Using AI to plan your routes. Yes or No?

The only reason your all using AI

Is so you can blame it when it goes wrong, or runs you the wrong way down a one way street

Things you'd normally do , and get the piss taken out of you for doing so
 
No jaunt is ever complete without a trip into a farmyard. We once, near Cassel, went into the small municipal sewage works. The sun in your face, the wind in your hair, shit on your boot…. It’s what makes motorcycling.
 
If I plan a route I plan it to go where I want to go - not where AI 'suggests' I go.

My route of interest will be different to the next bods - so enough said.

I may not plan the most efficient route and I may go down a road that comes to a dead end - so be it - part of the adventure
 
The one thing thats underestimated, and even AI tells you this. You have to validate what it gives you.
Using AI to plan a route, is as good (or as bad) as using Google or any other software.
Sometimes I'll use AI to recommend some place to go, but not often as I usually have some idea where I want to go.

I'll use Google for the A to B and then fiddle about with the bits in between, down to the turn, junction and road types.

I do find (scarily) that Google (other platforms are available) will recommend a detour to some place interesting based on what I've been talking about off line (Alexa is spying on me)
The internet knows too much about me :ROFLMAO:
 
No jaunt is ever complete without a trip into a farmyard. We once, near Cassel, went into the small municipal sewage works. The sun in your face, the wind in your hair, shit on your boot…. It’s what makes motorcycling.
On my recent Ireland trip, I planned a route to "Black Valley". If you look on any map, there is literally nowhere else to go. I still ended up on some random farm having to turn around 🤣🤣
 
An underwriter I knew has a very strong Belfast accent. His BMW refused point blank to understand any of his voice commands to the hi-tech infotainment system.

Happy days.
My VW system is the same. I ask it to do something, it has a think including a little while light going across the dashboard below the windscreen. Then it sulks and switches itself off. Can't blame it. Ask a Belfast man to say power shower.......and you get par shar the wer syllable is not pronounced. When I had my first graduate job in Gray's Thurrock the typing pool had audio typists. I sent them tapes to be transcribed and what came back typed bore no relation to what I wanted and generally made no sense which indicated they didn't proofread anything.........I resorted to longhand :D
 
Why not.

The bikes almost ride themselves.
Sat Navs do all the routing.

Might as well take the last bit of thinking out of the equation too.

:LOL:
 
There was a time ...
when a man could ride a motorcycle simply because he wanted to ride a motorcycle. He needed petrol, a reasonably sound machine (a 31 guineas Tiger Cub!) and somewhere to go, though the last requirement was negotiable.
The road provided the rest. There was sunlight, wind, the smell of fields, burned hydrocarbons, rain and the drying off bit smelling like a wet dog in some road side cafe as well as the small satisfaction of knowing that for a few hours or weeks nobody knew where you were and you were free really enjoying new sights, sounds and smells. Remember those times? No event required a warning tone, a coloured line on a screen or a well meaning mate with a download. Today we believe that we have improved the experience considerably... or have we?... We are told where to go (!) , often by someone we haven't even met and, presumably, whether we are enjoying ourselves correctly...

The motorcycle has become a convenient platform for attaching devices whose functions few of us could ever explain and in whose absence, until recently, nobody considered a problem. Now, rather than riding, we struggle endlessly trying to get all those devices to talk to each other and end up mostly nervous wreck;. but they are fitted with great enthusiasm at phenomenal costs on grossly overpriced machines. It seems we have become marketing victims, yet we display them with quiet pride and remove them only when the next motorcycle arrives, at which point they are transferred like the insignia of a regiment. It is difficult to say whether the rider owns the equipment or the equipment owns the rider. Perhaps this is progress? to travel further while seeing less, to know your position at every moment while having no particular reason to be there nor any understanding of how you got there and to spend the journey surrounded by information while forgetting the peculiar pleasure of simply going somewhere.
Once, a motorcycle offered the possibility of disappearing. Now it seems increasingly designed to make sure you never lose contact with anything at all.
Thank goodness I belong to the 'older' generation where you kept well worn maps filled with fantastic memories.
:hide although I will confess to a mild bit of hypocrisy here as I do use a Satnav on my GS (Gone Shopping!) connected only to orbiting satellites. Quiet bliss!

I'll get my coat...:judge feel free to bring on the :duck:
Romantic Wapping? Suppose so but I'd say that was on the nose for an old twat like me
Reliable machine Treb? Didn't matter. It was whatever I could get my hands on. As for travelling further, fukk me, riding my B31 as far as Talgarth or even Brecon was exhilarating. A whole new world and nobody knew where I was( ( at least 10 miles away from home) What adventures eh. Now we have to get to Tibet or somewhere for our kicks . And yes, like Treb I'm guilty of hypocrisy to some extent. As for asking AI for a twisty route, fukk that, it'd take all the enjoyment of looking at a map.

Kind regards, Tiny Luddite.
 
Of course lots of us experienced motorcycling ‘the hard way’ in the 70’s. Riding up the A5 (when it had a suicide lane) from London to Northamptonshire on a Casal 125 two-stroke, is enough to teach you why the Portuguese ride a donkey. Similarly, lots of us have enjoyed motorcycles (and motorcycling) since, most often on much better machinery than we used to own and often endure.

But that has little to nothing to do with AI as a tool to help to create trips. Of course nobody is obliged to use AI and, of course, everyone should know how to read and use a map for themselves, along with how to sieve any information dished up from the internet. That said, the words ‘should’ and ‘actually do or can’ are clearly not easy bedfellows. You only have to look at some of the requests for help / advice (let’s be generous and call it ‘research’) in the travel section to see that AI or just a few minutes on Google, coupled to a bit of imagination and self help, would sort it out. Yes, it can all be regarded as spoon feeding; but that’s what some motorcycle riders want apparently. Generously, others then contribute their time to help load the holiday onto a spoon and dish it up on a plate.

Is AI here to stay? Yes and it will grow, learning as it does.

Will it become as normal as say, turning on the TV or using a calculator instead of a slide rule? Yes, undoubtedly.

Will it ruin our lives? No, at least not any time soon within the very narrow activity of motorcycling.

Not least, if it all gets too much, we can always just go for a ride on a motorcycle. It cures everything, apparently. Anyone got a route….?

:beerjug:
 
Last edited:


Back
Top Bottom