Stelvio....first thoughts.

I managed about 150mls yesterday. Dry and about 7 degrees. I'd lifted the gear lever slightly before setting off and as I thought this eliminated the need to take my foot away from the lever after up-shifts. My boot was stopping the lever from coming down totally and not allowing me to select the next gear. Clutch action felt lighter than it did on Friday when I picked it up. This may have been due to my hands being very cold on Friday. I soon got used to the firmer feeling suspension although it still felt a little too firm on the rougher roads, roll on the S model with the semi active Ohlins. Not enough to spoil the experience though. Seat feels very firm but I was still comfortable after 80 miles continuous riding. It's without doubt the best handling Guzzi I have ever ridden and for me the best Guzzi overall I have ever ridden.
I found the bike very difficult to fault and had a huge grin on my face the whole time. I would say for me it's about perfect for the UK roads.
The front end soon gets very mucky and it will definately need a fender extender and radiator guard. I've not seen any out there yet.
One downside....It's a pain to clean!!!.

When is the S coming ?

Keep it coming please wrinkleyolwlie
I'm wondering of anyone will release a footpeg kit that allows a bit of adjustment. Probably easier and cheaper than messing with the seat if the other ergo dynamics are good...
You could contact Pyramid Plastics as they're relatively close to you. I've known them offer free plastics to trhe person who brings their bike it to them for a measuring session ;)
I've e.mailed Pyramid this morning. They did some measuring up on a mates V85 and gave him the items when they had them in production. They're usually pretty quick.
I've just fitted my sat nav, SW Motech foot pegs and I'll be putting on the Capanord hand guards tomorrow.

I would imagine next year. My last new bike.;)
You say that, most years, Steve ;) :JB

Makes you happy though and that’s all that counts

Enjoy

058b0bb3e4715797d6e5284b3c03de04.jpg

You say that, most years, Steve ;) :JB

Makes you happy though and that’s all that counts

Enjoy

058b0bb3e4715797d6e5284b3c03de04.jpg
I want to retire Johnny and I can't do that if I keep buying new bikes. Joanne and I have a long standing agreement. I go to work for my bike money, none of it comes out of joint savings. So I reckon the 'S' will come out when I'm around 70. I don't intend to work after that.

Any chance of a picture of where you fitted the sat nav please?

Thankyou

Kimbo

Sorry I cant do pictures. There's a sat nav bar above the dash. Wired it into the usb socket on the dash. Took me about 15mins. It's a switched live. If you want to pm me your number I could watts app you some tomorrow.

I managed about 150mls yesterday. Dry and about 7 degrees. I'd lifted the gear lever slightly before setting off and as I thought this eliminated the need to take my foot away from the lever after up-shifts. My boot was stopping the lever from coming down totally and not allowing me to select the next gear. Clutch action felt lighter than it did on Friday when I picked it up. This may have been due to my hands being very cold on Friday. I soon got used to the firmer feeling suspension although it still felt a little too firm on the rougher roads, roll on the S model with the semi active Ohlins. Not enough to spoil the experience though. Seat feels very firm but I was still comfortable after 80 miles continuous riding. It's without doubt the best handling Guzzi I have ever ridden and for me the best Guzzi overall I have ever ridden.
I found the bike very difficult to fault and had a huge grin on my face the whole time. I would say for me it's about perfect for the UK roads.
The front end soon gets very mucky and it will definately need a fender extender and radiator guard. I've not seen any out there yet.
One downside....It's a pain to clean!!!.

It’s about perfect for UK roads…..but the suspension is too firm and you can’t wait for the S version with Ohlins ?

Not sure they’ll do an S version. Surely they would have launched it at the same time as the basic version, like they did with the V100 Mandildo ?

It’s only different shocks etc plus possibly a few trinkets ?

I reckon they’ll launch an NTX version next year , perhaps with a bigger tank, bash plate and luggage, and possibly with Ohlins ?
Sent from my N65

I want to retire Johnny and I can't do that if I keep buying new bikes. Joanne and I have a long standing agreement. I go to work for my bike money, none of it comes out of joint savings. So I reckon the 'S' will come out when I'm around 70. I don't intend to work after that.

