Norwegian Triangle - Route Advice Please

HOWYABOSS

Hi Folks,

Me and a buddy will arrive in Stavanger next Tuesday, 5th Sept at 3pm. We have three and a half full days before we board the ferry home again at Stavanger on the 9th Sept at 2am.

Our broad plan is to make a triangle of sorts from Stavanger to Bergen, Bergen to Oslo, and finally Oslo back to Stavanger. What we're looking for is advice as to which roads to take. We've no problem with big mile days, except for day one when we only have about five hours of ride time before we stop in Bergen for a meal and a few beers.

We're both up in a heap trying to get organised for the trip and don't have the time to spend hours planning the route. We're hoping we can benefit from the collective's experience. Someone who'll say, "take this road, this road, this road and this road", is what we want.

Any help will be much appreciated. And Liv, if you're out there, we'd love to hear your expert opinion.

Many thanks.

P.S. - It doesn't have to be a triangle. We're quite happy to do circles, squares and even rectangles! :):aidan

It won't matter. Take any road you fancy. They are all fantastic.
Watch your speed though!
Take the time to visit Pulpit rock. Go V early am before the crowds.
The Trolls road is a must.
Watch out for the brown tourist route signs, these often take you over the mountains avoiding the tunnels.
Enjoy:thumb2

Attachments

• 0021_2~1.jpg
    0021_2~1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 185
By any normal standards the triangle you suggest would be a great. But we're talking Norway and normal standards ain't applicable - so head north to the fjords and as muzvmc said you won't go wrong. In a way you're doomed to be disappointed since 3.5 days is nowhere near enough. For sure you'll be wanting to return.

Speeding charges are [at least when I got caught - £20/km over the limit]. Take a huge flash card for your camera

As for tunnels, muzvmc has a point, but I wouldn't run scared of them as in a way they are an experience themselves. The longest road tunnel in the world is near Flam and the old road over the top is open. Both are worth doing. Take your sunglasses off before you enter tunnels or you'll die. A lot have very poor lighting at best. The biggy near Flam's illuminated.

Pics from my 2003 trip to the fjords are HERE they may help you decide.

Have a good one!

Fantastic pictures, Boxer.

Actually, this will be my second time to Norway. Three years ago I went on a whim, no plan, no map, I didn't even know where I was most of the time, and it was brilliant. I was thinking, this time, armed with a plan of sorts, it would be even better. I don't want to miss any must see/do things.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe the best plan is to have no plan.

Back
Top Bottom