HP2 Highest Mileage/Breakages?

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
Who has done the highest mileage on their HP2 and what have the breakage warranty claims actually been with their particular bikes?

Has anyones HP2 been fine 'out of the box' and been perfect from day one with no leaky forkseals etc,etc.

Any info appreciated FP.:thumb

Who has done the highest mileage on their HP2 and what have the breakage warranty claims actually been with their particular bikes?

Has anyones HP2 been fine 'out of the box' and been perfect from day one with no leaky forkseals etc,etc.

Any info appreciated FP.:thumb
Low - 2,000 miles in the last 6 months on mine, battery was not very good so it was swapped at first service, however I read on a German forum recently of one that had done 65,000 Kms so far which is a good start.

I see a bit of an HP2 bashing trend starting right now, as Vern said in a previous thread: The only people who slag them off,are the people who can't afford one,or the people who can't ride one,or haven't ridden one :D

They are one hell of a bike, it will be interesting to see what the HP2 status is in 10 years time

I've done much the same about 2k had a few bits swapped out battery, fork seals side stand switch but mine was ex-school bike from wales would have had a harder than average life anyway.

HP's well it's labelled as High Performance it's a wild piece of kit and if you get it wrong it's more than capable of hurting/ killing you and or others.

For a car achieve the lable super car it has to meet certain criteria, 2 seats, no space luggage, really expensive, not practical for anything appart from driving about and unreliable.

Well the HP in my opinion is most certainly a super bike, not just because it's got some of the above attributes. It comes standard as a single seater, luggage well what do you really need to take? appart from cash, yes it's expensive but them whats not in this world. I would however say it's not unreliable, but you need to exercise it on a regular basis. Where as my 1150 I've left for 3 months due to broken wrist and it just fired up with no problems. The HP you need to carry out some looky looky checks, lsame as a pilot would do his preflight inspections.

On the issue of riding the bike because it has no built in tricks to save your bacon and because it's very fast but smooth in it power delivery, it's twitchy one end which does feel like it's diving as soon as the brakes get breathed on... and you can lock the back end up at any speed, the rear wheel will and does spin if you choose to give it stick.

The front wheel if the government choose to cover the roads in velcro and tyre manufacturers choose to make tyres out of a similar material it would help!

I've riden my HP a couple times to my limit and it's made me fear for my license and life, it will be (already is) a cult bike there's no doubt about it.

I would say don't knock it till you've tried it, it's infectious and once you've had one you'll want another one. Ride it with care it can bite when your not looking.

HP2 Don't knock it.............!

I'm waiting on mine, the deal is done etc, etc!

I'm going down the route of TT Zegas small screen and large tank as a few guys on the ADVrider site have done so it'll be interesting and exciting to see how things turn out..............!:thumb

not knocking it because i loved it but...

I see a bit of an HP2 bashing trend starting right now, as Vern said in a previous thread: The only people who slag them off,are the people who can't afford one,or the people who can't ride one,or haven't ridden one :D

That's just a 'Vernism' to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I could afford one, and reckon I can ride one, I have ridden one and ridden amongst several. All off road btw;)

I loved it , it's a great ride:clap but it's too unreliable, with the wrong battery fitted from new, poor design on the forks for it's weight, sidestand switches going wrong and an electrical system that doesn't allow easy repair etc etc. I don't have a local dealer close by and what happens once out of warranty.

Yes there may be a few with reasonable mileages but how much of that was doing what they were designed for.

I really wanted one and think in many ways it's my kind of bike but it has too many issues for that money, and it's charm is not strong enough to overcome them....besides I have no ego and nothing to prove:thumb

I'm waiting on mine, the deal is done etc, etc!

I'm going down the route of TT Zegas small screen and large tank as a few guys on the ADVrider site have done so it'll be interesting and exciting to see how things turn out..............!:thumb

talking about luggage on the HP2 have you seen the TT soft bag that goes on the seat?? I reckon a lot more fun than metal panniers.. but I never liked solid panniers

the set up on ADVrider is looks cool Jesse panniers (quick release = very trick) + HPN tank but its just too conventional, too much like a standard GS1200 or GSA

plus on the practical side that set up is rather heavy (heavy is bad in my book) and it gives so much capacity to carry stuff and the more space you have the more will carry... hence even heavier..

.. just my thoughts

I done 8500 miles on mine,and was using it as an everyday bike when the donkey was ill,and it never missed a beat.The forks are well documented,but appart fom that,I can't think of any problems at all with them.

I'll be having another,no mistake:bounce1

I loved it , it's a great ride:clap but it's too unreliable, with the wrong battery fitted from new, poor design on the forks for it's weight, sidestand switches going wrong and an electrical system that doesn't allow easy repair etc etc. I don't have a local dealer close by and what happens once out of warranty.

Yes there may be a few with reasonable mileages but how much of that was doing what they were designed for.

I really wanted one and think in many ways it's my kind of bike but it has too many issues for that money, and it's charm is not strong enough to overcome them....besides I have no ego and nothing to prove:thumb

For me it is a terrific big bore Motard - what I had really hoped for from my FS560 but never really got, I am not convinced about the unreliability part though - a battery (see also KTM/Husaberg) is hardly an issue, electrics (See also KTM) is going to be common on most modern machines and to be quite honest when modern electrics do go you are not going to fix them with a fag paper and a piece of tape like in the old days. Forks - yep totally agree except mine are still OK, however it is a late bike however that should not make any difference.

