I've gone and done it!

Silver Shadow

OK,
Finally got my test ride on the GS today.
Had 2 hours in the super-hot London weather managed a lot of commuting style riding (appalling summer gridlock in west London), about 20 miles of fast dual-carriageway and a few mile on the twisties.

My first impression of the GS was that it was too big (for my 5' 10" height), compared to the Thundercat it is indeed a monster - completely different to anything I'd ridden before, after a quick briefing on the controls I was away. After 5 minutes I was ready to take it back, thought that this was not for me and I'd head over to the Honda dealer to get a VFR!

Shame to waste a gorgeous day though so thought I'd persist, and after stalling a few times and quite a few indicator switch "moments", a near wheelie (accidental honestly Roy!) on Oxford street I finally harnessed the beast.

About 30 minutes later I was finally enjoying myself, after an hour I wanted to keep the bike!

Here’s my impressions:

Yep, it is a big bike, and heavy too but it seems extremely well balanced, also has a tendency to sink the side stand into the boiling hot tarmac in McDonalds car parks!

I’m not sure why the brakes get a slagging by the press (well, I guess it’s because they’re not attached to an R1) but they’re phenomenal.

Yep, the indicator switchgear takes some getting used to (2 hours was not enough for this).

The wind does buffet you at speed but it’s no worse than the Thundercat.

It does vibrate more that a 4 cyl “normal” engine, however this is more than compensated for by the comfort of the GS, also the upright riding position puts no strain on the wrists or back.
The bike is ideal for those, like me, are getting a wee bit long in the tooth for a sports bike, but don't want to loose the "fun" element.

I’m sure the heated grips are good but as the tarmac was melting I didn’t seem to need ‘em!

When I got back on the ‘cat it felt like a toy!

So conclusions…………. The VFR is cheaper and instantly familiar, just get on and ride. However if you compare the running costs (insurance for instance is £300 cheaper for me) & the less frequent service intervals, over a 3 year period you would more than recoup the difference.

If you’re unsure, get a test ride – I’m sure the GS is not for everyone, but for me it worked.

So am I buying one……………………… Yes, will be ordering on Monday!
Graphitan, ABS, Heated grips, pannier rails, hand guards, engine bars! Only questions now are:
Do I wait for an ’04 reg?
Who’s going to widen my gateway to get it in??!!??
:Catrun

Interesting questions.

You currently own a perfectly usable bike. In September, the new GS is unveiled (in Munich).

This should push the values of used R1150 GS models down (but I doubt it) a bit.

The new model will be untried, untested (apart from factory) and unknown. How many 1st release bikes hold their value?

My answer, go for a good 02/03 R1150GS.

Don't buy one from this forum coz they eat too many pies!

I had owned, begged, borrowed, stolen & raced Yamaha bikes for years in South Africa. I bought a Yam XTZ here & promptly crashed it. I realised the error of may ways & bought a BMW R850R. It's still great. I now own an R1150GS as well (2002).

Your choice. Take it from there.

Tok

Re: Interesting questions.

Tokoloshe said:
.... In September, the new GS is unveiled (in Munich).

This should push the values of used R1150 GS models down (but I doubt it) a bit.

The new model will be untried, untested (apart from factory) and unknown. How many 1st release bikes hold their value? ....

Just HOW certain is this, I've got 2 friends looking at BMWs right now and I'd hate for them to get tucked up....:confused:

Not true

My understanding is that it will be April next year earliest for a new model. Where do you get that Munich crap from?

Anyway, congratualtions mate, hope you enjoy it.....now push roy for as many extras and ask for a discount..

Don't forget the black engine;) Roy should be able to sort you out one in a few weeks I reckon.

Let me know when you get and we will go for a dance with the traffic

Nick

Reg

I think you misunderstand Tok,
when I say 04 I mean the new batch of rego's coming out 1st Sept...

Thanks Nick..... will certainly arrange to go and do the A40 shuffle with you!

Cheers
SS
:confused:

Ordered

That's it.... ordered!

Picking up 1st Sept. so I can get the new reg, which come to think of it is (I think) '53.

Can't wait!

Cheers
SS

Roy's had a good weekend. I ordered a GS from him on Friday.

See you on the road soon - I'm picking mine up around the 22nd Aug.

KP

Back
Top Bottom