Weekend in London. Getting about.

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Herself and meself are going to London on Friday for the weekend, arriving into Heathrow T2 at about 10.30am and leaving late Sunday evening.

We will be staying in the Premier Inn in Richmond.
Saturday sees us at Twickenham Stoop to watch Harlequins v Ulster along with Chasmill and Wapping which we are very much looking forward to.

Which is the best (easiest) way to travel from Heathrow to Richmond? I'm thinking train into a main city station then transfer to Richmond? I have zero knowledge of travelling about in London so if you can suggest a route or indeed a good app I would be most grateful.

I'm not sure where we are meeting up with Charles and Richard before the match, but again simple travel suggestions from Richmond to the stadium would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Heathrow to Richmond.

I’d suggest: Piccadilly line to Turnham Green, then District line to Richmond. Then walk to hotel.

But….. Let’s check for any planned engineering works for next weekend first. The TfL website is pretty good, as it can accept future travel plans, as can Google Maps.

The alternative is Heathrow Express (pricey) to Paddington, then Hammersith & City line to Hammersmith, then District line to Richmond.

Best way from Richmond to Twickenham? One stop by train.

PS I’d suggest we meet either at the Stoop. TBA as to where and when, as Charlie has the tickets, or at the Albany pub, Twickenham (where we go after the match) from where we can walk to the Stoop or at Twickenham train station.

Twickenham station / the Albany pub is about 15 to 20 minutes walk to the Stoop.

I guess I’ll meet Charlie at Waterloo station, so meeting at Twickenham station might be best?

Last edited:
I use the app by Zuti and it’s showing this route.

Maybe work downloading for the trip?

IMG_2542.jpeg

Best Travel card?

IMG_4857.jpeg

Looking at the TfL site, you can get an R70 bus from outside your hotel, which will drop you off just a short walk from Twickenham rail station. This might be a better option than walking from your hotel to Richmond railway station, as there is not a lot in it time wise.

Failing that, download the Uber app and use them for the journey between your hotel and Twickenham station.

Thank you very much for the suggestions gentlemen, as I say I have zero knowledge of London so appreciate the help.

I'll be in touch with Charles during the week Richard, but meeting at Twickenham station seems ideal. Thank you.

In terms of the rugby and after getting humped by Toulouse featuring a pretty much unplayable DuPont last night I don't fancy our chances against the Quins. Still, I'm looking forward to watching Smith and Dombrandt who I have admired for quite some time now.

Quins handed out a stuffing to Cardiff last night, who didn’t score at all in the second half.

One of my worst nights at the Stoop, involved watching us lose to Cardiff, a few years ago.

Check out the TfL site. Isn't there a daily maximum charge using your contactless credit card no matter how many journeys you do (bus train or both)?

tom

Check out the TfL site. Isn't there a daily maximum charge using your contactless credit card no matter how many journeys you do (bus train or both)?

tom

Note: TfL does not run the Heathrow Express, so their fare does not sit inside the cap.

TFL do a good Application showing options for getting from A to B and I'm guessing it will have up to date information regarding delays, closures etc.
You enter a start/finish point and you get a no. of choices.
Tfl Go: Live Tube, Bus and Rail.

Sounds like a good weekend, 3 of the nicest people on the site and That London.
Have a great time, stay safe and let's hope for an Ulster victory over The Establishment.

Will there be pictures of the trip?

The Tfl Application even recognises Premier Inn, Richmond. This is what it suggests for your journey (based on now).
No doubt the resident Pearly Kings will be able to tell you how useful it is. 👍

Screenshot_20240114_140044_TfL Go.jpg

Once you've decided which one you like the look of click on it and it gives you more details. The top option gives you this.Screenshot_20240114_140136_TfL Go.jpg

Clicking on 'Live buses at this stop' gives you an idea of how long till your bus comes along and being London let's you know what other buses might turn up at the same time so you know which ones to avoid.

If you do download the Application I'd recommend having a little fiddle about with it before you hit The Big Smoke so you know what you're looking at.

Thank you very much for the suggestions gentlemen, as I say I have zero knowledge of London so appreciate the help.

I'll be in touch with Charles during the week Richard, but meeting at Twickenham station seems ideal. Thank you.

In terms of the rugby and after getting humped by Toulouse featuring a pretty much unplayable DuPont last night I don't fancy our chances against the Quins. Still, I'm looking forward to watching Smith and Dombrandt who I have admired for quite some time now.
I’m in Orlando this week, returning Friday morning so may be a while responding. As Wapping said, I’ll meet him at Waterloo on Saturday morning - don’t forget it is an early kick off at 1pm?

OK.

Charlie, there is an 11:30 train from Waterloo, arriving Twickenham at 11:58. I suggest we aim for that. We don’t want to miss it as there seems to be a reduced service. Meet you under the clock, as usual?

Aiden, let’s meet at Twickenham station at noon.

The front of the station looks like this, a considerable improvement on the past. I suggest we meet by this sign thing.

IMG_4859.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom