XChallenge-first impressions.

Losttheplot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finally picked up my Xchallenge on Saturday!

28012008272.jpg

it looks a well made bike, and goes well, pulling well from nothing to the upper reaches (i didn't push it to hard, still running it in), but after 45 miles my backside was starting to protest at the lack of comfort provided by the seat, (thank feck i'll be stood up most of the time then).

Also the headlight is vastly superior to the standard 1150 :eek:, which is good as i plan to have a few night time assault on the local trails.

One thing i'm not impressed with, is the rear chain guide:
28012008273.jpg

It looks a bit flimsy and pathetic (easily deformed with a gentle tug), and it's being replaced asap.

The bash plate also looks as though it requires some developement.

28012008275.jpg

On the left side i think it could be bought out to protect the generator cover a bit more, and on the right the same again to protect the water pump.

28012008276.jpg

And looking at it now, if the bash plate were bought up the front of the frame a bit more, it would save the starter motor from constantly getting showered in cr@p. (i think this issure might have been raised on here before?)

The only air filters available at present are paper ones (not so good on a bike marketed for off road use?).

Apart from that (and no rim locks or brush guards fitted as standard), i'm still really pleased with it. Now i just have to wait for the postman to turn up with all the ordered parts!

I've fitted the BMW Handguards and frame parts.

Plus the TT large Sumpguard and rear Rack

MT21's and rimlocks, plus HD tubes

TT rear sprocket guard and chainguard and a 14T front sprocket

Agree with all your comments and she goes like a good'un

Sorry Nathan, but someone's got to do it...........

Look at the state of that garage! :eek

(And the chain guide on my 640 is very just as poor.)
Mark

TT Large sump guard lined with sound deadning material
R&G tail tidy using oem indicators which rub on 9x7 number plate :(
Cycra hand guards good wind protection but untested ie havn't fallen off yet :D
Low seat which i find much more comfortable than stock..
only probs i've found is water in the rear indicators and the front
mudguard which does'nt stop the mud from hitting the radiator ...

bikepics1.jpg

Finally picked up my Xchallenge on Saturday!

Well done mate :thumb2 Hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine ;)

Have a look at Daithi's thread for details of his bashplate mod :aidan

Well done mate :thumb2 Hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine ;)

Have a look at Daithi's thread for details of his bashplate mod :aidan

I've done about 100 miles on the bike so far, and it's been really entertaning!

i'm still waiting on rim locks and brushguards to turn up, so haven't got it muddy just yet!

Hows the shoulder?

BMW really out done themselves by fitting a paper filter. :D

BMW really out done themselves by fitting a paper filter. :D

Yup. Almost as good as a certain japanese manufacturer fitting a cheapo mild steel output shaft spacer on a bike destined for dirt/mud abuse....:augie

just as well we don't live in a perfect world. how many people make a living off putting right major companies bad design? (the AA and RAC would go bust for starters!)

:thumb

What type have you ordered ?
i might stick one in the back :)

They are labelled "Raceline", obtained through race spec:

http://www.racespec.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

They are just the cheapo rubber on steel ones. I've tried the s****y ally rim locks before (think they might be made by talon?), but having a lower profile i didn't find them as easy to fit, as they sit slightly lower in the rim, and only have a short stump of thread to poke through.

Hopefully i'll get the rear tyre swopped over tonite (going for a Michelin comp 3*), so i'll fit it then, all i need to do after that is get the wheel balanced!

Nathan

*If this tyre lasts more than 300 miles i'll be very surprised :rolleyes:

Is there any point in balancing an off road tyre? I never do, not even the front on the 1200 when it had TKC's on. Just a thought.
Mark

Is there any point in balancing an off road tyre? I never do, not even the front on the 1200 when it had TKC's on. Just a thought.
Mark

My initial thoughts were the same, until i bought a DRZ that had it's wheels balanced. It seemed to make the bike a much nicer ride on the black top, and didn't beat me up so much between lanes, though up to that point the only thing i could really compare it against would have been my TE410 husky, which was never intended to be a civilised bike .

Followed one of those in town today. It had a fruity pipe on and it did sound quite nice.

Did get a slating in this months Ride or Bike magazine.

They are labelled "Raceline", obtained through race spec:

http://www.racespec.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

They are just the cheapo rubber on steel ones. I've tried the s****y ally rim locks before (think they might be made by talon?), but having a lower profile i didn't find them as easy to fit, as they sit slightly lower in the rim, and only have a short stump of thread to poke through.

Hopefully i'll get the rear tyre swopped over tonite (going for a Michelin comp 3*), so i'll fit it then, all i need to do after that is get the wheel balanced!

Nathan

*If this tyre lasts more than 300 miles i'll be very surprised :rolleyes:

Cheers :thumb2

GsGal on Advrider managed 2500 miles out of her MT 21's
i can't see mine lasting that long but hopefully longer than 300 miles :eek:

Jockster.... Can you post some sort of reply....... about anything, .. doesnt matter what.

I just want an excuse to scrole down again:aidan:aidan

Back
Top Bottom