Y-piece without Chip - very confused!

Mike Chajkin

I have removed the Cat and replaced with a Sebring Y piece, with standard can. I am about to get the bike serviced and have been told by a BMW servicing expert that I cannot run this configuration without a chip or a Techlusion mod because of the leanness of the mixture and the danger of burning out exhaust valves.

Lots of you run a Y piece without chipping or spending the money on a Techlusion. You can't all be wrong (as has been suggested to me).

Can anyone please give me their definitive view on the dangers of the configuration I am using and whether the chip mod is essential or just 'noce to have'.

Thanks.

Try searching the site for "chip" or "y-piece" or "exhaust". You'll find a welter of information, most of it contradictory.

Welcome to the weird world of catless GS riding... and good luck!

maybe

maybe it's because bmw dealers used to sell Remus and now sell Laser which comes with a chip.
Profit over truth remember

Just had a Y-piece & Remus supplied & fitted by my BMW dealer along with 6000 service.
No chip offered/suggested - and reassurance that there was no need for one either!
However, I have heard about concerns ofer the effect of 'lean running' - so had new plugs fitted in attempt to monitor burning.
HTH

if you look at all the contrasting evidence about this issue - i reckon you'll have to come to the conclusion that it differs bike to bike. on my old 1150 i had a sebring y, standard can, removed the cat-code plug but kept the lambda in etc but had no chip or techlusion. after it got written off i had a good look at it, the plugs, discolouration on the y-piece itself, the soot at the end of the can, the improved fuel consumption etc, and i am absolutely convinced that it was running dangerously lean. and this could only have been even worse if i had a remus end-can fitted.

so on my new 1150 (yippee - back on the beast at last!!!) i'm going to keep the whole thing standard til i can afford a techlusion.

my two pence worth!

pr0ne

I had the same concerns as you when I replaced the Cat with a Sebring Y piece, keeping the standard can.

Lots of contradictory advice off this website, so phoned Bracken who said no need for a Chip - bike may be different from the original configuration, but the EMS will adjust to the new setup: if the setup is tooo out of spec, the EMS would shut itself off.

"Operating within acceptable parameters" was their summary - effectively didn't want to sell me a Chip.

Now you've got me thinking again!

Cheers.

Gonna be a lot of shagged 24K plus bikes in them there dealers in the future and un suspecting buyers are gonna get screwed cos we all know that when we part ex we return to standard and sell the goodies ( read baddies here) to the highest bidder. Could never trust a second hand GS after reading all the threads on the site re all the amatuer buggering about with chips, cats, y pieces etc. Cannot believe that a garage DIY expert has more expertise than all the tutonic expertise of BMW techie sorts but thats just my penniworth. Will wait to see the teary threads in the future along the lines of " I bought this bike from dealer and now he says it needs exhaust valves after its 24K service, sob sob sob etc what am I gonna do as he says there is no warranty left on it etc etc etc etc.

So what are you saying Andy ?

Don't add Y-pieces, Remus race cans and chips as this will increase the mechanical failure risk ? There'll be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I'm not being sardonic - I think there's a point here to be made and if it needs to be made, underline it. I wouldn't want to buy a GS which had been subjected to a "risky" modification, and not would you. That's why I fear "trade ins" will be affected by mods which increase the dealers' own inherent risk ( ie risk of losing the profit margin by needing to fork out on repairs).

Note for all of you about to sharpen knives that the argument ain't the same as saying that "chipping it" and so on does not add to the riding pleasure/enjoyment.

What about Jap multi's ? Are they adversely affected in the same way ? Does it affect their value ? Hmmm.

"Buggered about" with it from day one. Fourty odd thousand on it and its still OK. But for how long ?????.

I'll keep faffing about with it and misusing and abusing it. When I break it, you lot will be the first to know. (always wanted to be a test pilot) ;)

The problem is that whichever expert you turn to, you get very different advice.

