Natzweiler Struthof KZ

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date

Deleted account rno

Greg Masters' thread about taking his daughter to Auschwitz spurred me on to post this thread. It may be of some interest to some of you planning a WW11 Places Of Interest type tour in France or Germany.

During my recent Euro trip, I visited the Concentration Camp at Natzweiler Struthof in Alsace. This is near the French/German border in the Strasbourg and Baden Baden areas. It is well worth a visit IMO.

Wikpedia give a short history of the camp here

The camp is built high up in the Vosges mountains and it's difficult to imagine the horrors of camp life when you stand in the Roll Call square and gaze out over the beautiful landsape. The surrounding remnants of camp life and the photos and illustrations in the museum soon remind you of the history of the place.

This is the Main Gate and Guard House

199420024-L.jpg

199470612-L.jpg

A view of the camp from the Main Gate looking down over the Vosges mountains

199420302-L.jpg

199421820-L.jpg

The Main Gate and Monument To The Departed

199420803-L.jpg

The once-electrified and (presumably) original barbed wire fence

199421164-L.jpg

One of the remaining Barracks has been converted into a museum

199422147-L.jpg

Vera Leigh

199423184-L.jpg

and Diana Rowden

199423038-L.jpg

2 British female SOE Operatives who were imprisoned and executed at Natzweiler Struthof...

Roll Call Square and execution area

199464668-L.jpg

199462299-L.jpg

One of the carts from the stone quarry where the prisoners worked 12 and 14 hour days

199463338-L.jpg

The Solitary cells barracks also housing the Cremetorium oven

199465179-L.jpg

199467603-L.jpg

Recently laid wreaths left beside the oven included one from Hereford

199469291-L.jpg

The cell area is cold and very foreboding, even after all these years

199466949-L.jpg

A medical table used for medical experiments and for Post Mortem examinations on murdered prisoners

199468614-L.jpg

Steep steps where prisoners had a to carry heavy stones as part of punishment regimes

199470026-L.jpg

100 metres from the main camp entrance is the Kommandant's villa. Josef Kramer (The infamous Beast Of Belsen) was once the Kommandant at Natzweiler Struthof.

199472124-L.jpg

The concrete area on the left of the photo is the now-filled-in swimming pool. It's hard to comprehend the difference in the two standards of living that must have occurred within this short distance 60 odd years ago.

A simple but somehow very fitting memorial is situated just outside the Main Gate. It seemed the most natural thing to do when I stopped there for a couple of minutes on leaving the camp...

199419500-L.jpg

This camp is nowhere near as famous/infamous as Auschwitz, Bergen Belsen or Treblinka but it is a truly humbling experience and one that I found incredibly interesting.

This camp is nowhere near as famous/infamous as Auschwitz, Bergen Belsen or Treblinka but it is a truly humbling experience and one that I found incredibly interesting.

I couldn't agree more, but thankfully, the ride away on the excellent Elsass roads helps the soul recover somewhat.

Ronno, I have some very similar photos to yours, albeit on black and white analogue print film.

Back
Top Bottom