate’ offering.

I would certainly have tried one.

I don’t understand the bias against ‘automatic’ motorcycles, for normal road use. There again, I don’t understand the craze for scooters either, nor quantum physics.
 
I was a die hard clutch man. Then I rode an ASA GS and GSA. It was brand new then and although I thought it was great, several software updates have greatly improved it. I'm not saying my next BMW has to have it but I certainly would look for it in a new or used bike. Try it?
I barely use my quick-shifter. I'm just so used to the control I have with a clutch.

When it comes to the next trade in, yeah I jumped on the PCP bandwagon, I will definitely give ASA a go. Heard lots of positive things about it.
 
I barely use my quick-shifter. I'm just so used to the control I have with a clutch.

When it comes to the next trade in, yeah I jumped on the PCP bandwagon, I will definitely give ASA a go. Heard lots of positive things about it.
My local bmw dealer said he now sells 60-70% ASA automatic new GS/GSA and RT now - even to the die hard clutch men
 
My local bmw dealer said he now sells 60-70% ASA automatic new GS/GSA and RT now - even to the die hard clutch men

Car dealerships in London are the same. Even sports car outlets, where the sale of automatic vehicles, far outstrips those with a manual gearbox.

This trend will only continue with the ever increasing sales of electric vehicles, which of course have no clutch or conventional gearbox anyway. Our and our children’s generation will be the last to use a clutch ‘as the norm’. My daughter, in her early 30’s has already forgotten how to drive a manual car and is in no hurry to remember. Some will never have learned, nor past their test in a manual vehicle.

Is this a ‘bad thing’? Not particularly.
 
Car dealerships in London are the same. Even sports car outlets, where the sale of automatic vehicles, far outstrips those with a manual gearbox.

This trend will only continue with the ever increasing sales of electric vehicles, which of course have no clutch or conventional gearbox anyway. Our and our children’s generation will be the last to use a clutch ‘as the norm’. My daughter, in her early 30’s has already forgotten how to drive a manual car and is in no hurry to remember. Some will never have learned, nor past their test in a manual vehicle.

Is this a ‘bad thing’? Not particularly.
Since arriving in London for work in 1986 I have never owned a clutch enabled car and with all the modernish gizmos that go along with autos like Sports mode and paddle changers, I see no point. Each to their own, though. Driving in London is................painful.
 


Back
Top Bottom