What a bloody sh*t morning

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
:(

Took the Mono in for an MOT prior to selling her only to fail the test...turns out my lovely old girls about bolloxed :(

Front wheel bearings - too much play.
Advisory note that the wheel rim is slightly buckled.
Split in the rear silencer where the mounting brackets coming away.
Rear shock damping is on its way out
Front disk is down to it's wear limit.
Play in head stock bearing.
Weeping oil from the bevel box oil hole - the threads gone.

Obviously I can't sell her in that condition so it looks like I'll be keeping the bike for a few more years and a full rebuild is on the cards this winter. A £1000 should sort it out :thedummy

For sale >>
Full set of Burglars tools:augie

Also wheel buckler, wheel bearing grit and brake disc grinder:augie

Only used once.:augie

To make old fart see sense:rob:D

:hide

Nice one Rob, you know it makes sense:thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

The silencers a problem. the metal has fractured around the weld - it's only held on on one side of the plate :( Still sounds good though. I hadn't spotted it :nenau

The chap was tapping it and it sounds as though the baffle has come adrift inside...Only £300 for a new one :eek:

A new rear shocks going to be £300 + as well...£100 for a disk...think I need to sit down for a bit...

Attachments

• zorst.jpg
    zorst.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 501
The silencers a problem. the metal has fractured around the weld - it's only held on on one side of the plate :( Still sounds good though. I hadn't spotted it :nenau

The chap was tapping it and it sounds as though the baffle has come adrift inside...Only £300 for a new one :eek:

A new rear shocks going to be £300 + as well...think I need to sit down for a bit...

Rob.. Was up at Sherlocks the other day and noticed that they had an exhaust lying about. looked in good nick, no idea how much but could be worth a call.

Ps, Ive still got the angle grinder, sledge hammer and wallpaper brush if you want to borrow them:rolleyes:

Rob
Why dont you just have the silencer repaired?
Had mine sliced open, baffles rewelded and the whole thing put back together. Damn sight less than £300.:thumb2

Some bikes sail through their MOT's :augie

Well the good news is that it will only cost you a grand to sort - imagine if someone with ham fists owned that bike it really would be a skip job.

I've seen what comes out of your workshop at the end of a Winters project hibernation and I look forward to seeing this get the treatment.

Would still only be worth a monkey to a Southerner though :D

Rob
Had mine sliced open, baffles rewelded and the whole thing put back together. Damn sight less than £300.:thumb2

The fracture point on the silencers run round the front has started to spread down the back of the silencer. It's going to need a pretty hefty bit of plating. The yellow line shows the fracture. You can't hear the baffle rattling when the bike runs but if it's breaking up I'd soomer take the oppourtunity to get something that looks better.

Attachments

• zorst.jpg
    zorst.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 471
:(

Took the Mono in for an MOT prior to selling her only to fail the test...turns out my lovely old girls about bolloxed :(

Front wheel bearings - too much play.
Advisory note that the wheel rim is slightly buckled.
Split in the rear silencer where the mounting brackets coming away.
Rear shock damping is on its way out
Front disk is down to it's wear limit.
Play in head stock bearing.
Weeping oil from the bevel box oil hole - the threads gone.

Obviously I can't sell her in that condition so it looks like I'll be keeping the bike for a few more years and a full rebuild is on the cards this winter. A £1000 should sort it out :thedummy

:eek: Ouch! That was an expensive MOT, but doesn't sound like a complete rebuild job tho' :nenau Although expensive, isn't all that stuff easy to remove and sort without a complete stripdown, or have I missed something and you are itching to use this as an excuse for a complete rebuild any way? :green gri

Good luck with the rebuild, look forward to pics to show me how it should be done :eek:

:eek: Ouch! That was an expensive MOT, but doesn't sound like a complete rebuild job tho' :nenau Although expensive, isn't all that stuff easy to remove and sort without a complete stripdown, or have I missed something and you are itching to use this as an excuse for a complete rebuild any way? :green gri

Good luck with the rebuild, look forward to pics to show me how it should be done :eek:

Pretty easy to do just needs lots of cash throwing at it. The sad thing is you can't tell theres anything amiss when you ride it :(

I'm going to need those bearing pullers back though if you've finished with them :beerjug:

What year is the bike.

The front wheel bearings on the early models can be adjusted with spacers. There's 27 different sized spacers available.

What year is the bike.

The front wheel bearings on the early models can be adjusted with spacers. There's 27 different sized spacers available.

It's an 87 Neil and it has the taper bearings that need spacing correctly. I know all about the spacers and I have access to the pukka tool for setting them - For what it costs I may as well throw a couple of new bearings in while I'm at it. I need to see if the rims scrap before I sort the bearings though.

Rob

My GS is soooo noisy from the "silencer" at the mo.Its been suggested i dismantle, check for loose baffles (likely) and get rewelded.
Who did yours "Abrasion" ???

My GS is soooo noisy from the "silencer" at the mo.Its been suggested i dismantle, check for loose baffles (likely) and get rewelded.
Who did yours "Abrasion" ???

Just a local welding shop. You only need to find someone who works in stainless, ie boat fittings etc .Not to hard to find, will usually be someone happy to help for "a drink":thumb2

Ok, thanks for that.Given i dont know where the baffles are exactly, where do you suggest I cut ??????????????/

Back
Top Bottom