Weiser Wizard Rear Indicator with brake only Denali B6 connection

I assume that the Weiser Tech is dealers can get them if not contact Mark direct.
 
WT’s new above number plate Denali bracket fitted today. Very pleased with it.
Is that designed just for the BMW rack? I like the idea of having my B6 higher than below the number plate but I have a GIVI rack and top box so it probably wouldn’t fit. Plus I use that space for a little bag of essentials, though I could relocate that.
 
Looks like it fits below the luggage rack, using the existing couple of fasteners. I like the bracket but I'm not loving the tape holding the wire to the underside of the luggage rack. For me, I think it depends on whether or not there is an accessible route for wiring the light.
 
Looks like it fits below the luggage rack, using the existing couple of fasteners. I like the bracket but I'm not loving the tape holding the wire to the underside of the luggage rack. For me, I think it depends on whether or not there is an accessible route for wiring the light.
You can feed the cable through the same way as for the light on the bottom of the number plate or you can use the stick on cable clips (as shown in a previous post on the back of the number plate) if you prefer that to the tape.. I’m going to do the former but wanted to try it out first and also let others know about the new bracket..
 
You can feed the cable through the same way as for the light on the bottom of the number plate or you can use the stick on cable clips (as shown in a previous post on the back of the number plate) if you prefer that to the tape.. I’m going to do the former but wanted to try it out first and also let others know about the new bracket..

Where the bracket is attached there's cable behind the panel - to supply the central locking for the top box, so I guess there's a way through somewhere? At least, that's how it is on my bike, which has the Topcase carrier option.
 
Bumping this thread with a couple of questions:

1. To install the Denali B6, do I really have to remove the pannier rails in order to release the bike tail and get access to feed a wire?

2. I tested the Weiser Wizards (rear) from my R1250GS on the R1300GS. They worked fine, so, as I already have an Ez-can, I can't see any reason to buy the new v5 wizards. Am I missing anything?

Just circling back to this...

Q1 was answered already. Without rear radar, it was only necessary to remove the number plate and plate holder in order to gain access to feed the B6 wire up in the under-seat area.

Q2. I asked Mark at Weiser. His response:

Yes the modules from your 1250 will work no problem on the 1300 GS as long as you pair them with the B6 as a running and brake light to stay legal.

Be aware the RS version we make for the 1300 reverts to OEM functionality automatically when the hazards are on (otherwise you have no running and brake lights) to maintain legal continuity.

So, as I was fitting a B6, I used the wizards from my R1250GS and everything works fine.
 
I’m just about to press the button on this kit for my r1300……but which button to press?
Brake only or brake and rear? Now some of you have had for a while, thoughts please?

Second question is IF I just got the wizard kit indicators only, but installed the B6 light linked to a Hex easy can, can you via that get the brake function to work always, but the rear light function only at night?
 
Had my indicator and brake only for a while and would choose same again.
The only problem to me was indication whilst braking wasn't very clear.
 
I’m just about to press the button on this kit for my r1300……but which button to press?
Brake only or brake and rear? Now some of you have had for a while, thoughts please?

Second question is IF I just got the wizard kit indicators only, but installed the B6 light linked to a Hex easy can, can you via that get the brake function to work always, but the rear light function only at night?

I've got the brake and rear running light, and I'd choose the same again. I have the running light set at 10%, which seems to be about the same brightness as the OEM running lights.

On my bike, using the wizards from the 1250, if the hazards are on, the OEM running lights and brake lights are off, so the B6 running light is necessary to keep the bike strictly legal.

As for the question about the rear light functioning only at night, I'm pretty sure that is not an option in the Hex configuration.
 
Slight problem I'm encountering with my WIZARDS - RA/BR + B6 AUX BRAKE LIGHT on a 1300GS.

On 4 or 5 occasions in the last 1000 miles since the Wizards were fitted I've had a rear brake light malfunction warning on my TFT screen. When I remove this with the wizz wheel I then get a cruise control malfunction warning (obviously the c/c is linked to the braking system). The common facor seems to be that it happens after I am braking and indicating at the same time. On inspection one brake/indicator light and the Denali brake/running is out (so it's not a TFT malfunction) although the indicator still works. If I stop and switch off all rear lights then work as intended.

I sent Mark an email asking for advice and he rang me back...great service. He did say that there had been a few recorded issues like this a while ago but had generally been resolved by BMW software updates. Checking my software code showed that mine is out if date, so I hope that this will cure the problem when I have the bike serviced next Feb or March (I've more than one bike and will probably sorn the GS at the end of this month). A short tem solution is to disconnect the Denali running/brake light although I am reluctant to do this.
 
Thanks Mike R, hopefully as my bike is very new this wont be a problem. Good to know that Weiser are on it for customer service. I dont judge a company if there is a fault...that happens, but I do judge how they deal with it.
 
Thanks Mike R, hopefully as my bike is very new this wont be a problem. Good to know that Weiser are on it for customer service. I dont judge a company if there is a fault...that happens, but I do judge how they deal with it.
So true…. It’s not If a problem occurs ( things happen) but to me it’s how a company deal with any complaint , and from seeing WW , they appear to have excellent customer service , and a great product too.

I fitted the WW and brake/ tail light not long after getting my 13gs as I thought it was a far safer system than the original bmw idea.
I’m a very happy customer as the WW were easy to fit after watching the video, and it all works great.

Another thing id have never known about if it wasn’t for this fine forum.
 
You can feed the cable through the same way as for the light on the bottom of the number plate or you can use the stick on cable clips (as shown in a previous post on the back of the number plate) if you prefer that to the tape.. I’m going to do the former but wanted to try it out first and also let others know about the new bracket..
I’m struggling working out how to fit the high level B6 rear light but route the cable. The rear numberplate hanger and the housing that hides the top case power mount both clip in flush. Where did you route yours?
 
Well after much faffing I realised the only way to mount the high level B6 without the cable trailing under the rack and through the notch below the rear seat, which IMHO looks crap, is to drill a 10mm hole the in rear cover that houses the Topcase power, and run the B6 cable along the same route as the Topcase power cable. It means removing the pannier mounts and rear rack out of the way and dropping the numberplate mount to feed the cable into the underseat area. A bit of adhesive rubber strip around the cable and slid into the drilled hole should keep moisture out.

However after fitting, with everything working as expected I find the indicators flash randomly after powering off the bike for about 2-3 minutes. You can’t connect the Weisercan incorrectly as every plug and socket is unique, plus it all works with power on. I assume the Canbus system is slowly powering down to keep the battery in good shape and this is being picked up by the Weisercan and interpreted as indication signals, which stops once the power drops completely. I’ve emailed them as I don’t think it should be happening. Has anyone else had this?
 
Root cause seems to be that one indicator connector wasn’t pushed fully home (or popped out partially when refitting). Checking connections again and it hasn’t reoccurred. There is very little space under the 1300GS seats so putting the indicator connectors back into their clips is a bit awkward. Big thanks to Mark at Weiser for his help.
 
A riding friend and I both have the latest BMW stock set up. I am really pissed off with BMW. Even though I know the set up, it is very difficult to see my mate's indicator when he brakes. Your average road user will not see it. It is dangerous. I believe driving standards are, on the whole, poorer (I regularly have people pulling out in front of me, which didn't happen as much in the past) and then BMW land us with a marginal rear light solution.

BMW need to sort this out and sort out a retro-fit. Not right we should have to pay out additional money to make us safer, when this should be correct from the factory. I can see other areas where corners are being cut (seat quality, for example), but, in my humble view, clear rear lighting is a safety issue that should never have been compromised and I am amazed they are not being held to account for it.

As I understand it, the Weiser solution switches off the brake light on the side that's indicating, halving the brake lights. Not sure I want to go down that route, especially if it's a non-'homologated' solution. Who is at fault if I'm rear-ended and the driver complains they didn't see me brake? I suspect a difficult one for them to argue, but I am taking a different risk. Really, I'd like a clearly visible, separate brake light, nicely integrated into the tail, like the early 1250GS. Two separate lights for two distinct manoeuvres, like average Joe driver is expecting.
 


Back
Top Bottom