Wheel balance symptoms

Hubs

Active member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
171
Reaction score
29
Location
Totnes, Devon
Had my tyres changed, and I’ve now got an odd vibration which starts at “cough” about 85; feels high frequency and a vertical oscillation I can feel in the bars. Haven’t found out a speed it stops at yet. No yaw or twitch, just uncomfortable. I can also see where wheel weights were on the rim but aren’t any more. Does that sound like a balancing problem to you?
 
out of balance wheel , would ( IME) start at around 50mph . depending on how out it is .
go back and get it checked.
i always used to leave all the weights on , spin it , and remove weights if that is what was needed , before adding more .
PLUS i would spin it 3 times minimum , in the whole process .
the machine may have a "fine" button , to do fine tuning below 5 grams.
get them to use dynamic mode not static mode.
 
Do you have tpms sensors on the valves? If yes, then regardless, there will have to be weights... The sensors weigh approx 40g each, so before you even start balancing, weights are needed...

On another note, if the tyre is fitted properly (bead seated) and weights added, then check for radial run-out. This doesn't need to be out so far (compared to actual run-out) to cause vibration. If it has radial run-out then truing is the only fix
 
Took a few rides, but solution was found. Went back to the tyre dealer, who suggested weights were ok but there was wheel runout. I rechecked with a custom indicator gauge (zip ties) and couldn’t see any. Deflated and reinflated the tyre, overinflated, then reset the pressure and it was a lot better. Then noted that I had a difference between the pressure set by the forecourt machine and the on board tyre pressure gauge of about 0.5 bar. So, went back with a decent hand held gauge, and got it to 36/42 front and back, which onboard gauge agreed with. It was notable that to do this, I set the forecourt pump to 42 then 50. Need to go check my car tyres now… Bike is now steering sharper, and the vibration is gone.
 


Back
Top Bottom