Town and Country

christianburgess

Switched from a Yamaha XT600E to 1100GS and have never regretted it for a moment even when weaving my way round Hyde Park Corner at 6pm. The GS
is SO easy in traffic and it encourages a relaxed and sensible riding style.
And of course when you do get out of town there is nothing to touch a GS........

Hi Christian,

I've just got an XT600E (mature student cant afford a GS yet). Had a look at some 1150's in Rainbow at the weekend and they look a hell of a lot bigger than mine, is it really that easy to go from one to the other? I do a lot of commuting and the XT gets a bit tiring on the motorway but i find it quite easy to nip thru the traffic with.

By the way, where the hell can i get spares from at a reasonable price for mine - any ideas?

Cheers
Cian

:beerjug:

Jose if you can get your pegs down on Park Lane you will win the largest
cojones (sp?) award esp if you can slow down in time for that camera.....

Cian, yes it is a much easier switch than you might think. The GS looks intimidating and it is a monstrous unforgiving lump the first time you gingerly lift it off its stand BUT after a few hours you WILL be converted! The weights all down below and I think its actually easier to ride slowly than the XT....and it is most certainly easier when you're on a motorway. As for spares I'm afraid I don't have a clever source......but the XT is so basic and easy to work on it should be ok to maintain.(As long as you avoid city centre Yamaha Main Dealers) Touratech sell some bits for it if you're off round the world but they are not cheap.....and if you do plan a trip do it on a GS.....!

Best wishes
Christian

Work Bike

My old Yamaha XTZ660 is far more usefull in town than the GS. Nobody seems to notice this tied to railings, the minute you put the GS in the same place there is always some knobhead pratting about with it. It is probably the same width as the GS due to the wide bars but feels a foot narrower. Main benefit is its 80kgs lighter.

Attachments

• bikes 005.jpg
    bikes 005.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 329
now lads touching the pegs down is one thing
but over here its who can wear through the brake pedal
im not quite half way but a mate of mine needs a replacement
its in two pieces the d that is .
i wonder has anybody else encountered such problems?

well the pot holes are definitely a help
but sure what other bike would you want for riding over them

I have to agree with Gazza - I actually don't think that the R11xxGS is a particularly good bike for inner-City work.

For sure, the bike will cope with it, but then so will a GoldWing or a car.

My commute is 12 miles from Enfield to Tottenham Court Road. My 1150GS, her 650GS and Thunderbird 6 all take the same time - around 45 minutes. In terms of general stress and ag, Thunderbird 6 wins hands down followed by the F650GS then my 1150.

Street-cred may be an entirely different matter ....!

:moped:

Greg

ive managed it solo and while touring
two up 6ft 2"and 6ft5" the both of us
and she still felt solid as a rock
scrope up the pillions boots though

Greg Masters said:
I have to agree with Gazza - I actually don't think that the R11xxGS is a particularly good bike for inner-City work.

For sure, the bike will cope with it, but then so will a GoldWing or a car.

My commute is 12 miles from Enfield to Tottenham Court Road. My 1150GS, her 650GS and Thunderbird 6 all take the same time - around 45 minutes. In terms of general stress and ag, Thunderbird 6 wins hands down followed by the F650GS then my 1150.

Street-cred may be an entirely different matter ....!
Greg
There you have it, Senor Masters - where the moped gets ignored by blind cagers, the GS with scarred crash bars and dents along the panniers gets a second look and a (slightly) wider berth...

Sic transit gloria mundi que GS

My secretary is off work due to hitting a van on her GS at the beginning of this week?

I'm starting to well-up here... I put down my '84 XT600Z (kick-start only) after I bought my purple 100GS last year. The GS is better but me an the XT were an item for years. Duff duff duff... Two attempted thefts and written-off once but she kept coming back for more. Every day for years swinging round Hyde-Park and up Park Lane, oh no... sniff... This is too much :fiddle Blubber sobbing waaaaahhhh...!

Keyframe,
dont worry time will be kind to you, we all have to leave passed loves behind, my aul X7 still brings a lump to me throat..

Moo,
I just cant get these pegs down never mind me brake pedel, I think maybe its down to Ohlins or maybe me lack of balls but im hangin it right over, I think I'll put on a few pounds maybe 30st and try again.

eating me dinner
jose all 11.5st

just countersteer hard and tuck those feet up
on the pegs cause they get blown off
and sure im only 13stone thats with a full loda beer

Came to the 1100gs via a ZX9 (amongst many other Jap missiles)then XTZ750. These days my bike is used almost exclusively within London.

The ultimate test for me has always been the rush hour wacky races down the Old Kent Road/Elephant & Castle (Highway Code Free Zone). The 1100 is the bestest tool for such shenanigins and I've never regretted the switch, although the frequent emergency stops (non abs) do remind me its a heavy bugger.

phil

94 1100gs remus, backfire, dodgy gearbox.

Phil,
Your right, as Peter says when they see the beast coming towards them most cars driver gave you a bit off respect, I also have a loud pipe fitted and a set of hella rallye 1000 lamps which seem to part the sea of traffic, a bit like aul Moses.
As for me pegs, Moo I now have the answer, I've welded on two 12" titanium rods to me pegs and can now be seen sparkling me way round London....still trying..
at an angle
jose

Back
Top Bottom