K1200RS

~Stef~

Reaction score
Anyone got one ?

Thinking of adding one to the garage for when I fancy a bit of smooth woosh

Very nice indeed.

I had one and put about 20k on it in 9 months. Very smooth, very fast, very competent. Used to feel a bit like it was falling into corners, but that was probably me rather than the bike! Very, very comfortable once you're moving, but a bit heavy on the wrists in town.

Bit of a pain getting all the fairing bits off to do any work, and it ATE rear tyres. What finally made me sell it was the weight. I was doing a lot of work in London, and wrestling it in and out of spaces was a pig.

Would I have another one? Yep. :thumb2

Yep, same as him. I had one for about three years and recon it was a great bike. Had the same feeling of it dropping into bends until I got rid of the bridgestones and fitted Conti road attacks. Smooth and powerful with buckets of torque and very comfortable on long distances. I had the high screen which gave excellent protection. Got about 45 mpg no matter how I rode it. Had no mechanical probs but the fairing is a bit of a pain to get off. I once read that some journalist said that it was bms best ever bike and I do feel there is some truth in that( Do I get slung out of the forum now) certainly the gearbox is the best bm one I have ever had. As age is now getting to me so was the weight. not when riding but pushing it about so I chopped it in for a 650 Dakar. I do miss that seemingly endless rush though.

:rob

great bike

had about five of them, worth getting the GT heated seat, much better than the std one, even if you dont connect the heated bit.:D

This might seem like an odd question about a K1200RS but what are they like at slow speed riding, i.e. 50-60mph
You see I miss the endless grunt of my 1200 Trophy(s) but for some reason the 1200 Trophy in the 50-60 mph range feels like its engines churning away like mad, even tho the revs say 3500rpm it feels more like 8000. Wind it up to 5000 and it smooths out and goes wooosh, only thing is your then doing 85-90.

Thought the K12RS would give me the smooth woosh with tractable relaxed slow speed riding, for those odd occasions when I dont feel like hurrying

buffeting

Marvellous engine, smooth with plenty of torque and enough power. I got rid of mine because I could not escape the buffeting at motorway speeds. I tried everything, big screen, little screen, laminar lip, different seats, different bars, I really wanted to resolve it. I had not noticed it on a fairly long test ride, maybe because the rest was so good. I agree with the others about falling into corners and it was very easy to scrape the stand also

I am glad I had one but glad its gone too

Nick :beerjug:

This might seem like an odd question about a K1200RS but what are they like at slow speed riding, i.e. 50-60mph
You see I miss the endless grunt of my 1200 Trophy(s) but for some reason the 1200 Trophy in the 50-60 mph range feels like its engines churning away like mad, even tho the revs say 3500rpm it feels more like 8000. Wind it up to 5000 and it smooths out and goes wooosh, only thing is your then doing 85-90.

Thought the K12RS would give me the smooth woosh with tractable relaxed slow speed riding, for those odd occasions when I dont feel like hurrying

Cant remember what the revs were at those speeds but they were pretty low. the bike is very stable at slow speed with its low cog. picked up well in top from 50/60 . it does not feel heavy even at slow speed. I never had any buffetting at m/way speeds but I have a bmw helmet and maybe that makes a difference( I know that seems an odd thing to say but I have had buffetting on a K1 when wearing another make but none when wearing a Bm one) One thing that hasnt been mentioned is the superb value for money they represent. At present they are to be had for very little cash as they are not a popular bike but they are a quality build. :rob

What would a mint 2004 K1200RS be worth with ABS,cruise control,heated grips,panniers and inner bags ?

I have a 2003 K1200GT in pale green, with all the extras.

Its a great bike, but a bit heavy on the wrists when on minor roads. It also has too many gears as once on the move you just shift up to 5th and let it burble along. It will happily pull 4th at 30mph. 6th is fine at 50 and above.

Like the others, I love my 1150GSA but the 'K' has that great power rush. 130bhp and a yowling airbox can bring out the hooligan in you if you are not careful. It is very comfortable on a long ride, I once did 907 miles in 24 hours and could happily have continued (mind you, I have also done 1,034 in 20 hrs on the 1150GSA recently and those seats are not renowned for comfort).

The red line is around 9,000 (without going out to the garage to check) and I have never been near that so it isn't a howling sports bike.

I get around 42mpg on motorways and have had 54mpg around the Yorkshire Dales. The 21litre tank is a bit small - the low warning light comes on at around 160 and 200 miles can be squeezed if you are careful.

I was recently quoted £5,500 trade-in against a new 'GT' - but I don't know what that equates to when selling on the open market. One like mine is currently advertised at £6,000 but the actual selling price will undoubtedly be lower. Mine has 26,000 miles on it now.

It hasn't done much recently . . I bought the 1150GSA on 30th June and have since put 10,300 miles on it so maybe the 'K' will have to go. Decisions, Decisions.

Great bike though.

Back
Top Bottom