Uneven tyre wear - Meztler Roadtech 01se front

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering if any other Roadtech 01SE users out there have experienced uneven tyre wear? Mine have around 4K miles on the fronts which despite avoiding long motorway runs and having plenty of A and B road work, have developed wear ridges on the sides where the shoulders have steepened causing the front to drop at relatively slow speeds. It's not an issue when normal speeds are observed but manifests itself as an unwelcome slow speed handling attribute which doesn't do much for confidence in front grip in the wet! I have a choice to replace it with a new one or try a different front and them match the rear to the front when that is ready for renewal (not a great idea if honest). The rear is excellent, shows uniform wear and I'd say has a good few thousand miles left in it.

incorrect tyre pressures ?

once saw a Trophy 1200 , with 5 flats on the front and 3 on the rear , all down to too low a pressure.

Just wondering if any other Roadtech 01SE users out there have experienced uneven tyre wear? Mine have around 4K miles on the fronts which despite avoiding long motorway runs and having plenty of A and B road work, have developed wear ridges on the sides where the shoulders have steepened causing the front to drop at relatively slow speeds. It's not an issue when normal speeds are observed but manifests itself as an unwelcome slow speed handling attribute which doesn't do much for confidence in front grip in the wet! I have a choice to replace it with a new one or try a different front and them match the rear to the front when that is ready for renewal (not a great idea if honest). The rear is excellent, shows uniform wear and I'd say has a good few thousand miles left in it.
I had this problem on an R1200 RS I fitted them to, and about the same mileage. The centre of the tyre seems to be a harder compound and the shoulder wear quicker. It felt truly awful the way the bike would suddenly tip in. They were the best tyres ever when I first fitted them but I was glad to get rid of them and fitted a pair of Road 5's. I've stuck with them and have now fitted a pair to my F900 xr.

I think the RS puts a lot of wear on the front tyre. Not sure if its the bike's weight or the braking forces.
That said my last front Avon Storm 3D wore out quickly but evenly.
You'll just have to quit doing those Marquez-style front end slides going into corners.

incorrect tyre pressures ?

once saw a Trophy 1200 , with 5 flats on the front and 3 on the rear , all down to too low a pressure.
No. Absolutely not. I check tyre pressures weekly. This is definitely a wear pattern due to dual compound design. They've simply got it wrong I think as the front tyres don't wear evenly. The rears seem absolutely fine but the fronts are borderline dangerous when part worn. I won't be buying them again which is a real pity because they were excellent up until about 4K miles.

I had this problem on an R1200 RS I fitted them to, and about the same mileage. The centre of the tyre seems to be a harder compound and the shoulder wear quicker. It felt truly awful the way the bike would suddenly tip in. They were the best tyres ever when I first fitted them but I was glad to get rid of them and fitted a pair of Road 5's. I've stuck with them and have now fitted a pair to my F900 xr.
Interesting to note I'm not the only one then. My mate's had similar issues with his RS shod with Road techs, again, just the front tyre, but his at 3K miles. I may try the Roadsmarts from Dunlop instead.

Much the same experience with MR-01s on my FJR1300AE/ES.

Hindsight tells me the OE BT023s were preferable in the long term, but I fancied a change & the Metzelers came recommended by a buddy & performed well initially. Now, maybe half worn, the front requires care/respect, particularly when cold - I can live with it for the time being, but they will need a change if we get a tour sorted next season.

I've got the same type of wear after about 3000 miles on my 1250RS. I'll be changing them for Road 6's soon.

I like the feel of the Roadtec in its early life, but typically after 3k it starts to go off - based on 3 sets replaced together. The latest was fitted at the same time as my 17" front so is directly analogous to your RS.
About to get a set of Mutants fitted - because I can!

I’m on my third set of 01SEs. They’ve never put a foot wrong, from torrential rain, autobahn, track.

And nice A road cruising too.

I find I’m fitting a set each year, ahead of my annual Euro trip, so I’m not chasing high miles.

Probably 5,000 miles so I’m changing before they’re worn out.

(my old last set are in the shed ready for my next puncture)

Rear punctures have forced a couple early changes, but I’ve never had a front tyre giving trouble.

I expect to stay with 01SE next time too.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It appears it's a fairly common trait. I could understand it had the fronts had 5 or 6K miles on but at 4K miles it doesn't seem a lot of miles per tyre. I much prefer the BT023's on my Vstrom. The front's done around the 2 to 3 K miles mark and is still perfect. In a quandary but may fit another to the front of the RS only because the rear has so much more life left in it which is a first for me. I normally fit two rears to each front but it appears the Roadtechs work the other way around on the RS! It's a heavy bike so perhaps this has something to do with it. I'll be switching to Dunlop Roadsmarts when the rear goes I think.

Just out of interest what's your riding style, do you enter bends on a trailing throttle, as that would load the front tyre more as you tip it in. I must ride like Miss Daisey as I've always had to change both tyres at the same time, that's if I keep them long enough :blast

I do my corner entry after checking/adjusting speed and throttle prior to the corner so rarely on a trailing throttle and more often than not on light throttle, occasionally if necessary using a little trail braking. I use a pretty smooth riding style and do make progress, but am not hard on brakes or throttle.

I have a new RS on order. Can anyone tell me what is the most common OE tyre fitted?

The two tyres which many seem to fit are the Metzler Roachtech 01SE's and the Dunlop Roadsmart's which have the Mk4 version now out. The Mk3 had some very good reviews. Others seem to stick with Michelin Road 5 or 6 tyres.

I have the M01s on my RS, and just diagnosed a vibration as resulting from uneven wear on the front. First time fitted that tyre to this bike. I would describe it as the front tyre is feathered. Very noticeable difference in block height from front to rear edge. Won't be fitting them again.

I do my corner entry after checking/adjusting speed and throttle prior to the corner so rarely on a trailing throttle and more often than not on light throttle, occasionally if necessary using a little trail braking. I use a pretty smooth riding style and do make progress, but am not hard on brakes or throttle.
Sounds like it's not you then (y)

I have a new RS on order. Can anyone tell me what is the most common OE tyre fitted?
Good luck with that. I ordered one at the end of June and it was due in the UK at the end of August. it's been held up at the factory since then with no explination of what the problem is or when I can expect my bike from either BMW UK or the factory. My dealer's doing their best to locate an alternative but has had no luck so far. Have you been given a delivery date at all yet?

It's odd that they have this delay issue with the RS. New GS1300's are starting to appear, so I wonder what the excuse is for the 1250 RS models?

Back
Top Bottom