Does the 21" wheel effect handling on Dakar?

_pi_

Im fairly new to road riding - and have had a few blasts in Kent and more interestingly a nice w/e trip to wales (got back on Sunday :D ).

I was finding the handling to be a little slow and heavy at 50mph+ twisties... mind you i nearly got a peg down ... that is, i scraped my boot.

Anyone else find this to be the case? Would a smaller front wheel give much different handling?

I find the the 21" front wheel is very responsive, and I believe from Jon, that it is much more so than the standard GS with the smaller frontv wheel. If you counter-steer then the Dakar's tip into bends easily. Have a look on the 650 section about getting Dakar's round corners.

Jim

I would expect a larger front wheel to slow the steering down (effectively reducing steering rake).

Mike:confused:

The std GS's front rim is 2.50x19, whereas the Dakars is 1.60x21 - quite a lot narrower. In fact, when you first get on it after your std GS you think it won't have any grip at all!

I've found both versions very chuckable - especially with a bit of counter steering thrown in.

Just added a set of Touratech progressive springs to my Dakar and it's changed the handling noticeably - best money I've spent on the bike so far I reckon (and they're only £60 odd brand new)

If you've scrapped your boot, you're definitely getting it over.

Some things to consider with trail bikes.
1/ The bike is tall. So to go from one side to the other the bike has to move further.
2/ The centre of gravity is higher. So it's harder to move around the pivot point. i.e.the tyre contact patch.
3/ The steering geometry is "lazy". To give more stability over rough ground. This also makes the steering heavier.
4/ The 21" front wheel has more gyroscopic effect and so is harder to deflect/steer. Also gives greater stability on rough ground.
BUT :-
5/ You have wider bars to compensate for some of 3 & 4 above.

Once you learn how to ride a bike with long suspension travel. Like finishing all your braking whilst upright and before the corner in order to let the suspension spring back to normal to go round the corner. etc. You'll find (have found) that these bikes really are good fun to ride.
I'd stick with the 21". It gives you more scope to fit off road tyres if you want to explore that dirt road sometime in the future.

Thx for the replies gents - im new to the forms and appreciate the advice/experience.

I was able to get it over but found that steering while already leaned over was heavy (probably due to the gyroscope effect mentioned above). That is - am conscious to countersteer but to increase the coutersteering mid turn was heavy - say if the bend proves to be a bit tighter than anticipated :(

At any rate it was a blast... think will keep the 21'' wheel. What change would changing the springs have - more solid/firm feel? Im no lightweight so it may be a good idea (read 105 kgs).

I'm no bike techy (so these descriptions will be bolloxs) but;

I found the general handling off the bike improved immensly.

I find it sits in the corners much much better, there's no vagueness at all & it feels more firm.

Before (like Howard says) I'd set the corner up and, well, almost "carve" it, like you do skiing. (It's confirmed, Jon it NOT a bike techy)

You won't notice this until you change the springs or ride another bike with them, as you'll know no different and will have adapted your riding style to the bike.

It also just feels better/more firm/solid just riding normally - including in a straight line :D

Also stops the bike diving like an Olympic Champion when you have to hit the anchors in that panicky moment that all 650GS owners experience at least once in ownership of the bike :rolleyes:

I think what it is is that the distance between the spring coils narrows towards the bottom of the spring & these take up the intial/any little bumps instead of spreading them down the whole length of the spring. (Or techy words to that effect)

I'll try get hold of Jim & we'll go for a blast and swap bikes halfway thru and see if we can decribe the difference better. I know he's dying to have a go on mine & see what they're like.

Sounds like a plan. Im in SW london - how about you? West West West = Cornwall?

_pi_ said:
Sounds like a plan. Im in SW london - how about you? West West West = Cornwall?

oops just noticed the "London" at the end of the "west west west".

Back
Top Bottom