Good man
Sensible arrangement

I'm anxious to feel how much, if any, the shocks "soften up" over the next couple thousand miles. Initially they were too harsh on both my V85 and T700 but they did break in to where they're OK now. But going from memory I feel the Stelvio's suspension is starting off stiffer than the V85 so I'll see. Worse come to it I'll replace the shock with a Matris built to my weight along with fork springs, which'll likely be better than any electric suspension that Guzzi offers, and less money.

I'm anxious to feel how much, if any, the shocks "soften up" over the next couple thousand miles. Initially they were too harsh on both my V85 and T700 but they did break in to where they're OK now. But going from memory I feel the Stelvio's suspension is starting off stiffer than the V85 so I'll see. Worse come to it I'll replace the shock with a Matris built to my weight along with fork springs, which'll likely be better than any electric suspension that Guzzi offers, and less money.

Most bikes need the suspension on all types of bikes sorting out, for the riders weight & style
Never had a bike that didn’t need sorting out properly
Most people put it off (me included) but it’s money well spent and transformed the ride/enjoyment of said bike
My road going bikes have got Ohlins and are much the better for it

.....My road going bikes have got Ohlins and are much the better for it
I agree it's generally money well spent, especially if you keep the bike. I'm not that critical on road bikes and tolerate more than many would. Mostly what I worry about is that the springs are strong enough to get sag set.
But on bikes that'll see more bumpy dirt and gravel roads, having too much high speed damping can be awful. This Stelvio is fine for me on good roads but is pretty jarring on bad ones so I'm hoping it loosens up some. If not I'll deal with it.

One of the most delightful riding bikes I had was an Africa Twin 1000, that bike just glided over rocky roads, wash board, and broken pavement. But guys who did lots of jumps, rode fast over undulating terrain, magazine testers, etc., all complained it wasn't stiff enough. I later changed to a 2020 1100 Africa Twin and was disappointed because Honda listened and stiffened it up, it wasn't near as plush riding on rough stuff as the 2016 was.

Sorry I cant do pictures. There's a sat nav bar above the dash. Wired it into the usb socket on the dash. Took me about 15mins. It's a switched live. If you want to pm me your number I could watts app you some tomorrow.
Aw..thankyou for the reply,it was just out of interest really,forward planning for if I get the bike...hang on chief...mobile number incoming....

Kimbo

I just went out and compared the Stelvio to the V85. Both seats are stock however the rear bumper is off my V85 seat (which is shown with the orange line). I measured from where the sharp rise starts on the Stelvio seat, and for the V85 about where the bumper would start, if the bumper were on.

The Stelvio has 3/4" less distance from seat to peg but the pegs are about an inch farther forward.

View attachment 309185

I am 5'-11" w 32" inseam and find the V85 seat more comfortable with the bumper off because it allows me to scoot back another 3/4" when I want to.
I have the tall seat on order for the Stelvio which should raise it 3/4", exactly that of the V85 stock seat.
I did not measure, but the seat to bars distance feels a bit closer on the Stelvio.

(Sorry my rule is in inches, I should have converted to mm here)
Very good info there Clifton. I think my V85TT is the most comfortable bike I've owned, so for me the ergonomics are spot on. 6ft and 32" , all my GS's needed a Sargent seat and up at the front setting to get comfortable, V85TT completely stock. I get really cramped hips otherwise, my last RT was very cramped for me.....not considering the Stelvio at present but I would order the high seat straight away if and when I did 👍

I agree how comfortable the V85 is. It's also one of the very few motorcycles I haven't found the need to change seats. The Stelvio seat is not bad, but it's not quite as good as a V85 in that it is more dished, not quite as flat or long..

Anyone know if there are lower footpegs (or a kit to lower the stock ones) available? I assume ones for a Mandello would fit the Stelvio, maybe you would know, wrinkleyowlie? I'm just looking to go down a bit maybe 20mm.

Back
Top Bottom