Which lightweight and compact cook-set?

RD.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Which lightweight and compact cook-set do you recommend?

I have done a search here and cannot find any posts about this subject.
My cook-set requirements compact and lightweight with 2 or 3 pots / pans, the largest capacity 1.7L or smaller.
I dislike bare aluminium pots and pans, although treated / anodised aluminium is ok.
Titanium is my preferred metal and stainless steel is good but heavy in comparison.

I have two MSR Dragonfly stoves, I prefer multi-fuel stoves because I cannot be arsed with gas cannister stoves carry spare gas cannisters or worse, trouble finding an outlet / stockist for a specific brand of gas cannister. I know gas is cleaner and probably more convenient to start but diesel, petrol, paraffin are far more readily available, although aviation fuel might be a problem! :D

So, pots and pans suitable for multi-fuel and wood burning type stoves.

My stainless steel cook-set is great but it is heavy and the capacity too large, however they're ideal for a family camp.

I've owned 2 GSAs (TC & LC) which are brilliant for two-up kitchen sink camping but solo lightweight camping on my old KTM 690 Enduro R beckons hence my compact and lightweight type of camping.

Thank you in advance for your constructive recommendations. :thumb

If we are to assume that it’s your motorbike that’s carrying the weight (as opposed to you) then this article might be of interest to you:

Then it’s nothing more than deciding how much you want to spend (titanium, being the most expensive) and to some degree or another, the style of the pots. In other words, do they fit and remain stable on your preferred burners.

If we are to assume that it’s your motorbike that’s carrying the weight (as opposed to you) then this article might be of interest to you:

Then it’s nothing more than deciding how much you want to spend (titanium, being the most expensive) and to some degree or another, the style of the pots. In other words, do they fit and remain stable on your preferred burners.
Thanks for the link, it is informative and useful. (y)

As much as I like titanium, it's the lightest, strongest but most expensive but I think it isn't for me...
I usually do more than just boil water for a hot beverage or dehydrated meal, so I have ruled this out.

Stainless steel or anodised aluminum are more my thing.
The MSR anodised aluminium ceramic set looks the job but I also like the MSR Alpine Stowaway set, the number of cookware and their capacities are ideal.

Mmm.... Decisions!

I have ( amongst others ) a Trangia 27. Same as this one. I also have the orange carry bag and trangia gas burner that fits in it too. Oh, and the gel burner tin too. Absolutely fantastic bit of kit! :clap
Cant recommended it high enough. :thumb2
It’s definitely NOT the 5kgs it says in the advert! :nenau More like 0.5kgs.
Totally agree, hard to beat the Trangia set up & it packs up really small with everything inside. If I want to do some grilling, I also have one of these https://esbit.de/en/product/fold-away-charcoal-grill-bbq300s/

Reactions: RD.
I have ( amongst others ) a Trangia 27. Same as this one. I also have the orange carry bag and trangia gas burner that fits in it too. Oh, and the gel burner tin too. Absolutely fantastic bit of kit! :clap
Cant recommended it high enough. :thumb2
It’s definitely NOT the 5kgs it says in the advert! :nenau More like 0.5kgs.
This Trangia cook-set looks compact and lightweight but I doubt that I would use the alcohol burner. I only want to carry one type of fuel (petrol) although diesel is safer but more sooty.

Also, I wonder if the Trangia set would work with my two MSR Dragonfly stoves.

This gas stove is inexpensive and no doubt works well with the Trangia cook-set but I do not want to use a gas stove and have to carry spare gas canisters and worse have to find a stockist who has a particular brand / make in stock.

I'm happy with multi-fuel stoves and if my fuel bottle is empty, I have the option to drain some fuel from my bike which has the Rally Raid reserve petrol tanks.

The cookware needs to work with my two MSR Dragonfly stoves.

The easiest thing with the very efficient gas canisters, is to simply buy a cross-section of the adaptors. This means, no matter where you are, you’ll find a canister to use.

The easiest thing with the very efficient gas canisters, is to simply buy a cross-section of the adaptors. This means, no matter where you are, you’ll find a canister to use.

Well that makes the ebay stove which Cheney Triumph posted a link too, and other stoves which use gas canisters much more attractive.
Recycling empty disposable gas canisters and carrying a full spare detracts from the appeal though but it is certainly a different alternative to consider.

I refill my small gas cans from the bigger ones so I don’t have to keep buying the small, very expensive ones. I get the big 500’s in a box of 6 ( approx £28 ) and use those to do it with. :thumb2
I use one of these to transfer the gas ( liquid ) over.
https://amzn.eu/d/8UU7zox
I weighed the full small one on an accurate digital scale so I know how much to refill it with. If you put too much in you can get a big flare up if you’re not careful.

Last edited:
I refill my small gas cans from the bigger ones so I don’t have to keep buying the small, very expensive ones. I get the big 500’s in a box of 6 ( approx £28 ) and use those to do it with. :thumb2
I use one of these to transfer the gas ( liquid ) over.
https://amzn.eu/d/8UU7zox
I weighed the full small one on an accurate digital scale so I know how much to refill it with. If you put too much in you can get a big flare up if you’re not careful.
I like this method of using gas. (y)

Buying several small expensive disposable gas canisters and then running out of gas in the middle of cooking a proper meal / English breakfast is annoying and then having to find a place to dispose of empty gas canisters or having to carry an empty gas canister to a place where it can be recycled or disposed of properly would irk me but I really like this concept of buying big gas canisters which is more financially economical and reusing and refilling the smaller gas canisters..... I did not know this was possible for the consumer..... Brilliant!

You've got me looking at compact backpacking gas stoves now!
🙄🤔😂

Last edited:
I like this method of using gas. (y)

Buying several small expensive disposable gas canisters and then running out of gas in the middle of cooking a proper meal / English breakfast is annoying and then having to find a place to dispose of empty gas canisters or having to carry an empty gas canister to a place where it can be recycled or disposed of properly would irk me but I really like this concept of buying big gas canisters which is more financially economical and reusing and refilling the smaller gas canisters..... I did not know this was possible for the consumer..... Brilliant!

You've got me looking at compact backpacking gas stoves now!
🙄🤔😂
I did a quick review on a cracking little compact gas burner the other day. And only £10 from Go Outdoors.

I did a quick review on a cracking little compact gas burner the other day. And only £10 from Go Outdoors.
Wow... That's a cracking price!

Back
Top Bottom