Without naming the experts involved, Expert 1 (who advised that the mod could not be used without the Chip) was very sceptical about those of you who are running the non-chipped mod. I asked why so many were running this mod and why binning the cat is singularly the most popular mod for the GS and his response was "Ignorance".

Expert 2 told me that the above advice was rubbish and that the bike needed the correct adjustments and then there was no problem and certainly no need for a chip.

On that basis, Expert 2 will be servicing the bike in a few weeks!

The problem is that whichever expert you turn to, you get very different advice.

And there you sum it up in a nutshell, beautifully.

I've got a y-piece (fitted by my excellent dealer Wollastons) but everthing else is original. I've also got a two-year warranty and expect to have done 24,000+ before that runs out.

So if it goes bang, I'll expect BMW to pay.

And for what it's worth my last GS ate an exhaust valve each side, first at 8,000 miles and secondly at 13,000. And that was completely standard.

Go figure.

I fitted a Sebring Y and use my standard can...

If your concerend about fueling take your bike to your local Dyno and get them to test it for you.

Mine said they where very impressed with the way the bike had adjusted and said across the rev range it was OK...

FYI... I just fitted the Y with the lamba probe and touched nothing else.

Bottom line: 25 quid at your local dyno will give you all the reasurance you need plus some natty torque and bhp graphs for your file

Good Shout Re Dyno

:confused:
It will do your head in if you listen to all the conflicting thoughts and views on this subject. I have been running with a Remus 'Y' and 'Revolution' now for a month . No pinking, Plugs look right colour, dealer says No problem, SO I should just carry on as normal.
However, out here on these threads is a fountain of knowledge and the truth is every Bike can be 'different'. I have made up my mind to have a techlusion thingy fitted to ensure no lean running and peace of mind for the future.

I think perhaps you have to weigh it all up and do what you are comfortable with. So the 'Y' and the 'can' and then a chip or whatever !!! Thats a lot of dosh for better mid range, and a far better sounding bike. Hhhhhmmmmmm !!

I've got a Remus with a y-piece and no chip. This was fitted by BMW Rydale. At the 12K service last week I voiced my concerns about this ... I was told there was absolutely no evidence that my bike was running lean. The dealership advised against fitting a chip because it might invalidate the warranty.

This subject makes my head hurt.

Have not noticed any threads here regarding burned exhaust valves, in particular with possible cause from Y-pipes and aftermarket cans. Dealers world over are fitting both Remus and Sebring with no warrenty voids. The lamda sensor should adjust the
motronic to accomodate the change. It is worth checking the TPS voltage too as mine was way low ex factory - this is another avenue to adjust lean mix if need be.

Y-piece without chip - Dyno test

I did as Wreford suggested - took my Sebring Y / standard can 1150 for a Dyno test (PDQ in Taplow, Maidenhead www.pdq1.co.uk/ - Thanks Nick!

Results: Max power 82.5bhp at the rear wheel:
Max torque 75.3 ft/lbs

Nick showed me comparisons with other bikes - in mid-range my bike was better than Remus full system, etc, but lost out at the top end . . .
He said the mixture was fine - no problems about "long term valve burn out".

I also asked about K&N filters - he said they're pretty pointless unless you like washing your own - an injected bike will sort out the fuel / air mix on its own.

Cheers,

Neil.

Re: Good Shout Re Dyno

Trotts said:
:confused:
It will do your head in if you listen to all the conflicting thoughts and views on this subject. I have been running with a Remus 'Y' and 'Revolution' now for a month . No pinking, Plugs look right colour

Ditto for me too; in fact, the bike used to pink slightly before - but doesn't since the Y & Remus can!!!

Depends who you talk to...

...was at a dealers the other day and took time to chat with the mechanics. Their opinion, no need for a new chip or any changes at all if fitting 'Y' piece as long as Lambda sensor replaced. Then spoke to salesman, will definitely need a new chip, in fact will need one of 2 alternates depending on single or twin spark, and, surpise surpise, price of chip not included in cost of 'Y' piece. Draw your own conclusions...

Back
Top Bottom