A68 0r A696

Hawk

Hi,
I will be heading up to Scotland next year. I usually head up the A66 to the M74 but fancy a change. On the way up I will probably stop in Jedburgh as I won't be leaving work until late on a Friday. I will be travelling up the A1 but can't decide whether to turn off at the A68 or carry on until Newcastle and hit the A696. Can any of you esteemed Tossers offer any advice either way? How long would it take to reach Jedburgh via either route?
Have any of you stayed here http://www.airenlea.co.uk/ ? :beerjug:

as for time, depends how quick you ride, I've started using the A696 a lot more when I'm heading home from down South and it's a nice road, I do love the A68 as well (more scenic I think), oh damn can't choose......:blast....do them both....that's my suggestion......:thumb

I reckon the A68 is the better of the two, but would make a detour to take the A7 if time permitted.

If that road is clear of traffic there are some cracking bendy bits that are smoother than the 68/696.

Al :D

I reckon the A68 is the better of the two, but would make a detour to take the A7 if time permitted.

If that road is clear of traffic there are some cracking bendy bits that are smoother than the 68/696.

I'll have a look at that. Not set on going via Jedburgh, just need somewhere in that area as the next day we'll be heading to Ullapool and I wanted to get a few miles out of the way on the Friday night rather than do it in a day.
Anyone done Ullapool in a day? :nenau

Ullapool to London....

IN A DAY!!!!!!!:tears

That was 2 up on a bandit 1200 with kit, from first to last light and it was horrific.

Infact, it was the last time my wife was on the bike:augie

Break your journey up and enjoy it:thumb

JedForrest Hotel is nice but expensive.

Friday after work? Take it easy?

Why not stop around Otterburn. Then do the forestry road through Keilder in the morning. This'll take you towards Hawick via Hermitage Castle on B roads if you are not in a hurry. Then north west via Tushielaw to St Mary's Loch. Over the hill to Tweedsmuir. Then A701 north to Embra or, if you prefer, head over to the Clyde valley if you want to head for the west coast.

Ullapool in day? Why not stick to the borders and or Dumfries and Galloway. Relax a bit on roads that are perfect for the GS.

Wakefield to Ullapool in a day is a bit of a stretch, to be honest.

As mentioned - a stopover in the borders somewhere would be a good split.

Remember - don't take the A9 north from the central belt.

Go up via Tyndrum, Ft William and either up the lochs to Inverness, or out towards Sheil Bridge................. much nicer roads:thumb2

A68 on Thursday. Lovely road! :)

PB290077.jpg

I crashed my GS500 on the A68 in horrific winds, I was slammed into the metal girders around a corner and tore the engine to pieces. Not a good road in high winds. :nono

I crashed my GS500 on the A68 in horrific winds, I was slammed into the metal girders around a corner and tore the engine to pieces. Not a good road in high winds. :nono

I agree, fully loaded panniers on my CBR1100XX and me on top doing 40 mph up the A68, I was driving in the left hand gutter to beat the winds which were getting wild and got pushed sideways into the right hand gutter in about 2 seconds dead (I was moving sideways faster than going forwards).....looking down a steep gully...thought I was gonna die.....:eek:....it can be a scary road....:eek:

Why not stop around Otterburn. Then do the forestry road through Keilder in the morning. This'll take you towards Hawick via Hermitage Castle on B roads if you are not in a hurry. Then north west via Tushielaw to St Mary's Loch. Over the hill to Tweedsmuir. Then A701 north to Embra or, if you prefer, head over to the Clyde valley if you want to head for the west coast.

Ullapool in day? Why not stick to the borders and or Dumfries and Galloway. Relax a bit on roads that are perfect for the GS.

Great suggestion if you are not in a hurry:thumb2

Of the two, and despite Snoopy's mishap, A68 is more scenic.

After the border watch out for all the speed cameras.:nono:nono

You're right about doing the Dumfries/Galloway/Borders thing but I think we fancy the West Highlands. Last there in 2004 and we really liked Ullapool as a base. Nothing set in stone yet.
Thinking Ullapool from Jedburgh would be easily achievable in a relaxed manner. Is the A9 really that badly speed trapped? :mcgun

You're right about doing the Dumfries/Galloway/Borders thing but I think we fancy the West Highlands. Last there in 2004 and we really liked Ullapool as a base. Nothing set in stone yet.
Thinking Ullapool from Jedburgh would be easily achievable in a relaxed manner. Is the A9 really that badly speed trapped? :mcgun

A9 isn't too bad for cameras, but it is purely a road for getting from A to B.

Far better to go up the west coast or FtWilliam-LochNess-Inverness at least. :thumb2

i've done ullapool in one morning to catch the ferry while working out there. Think it was something like 5 hours at 4am (highly illegal speeds in a astravan:eek:)

Best route up is A68 to cartebar then turn off via Hawick then up the A7, that way it avoids all the speed cameras, plus the A7 is a better road.

As for the A9 i would keep close to the speed limits, i used to travel up there all the time with work, plus i have family who live in Grantoen-on-spey. I think i like to know where they keep the mobile cameras, but now and again they decide to change their position, There is only 3 gatsos on the way to inverness from the A9.
Any questions just ask away.

Hawk. Better suggestion, get north of Newcastle and then take the A697, the Coldstream road. Much more fun. Me and Dark-of-my-Light did an Ullapool run back in 2005, have a look at my website for some suggestions as to routes, accommodation stop-offs etc.
If you insist on doing the M74 run it's a good idea to come off at Locherbie and get the B7076 which runs more or less parallel to the motorway. Moffat is a good stopover to split your riding, we called there this year at Easter.
Either way enjoy...

Me and Dark-of-my-Light did an Ullapool run back in 2005, have a look at my website for some suggestions as to routes, accommodation stop-offs etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I read your trip report HonaGS - very funny. We stayed for a week at Broombank in Ullapool. The only thing we didn't like was that Shirley insisted on us having breakfast at 8:00. We had to negotiate with her to get it at 8:15.
A great base for exploring the highlands though, even if I was on my Gixxer1000!! Heading north out of Ullapool it's the only time I've had a copper in a car wave at me. I think he knew how good the roads were :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom