Portugal trail advice

jasext

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
4 of us looking to go to Portugal end of May for 10 days. Planning on doing the ACT or similar for first 2-3 days north to south then loop back around heading east and back up .
Been on wikiloc for ideas but most just do loops in certain areas.
Anyone done something similar or have any gpx files something along these lines please .
We did attempt this a few years ago but due to an accident with a rider we had to miss all the trails and stick to road riding..
We have 2 guys quite new to offroad riding so nothing to hard
Bikes are KTM 790/890 and a BMW 800gs
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240201_191355.jpg
    IMG_20240201_191355.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 34
I’ll watch this thread with interest, I’m after doing some TET myself.

What is ACT and what is TET? I do a fair bit of off road riding here in Portugal...I have no idea what these terms are though.

it's trendy terms for going from one place to another...

TET is the Trans Euro Trail and ACT :

Oh OK, still none the wiser.

Sorry to be of no help then....I just head off on trails and try not to fall off and injure myself, lot`s of peaks to be had and most with trig points and 360 degree views, proper lovely it is, not much phone signal to be had though if you do fall off.
Never met another biker along any of the tracks, ever, they seem to just do it at the weekends, so I go in the week to avoid others.
No idea where I am going, no idea where I have been either, just enjoy it. (y)
Oh yeah, the French love the 4x4 buggies at the weekends and they do not hang about...Proper flat out, so you wouldn`t really want to encounter those little froggy wankers...They do slow down for a 4x4 tractor though :ROFLMAO:

Tet will be too difficult for newbies . The act goes alright down south.
I'm looking at doing a loop similar to the map I posted .
Thanks

The ACT route is generally 'big bike' friendly and reasonable doable by novices.
The TET is next level and generally more suitable for smaller bikes and riders with some experience.

A couple of bits of advice if doing the ACT route, start at the south and head north. The southern end is easier and give you time on easier trails before hitting some harder bits.
If your group isn't that experienced, I would recommend only aiming to do about 100 miles per day. If you watch the video by ACT it shows them doing 200 miles a day, but realistically that gives you no time for stopping to look at the scenery and take photo's, have a pee, get lost a few times as the navigation is a bit tricky. (I run two sat nav's with two mapping systems and its still a challenge)

One of the Roman bridges is a :poop: and I really recommend you don't do that bit. It can be seen from a distance of a castle/church and that generally is the best way. The other Roman bridge is do-able.

I'm running a trip to the ACT Portugal at the end of Sept if anyone wants to join me, I have a couple of spaces left Bimble on the bike tours

short video of ACT

20220415_144659.jpg

Snow White, when you say ACT is more big bike friendly, does that mean the road sections would be too long/too quick for a lightweight bike ? I couldn’t get your link to open for me so I apologise if my questions are already answered there. Is it your intention to ride down to Portugal ? For my part, I’m looking to trailer my CRF250L to somewhere like northern Spain, Portugal or the Pyrenees and do some routes, before I’m too old and incapable. I’m a returning trail rider after a long lay off and to be honest was only an enthusiastic novice level rider then so I’m not sure where my ability level lies now.

Sorry the links don't work for you?? they are for me.

Your little 250 will be absolutely fine for ACT and although your skills are 'historic' honestly, you won't be too taxed. I suspect you could even do the difficult 2nd Roman Bridge section. The road sections are short, with no duel carriageway etc, so no issues there.
If your going to take the bike down there on a trailer, then that's the one of the hard bits done. Cos otherwise you have to ride down from Calais or Santander.
The problem, if there is one, is that once you have ridden the route and got to your finish point, is riding back to the start point where your trailer is parked. IMG-20221026-WA0044.jpg

Reactions: KMD
A quick look on the internet would seem to back up José’s local experience and understanding.

The Portuguese seem to have fairly liberal ‘rules’ when it comes to off-road riding. In short, it seems to be allowed unless there are signs / gates / local restrictions in place. That though is only my interpretation of it. Me? I’d go and do it, politely and without trying to be too much of a pain in the arse to anyone. Laughing in the bar about “Well, that bod seemed pretty annoyed but fuck them, mate” might well be all very funny but YOU do not live there and maybe won’t be going back any time soon. Others do.

Sorry the links don't work for you?? they are for me.

Your little 250 will be absolutely fine for ACT and although your skills are 'historic' honestly, you won't be too taxed. I suspect you could even do the difficult 2nd Roman Bridge section. The road sections are short, with no duel carriageway etc, so no issues there.
If your going to take the bike down there on a trailer, then that's the one of the hard bits done. Cos otherwise you have to ride down from Calais or Santander.
The problem, if there is one, is that once you have ridden the route and got to your finish point, is riding back to the start point where your trailer is parked. View attachment 303555

Thanks for the info, i have sent you a pm

If you're looking at wikiloc, look for 4x4 routes. They often go further and use easier trails. Portugal like anywhere else can change massively when wet, it can half your achievable distances in a day so make sure you have a couple of plans.

completed the Portugal act trail in october bmw310 gs. north to south ferry to santander and back . the roman bridge is not that bad unless you are on a big bike we had to help someone ride his bike out . the trail is fairly open and flowing, fuel is easy to find as is food .

You could plan, should you be interested, visiting the Templar churches/castles/commanderies and so on. Fascinating historical stuff.Portugal Templars.jpg

Evora is worth a look, it’s a nice town with a very different from the usual church/ chapel type thing.

Just ask for the bone chapel.

They are all human bones, the last photo showing the sarcophagus of the founder of the chapel, who was killed by Napoleons troops in 1808.

0A24EA34-84F1-418D-898C-32D893C9ABB1.jpeg727BFA4A-1543-4461-950D-1BFCA406AC7C.jpeg5A835311-3ED1-4E28-9B71-731ADC964948.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom