Clicking from rear?

Old guy

When I roll the bike backwards into the driveway, why do I hear a strange clicking coming from the rear wheel? It is a drum braked '92 R100R (much the same running gear as R100GS).

Thanks

When I roll the bike backwards into the driveway, why do I hear a strange clicking coming from the rear wheel? It is a drum braked '92 R100R (much the same running gear as R100GS).

Thanks

In my case it's rusty hips

In your case, check Paralever bearing :spitfire

jut a thought, ive recently replaced my rear shoes cos altrhough there was plenty of meat on them, the lining had started to separate away from the shoe, could have made a similar noise going backwards. There are no doubt many other likely causes but as no one else has come up with anything I thought I would throw this in.:eek:

Do check it's not the little pipe that exits by the rear wheel rubbing on the tyre tread - particularly if you're on TKCs...

Don't ask me how I know... :D

Stick the bike on the centre stand and rotate the rear wheel both ways by hand, does it still click or feel tight anywhere?

For me a clicking as you describe was the first symptom of a failing driveshaft joint.

Clicking ??

As a former owner of a R100R I can tell you exactly what you are hearing.:(
The bearing at the rear of the gearbox on the output shaft is on its way out.
You may be lucky and only need to replace both bearings on the output shaft.
Mine went at 40K -ish km. IE Ist time 43K, 2nd time 83K, etc.
To add to your joy, while riding along at 50 - 60 km/h and a noise similar to the washing machine on its spin cycle penetrates your thoughs - thats the bearing in the diff on the way out.:rob
In an effort to reduce the frequency of the output shaft bearing flogging out, you may consider greasing the splines on the shaft to ensure they slide on each other rather than bind and hammer the bearing.

115K without touching the engine ( other than routine servicing ), but had the gearbox out three times and the diff out once.

I hope you find this useful
gregGS

I can tell you exactly what you are hearing

Or it could be the loose mudguard catching on the tyre because the rider ate all the pies. (Which is exactly what I was hearing :blast) The cure was a pair of tin snips and a Wilbers super-heavy duty shock, the diet will take about two years to have any lasting results.

Tim:rob

Back
Top Bottom