Wiring Heated Seats to a R1250GS that was supplied without.

Pillion Seat Wiring.

There are 4 wires going to the plug from the Heated Pillion Seat.

No 1 Brown
No 2 White/Green
No 3 White/Yellow
No 4 White/Blue

With the meter set to Ohms I have a reading of 9.1 when I switch the switch to High with the meter connected to
No 2 White/Green
No 4 White/Blue
No reading when switch is off or on Low.

So I have just ordered the Adapter Lead, Seat Heating, Pillion Seat 61127688147. Then I will cut off one plug and solder a HEX ezCAN lead to it.

I will update when I have this fitted.

Also purchased a Digital infrared thermometer gun so I can record temperatures
 
Last edited:
Found this on a different site. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/...an-oem-heated-seat-on-a-2019-r1250gs.1609961/

This is with regards to fitting heated seats the BMW way.

It appears as well as buying a pair of heated seats. You also need the three looms. Plus a Satellite Unit.
Then no guarantees that your bike could be programmed for the seats to work.

Still tempted to give it a try. However. It’s not going to be cheap even buying a s/h Satellite Unit.
There are several different Satellite Units available with different part numbers. Most common being
Part no. 61358560091


IMG_5630.jpg
 
Last edited:
Right. I’m going for it. Just purchased a Satellite Unit.
Next I will obtain the 3 new looms.

I will then see if I can connect it all together. Then scan my bike with a GS911 tool.
If that works. Brilliant.

If it doesn’t I will see if I can get it connected at a Motorrad dealer and programmed.

If that doesn’t work. Then the seats will be ezCAN controlled.

IMG_5633.jpeg
 
Think this is getting a bit confusing for you all.

So I will concentrate on using an ezCAN to make the factory heated seats work.

The best way I think to control the Pillion seat is to get a HEX ezCAN Y Splitter. Then connect that to both the BMW short seat looms.

One output used from the ezCAN instead of two.

The pillion seat should then hopefully have 5 different heat settings. Same as the riders seat. Also, the pillion seat should work via the Pillion on/off switch. So I can leave that off when not required.

I will possibly still look at modifying my bike to work the conventional BMW way. But for now it will be ezCAN controlled.

IMG_5635.jpeg
 
Quick Q,

how are you going to control the heat setting

I know the Hexez has the ability to control some circuits on the fly , but is it capable

The motorcycle's computer (ZFE) often regulates the power using pulse-width modulation (PWM)
rather than a constant draw, meaning lower heat settings pulse the power to reduce the average draw.

a bit like a posh stat

it would appear you can do this with the Hexez

How PWM Works on the ezCAN

Fast Switching: It flashes the output voltage extremely quickly and imperceptibly to lower the perceived brightness of connected lights. [1, 2]
Dedicated Wires: Installation kits typically include specific PWM terminal wires (orange with a white tracer) to hook up lights requiring this dimming signal. [1]
Compatibility: It allows you to dim standard two-wire LED auxiliary lights that do not feature a separate third dimming control wire
 
Quick A
The temperature is controlled via the heated clothing setting on the HEX ezCAN program.
Then you can adjust the heat to the seat by %

See here.

Heated Grips Setting. ——Heated Rider/Pillion Seat.
Setting 1 - 20%—————10%
Setting 2 - 40%————— 20%
Setting 3 - 60%————— 30%
Setting 4 - 80%————— 40%
Setting 5 - 100%—————50%

Grip Setting set with GS911 tool.

Seat Setting set with HEX ezCAN via laptop.

Hope that makes sense.
 
Last edited:
Went out today.
Even though it was 18 degrees I had the heated grips and heated seat on.
Found the seat a bit warm compared to the grips.

Previous setting 3 on the grips 60% made the seat too warm at 30%
This was wearing summer gloves and jeans.

So a minor tweak.
I guess it will be tweaked again when I wear the winter gloves.

It’s going to be November in a little over five weeks. Christmas in three months.

Heated Grips Setting. ——Heated Rider/Pillion Seat.
Setting 1 - 20%—————0%
Setting 2 - 40%————— 0%
Setting 3 - 60%————— 10%
Setting 4 - 80%————— 20%
Setting 5 - 100%—————30%
 
Last edited:
Success I think.

Received the HEX ezCAN Y piece and the BMW pillion loom today.

Connected Y piece to the ezCAN red output. One plug to Riders Seat. Other to Pillion.
Both seats measured 28 Degrees before switching on.

Heated grips switched to 5 which at present is set to 100%

Rider & Pillion Seat both set to 30% power when grips set to no 5. (Full Power)

Within 5 minutes. Both seats hovered around 34 degrees.
Pillion seat switch set to the right.

So that’s me done. If I have any issues or feel the temperature is too low or too high I will update.

No real plan to buy three more looms and Satellites unit and try and do the seats the conventional way.

1 Riders Seat lead.
2 Pillion Seat lead.
3 HEX ezCAN Y Splitter.

IMG_7206.jpeg
 
I bought one of the 23 bikes that didn't have the heated seat option as std. At the time I was told it was due to chip shortage left over from COVID. It wasn't the seats but the control element and harness side of the circuit that was missing. They also told me it couldn't be retrospectively fitted as the lums are totally different and other elements aren't fitted to non heated seat bikes. Of course you'll be able to power the seat/s but without the elements listed above you'll not be able to control them via the bike cambus system. Which is why Wunderlich have two versions of their heated seats, 1 for bikes OE fitted with heated seats and the other without. The latter is controlled via switches on the seats.
 


Back
Top Bottom