As far as using them for what they were designed for, I am not sure what they really were designed for, Dakar is out due to cc, Baja maybe? Big enduro stuff? I doubt it, IMHO the bike is a design exercise and not much more.

I was lucky the voices in my head telling me to buy it was my wife on a mobile - it was love at first sight for her when they first came out so when the opportunity rose we did it, not an ego thing, just a logical alternative to her new kitchen and bathroom, and hell we had a bathroom and kitchen but not the thing in blue and primer :D

That's just a 'Vernism' to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I could afford one, and reckon I can ride one, I have ridden one and ridden amongst several. All off road btw;)

Why are you still here then. :thedummy

Low - 2,000 miles in the last 6 months on mine, battery was not very good so it was swapped at first service, however I read on a German forum recently of one that had done 65,000 Kms so far which is a good start.

They are one hell of a bike, it will be interesting to see what the HP2 status is in 10 years time

I agree why don't they just go away and play in there own sand box and leave those that enjoy the HP like my self :nenau here

why not try the new super moto vines got one till end of the week... it's naughty

not an ego thing, just a logical alternative to her new kitchen and bathroom, and hell we had a bathroom and kitchen but not the thing in blue and primer :D

My question was, if I had not been so involved with GSs over a mumber of years would I have considered a HP2?

The answear was a definate no. The marketing forces didn't quite reach me although gave it their best shot, but if the choice had been between a new kitchen or an HP2 they would have won hands down:D:thumb

Why are you still here then. :thedummy

OK I'll go and let you have a one sided and biased view, I contributed only because I loved the bike and came close to having one but decided for my own reasons not to buy one:thumb
:rolleyes:

why not try the new super moto vines got one till end of the week... it's naughty
How does it compare to the bog standard HP2?

BTW - To the OP sorry about the thread hijack, I am sure someone will answer your question soon :blast

extra disc on front helps, does not dive as much as an over paid footballer. Other than that it's got a regular suspension setup so your feet almost touch the floor.

It's nice been setup for road so not so much a compromise as HP trying to be both, if you can get a test ride try it. It's got snigger factor for sure!

talking about luggage on the HP2 have you seen the TT soft bag that goes on the seat?? I reckon a lot more fun than metal panniers.. but I never liked solid panniers

the set up on ADVrider is looks cool Jesse panniers (quick release = very trick) + HPN tank but its just too conventional, too much like a standard GS1200 or GSA

plus on the practical side that set up is rather heavy (heavy is bad in my book) and it gives so much capacity to carry stuff and the more space you have the more will carry... hence even heavier..

.. just my thoughts

having been only slightly off topic on the first note I will try another one..

I reckon there are some good reason why the HP is not a bike to own, especially if you can only have One bike

however most of us who have an HP would agree that we didn't buy it with our heads but with our hearts in which case presenting a sensible / factual / reasonable arguement is slightly meaningless..

I want to agree with Timolgra that for the money is not the best bike .. but some people are willing to put their money where they heart is some prefer to see some perceived "value for money" before they invest..,

good on them all..

- don't sent Timolgra away let him play with us.. he would probably change his mind soon and buy a HP

HP2?

Thread hijack? Not at all, it's great that the HP2 can cause such mixed views/interest among both owners and non owners alike!

The reason for owning one....? That's a hard one to justify but no harder than most high performance sportsbikes on the road for practicality and cost etc.

For me the reasons are

it's a BMW
it's a boxer
it's an offroader
it does it for me where the rest of the 'current' BMW fleet doesn't!

it's like no other BMW i've ever seen except in earlier PD races etc and just looking at it is reason enough for me to make the decision to buy one!

Reminds me of seeing the first GS in the early eighties in Germany it was like nothing else and in some ways the HP2 harks back to those earlier bikes without the bulk and no small offroad ability!:thumb

Thread hijack? Not at all, it's great that the HP2 can cause such mixed views/interest among both owners and non owners alike!

The reason for owning one....? That's a hard one to justify but no harder than most high performance sportsbikes on the road for practicality and cost etc.

For me the reasons are

it's a BMW
it's a boxer
it's an offroader
it does it for me where the rest of the 'current' BMW fleet doesn't!

it's like no other BMW i've ever seen except in earlier PD races etc and just looking at it is reason enough for me to make the decision to buy one!

Reminds me of seeing the first GS in the early eighties in Germany it was like nothing else and in some ways the HP2 harks back to those earlier bikes without the bulk and no small offroad ability!:thumb

Like this............

airhead.jpg

having been only slightly off topic on the first note I will try another one..

I reckon there are some good reason why the HP is not a bike to own, especially if you can only have One bike

however most of us who have an HP would agree that we didn't buy it with our heads but with our hearts in which case presenting a sensible / factual / reasonable arguement is slightly meaningless..

I want to agree with Timolgra that for the money is not the best bike .. but some people are willing to put their money where they heart is some prefer to see some perceived "value for money" before they invest..,

good on them all..

- don't sent Timolgra away let him play with us.. he would probably change his mind soon and buy a HP

I like that post:)

HP2s are bought with the heart.

I always buy my bikes with my heart, why else would I have a Husaberg:nenau:eek::D

And you can't believe how relieved I was to see Rick's HP2 sell so quickly, I was seriously tempted,:eek: it's a bike I know well and have ridden a few times and possibly one of the best ones out there.

So please do send me away before temptation comes my way again, closely followed by separation from my partner, angry letters from my bank manager and a suitable BUPA plan:D

Back
Top Bottom