Cat removal & OE Exhaust

zero 2

Due to going to remote places in Africa and not always having unleaded fuel available I was thinking of removing my HP's cat but keeping the original exhaust. The converter might even not be working anymore after ingesting a few tanks of "regular" fuel.

Can this be done without compromising on performance or fuel efficiency and how... is the big question?

You have two choices, replace the headers with an after market solution that does not have a CAT or perform surgery on your headers and rip the CAT out - a reasonable fabricator should be able to do this in an hour or so. Removing the CAT will allow the exhaust gases to flow a bit quicker so you could see a marginal improvement in performance and this may well have a slight impact on fuel consumption, however as the range is so limited on the standard tank I would expect you to be taking extra fuel so the loss of maybe 2 or 3 miles per tank should not be noticed.

Alternatively if you have run leaded through it just forget about it and leave it as it is.

EDIT - one of the riders on the German forum disemboweled his with a plasma cutter and then patched it from above so it could not be seen, over here we would probably use an angle grinder... :) I don't remember him having any problems with the modification, now if I could just find the article again....

Thanks, but now you have slightly confused me.:confused: Why do you say that if I ran leaded fuel trough the cat I should leave it? Doesn't it clog up & stop working with leaded fuel?

Can you also not rip the cat's pieces out trough the connecting pipe to the end can without cutting it. As said, I'm in Africa and things might just go wrong with the cutting part.:eek:

Did the German guy use the OE end can?

the dealer I used told me much the same that I could run low grade or leaded in it and it'll be fine for a while anyway... can't remember the reason but I'm sure they would know as they built the LWR/LWD bikes.

Thanks, but now you have slightly confused me.:confused: Why do you say that if I ran leaded fuel trough the cat I should leave it? Doesn't it clog up & stop working with leaded fuel?

Can you also not rip the cat's pieces out trough the connecting pipe to the end can without cutting it. As said, I'm in Africa and things might just go wrong with the cutting part.:eek:

Did the German guy use the OE end can?

I removed my original header to aftermarket onenes purley for optik but great sound and plus on performance with no cat can sell you my orinal if you need a seckond set of headers to work on

I seem to remember the use of leaded fuel with a CAT just destroys the active component, as it is basically a mesh it may clog it slightly as well. Now that you have put leaded fuel through it the damage is probably done so why not just leave everything as it is and keep running it?

If it was me, unless I was planning on a 25,000 km trip I would not be concerned. A quick google does confirm leaded fuel damages CAT's but I see very few references to them becoming blocked.

Ok thanks, I'll then just leave the dead cat in there and enjoy the riding:bounce1

Thanks for the great info!

I had the cat taken out my stock hp2 system today, i have now fitted it to my gsa. No problems, took it a muffler shop and it took about 1 hour. I can't believe the bike can breath with that sucker in there:eek:

How does the bike compare to before in therms of sound and performance?:thumb

It sounds slightly louder than the full stock system but no where near as loud as my Staintune system on the HP2 and certainly seems to rev a bit easier, the cat is very dense, even if you have killed the chemical reaction side of things by using fuel the cat is physically still there and definately restricts the gas flow. It took my guy 1 hour to cut it open, remove it and weld it back up......all up 100 Australian dollars........worth plucking it out:D

Hi Scotsmun, Have you had any issues since removing the cat? Do you get popping on deceleration ? I assume that you dont use a fuel controller right.
Thanks
vcrash

I have the stock Hp2 system minus cat back on the Hp2 for the last month and the bike runs well, it was on the GSA for 10,000 k's and the bike ran without any problems. i don't run a fuel controller and get a slight pop now and again but very seldom.
I ran the the staintune system on the Hp2 for the last 18 months and when i bolted the stock system back on i felt the bottom end was a fraction better, the staintune sounds better but i have never really been happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom