Wapping's Wanders - 'Beginners' weekend 28/29 April - DEFINITE DATE

Its well known to the tossers :D Saint Arnould but me and the owner Sandrine are coming back to England on Monday and flying to Malta on Thursday so it will be closed, pop over the bridge and the café called Le Soloel le vant is owned by Al he speaks very good english and is very funny, just say Lloyd sent you :thumb2

I also booked a table for you all in the italian so they are expecting you :eek:

Al also has something in a bottle that his grandfather made, it made my eyes water!

I will publish the routes on Wednesday evening.

Richie, thanks for your PM. We'll fix up where to meet.

I won't be at the hotel the night before, so see you all at the passenger centre thing before boarding the train. Those that are hoteling the night before, will doubtless find each other.

Boarding has become very haphazard on the last three trains I have taken.

I will PM everyone my mobile number.

Final list of Wanderers:

Single rooms - 5

Wapping
N Harrid
Paula
Ian Morton
Justin

Double - 1

Phil

Twin - 2

JacQ & son
Corrie & Mark

Restaurant booked for Saturday evening by LBL (good man that he is)

====

Richie too, who made his own room booking. He will join us en-route....

Routes in Mapsource, hosted on Dropbox.

OUT: Two alternatives. (1) If it is really wet, (2) If it isn't

BACK: A scenic return

I will create them all in Excel format this evening.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Final Bouillon jaunt.gdb

====

Richie, I will work out where to meet you.

Great, I have a service booked in France for 9:30am then I will head down to the cafe for a RDV. If it is pissing down I can suggest somewhere to stop in Tournai....

IMPORTANT - Change

Hello all you Wanderers..... I have changed the route.

It was proving too difficult to have a choice of outward routes and work out where to rendezvous with Richie. I have DELETED the WET route.

There's not a lot in it either way and having a wet route alternative was filling me with needless negative waves anyway.

I have taken out the stop at the fuel station when leaving the train. Coming out of the fuel station, it is a real pain to join the motorway. Not least there is a very narrow roundabout where it is difficult (and often dangerous) to leave a marker. On leaving the train, head for the fuel station but stop on its entry slip road.... DO NOT GO INTO THE STATION ITSELF. We can all gather up there just to make sure we are all present, then off we go.

I have also tidied up our return route, making it a bit neater.

I have created both the routes in Excel, to shove in or on a tank bag. They do come in useful if we have a detour as it helps to remind the riders where it is we are meant to be heading, something an 'off route' GPS is not very good at.

Again, the revised Mapsource routes and the Excel file have been hosted on Dropbox.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Calais - Bouillon - Calais.xls

Richard

PS Richie, can we meet you in Bohain. I'll work out a rough time later this evening

Hello all you Wanderers..... I have changed the route.

It was proving too difficult to have a choice of outward routes and work out where to rendezvous with Richie. I have DELETED the WET route.

There's not a lot in it either way and having a wet route alternative was filling me with needless negative waves anyway.

I have also tidied up our return route, making it a bit neater.

I have created both the routes in Excel, to shove in or on a tank bag. They do come in useful if we have a detour as it helps to remind the riders where it is we are meant to be heading, something an 'off route' GPS is not very good at.

Again, the revised Mapsource routes and the Excel file have been hosted on Dropbox.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14126843/Calais - Bouillon - Calais.xls

Richard

PS Richie, can we meet you in Bohain. I'll work out a rough time later this evening

Yep I have loaded it in my GPS already and will be there earlier than you guys. I reckon on being there by 12:30 at the latest. it is only 60 miles from where I am having the bike serviced, which is just oil and filter...

What else?

We have a reasonably large group, which is great. We will definitely run the marker 'drop-off' system, for sure. We will go through it on the train, just in case anyone has forgotten (or doesn't know) how it works.

Please can everyone stop off at the Shell fuel station (early arrivals) on the M20 junction 11, just before the Chunnel exit at 11A to fill up. That will make sure we can all crack off without too much delay. There is fuel en-route and we'll definitely fill up on arrival at Bouillon, to be ready for Sunday.

Inevitably, there is a mixture of runners and riders on the jaunt, some experienced, some less so. That was the whole idea, after all. Just have in mind that maybe not everyone is a true riding god. Treat everyone the same way (or better) than you would expect them to treat you.

It may well be wet but that is life. That being said, I think the weather is similar to here, maybe a heavy downpour and then sunshine. It was certainly like that last Sunday. All part of the fun.

Richard

What a great weekend Richard thanks. Nice roads and a nice group of people from your other site too. Excellent stuff.

Only downer was three hours of rain today to get home, but I did it all on small roads. Not many cars and a few other bikes. Now chilling out with a hot cup of tea

Hi Richie, excellent (as always) that you could make it along. First class timing to roll-up just as we arrived at the payage barrier.

Despite dire weather forebodings and news from the UK that it was peeing down back home, we were incredibly lucky. The heaviest rain I think we saw all weekend was on Saturday morning's early-doors blat down the M20 to the Chunnel. Everything after that was near enough OK, bar the odd heavish shower. Indeed much of the time it was up in the high teens, not sunny but good biking weather.

I really enjoyed the jaunt and the company of all the Wanderers. But the biggest hats off must go to Paula H ('Pooh') on her first venture abroad on a motorcycle.... Well done, 'Honorary bloke' * .... and to Jac-Ass's son, Jake, who at only 10 is already another 'Honary bloke', what a great lad:thumb2

I will definitely run the same Wander again later in the year.

Richard

*In true 'Honary bloke' style, Paula ignored Belgium's one hour time difference this morning. But I'm sure it was just a cunning ruse, to make sure someone got her bike out of the garage and have it waiting ready outside the hotel. Very clever.

PS If anyone thinks that only a GS will do.... We met a whole gang of scooter riders at the Chunnel on Saturday morning, all off to Lille for an overnight camping rally and a track day on Sunday. GSA 'Adventure' with panniers like telephone boxes? Pah! Two-stroke oil, a Tesco carrier bag and one spanner.... It's the future! Really friendly guys and a good laugh to chat to whilst waiting for the (delayed) train.

That was indeed a great weekend Richard, thanks for organising and leading. Turned out nice again :D

Good to meet you Richie.. glad you got home ok and as you said, nice roads and a nice Bunch of people (inc Mark and Corey ;))

Phil

ps who's got the Pictures of North London Cookies cheesy grin? :D

I'll lob the pictures up this evening.... As usual, several at the Chunnel and stuffing our faces.... Nothing inbetween :D

Back
Top Bottom