Which Sat Nav for bike and car?????

baronlebon

Hi Y'all.
Just bought a new car and am looking to get an inter changeable sat nav which will fit bike ( 04 GS1200) and car preferably without the sucker attachment.Any one out there know of the brand to buy and best fitment?
All comments appreciated

Cheers Baron:bounce1

Zumo 550. Comes complete with mountings for both car and bike. Do a search in the GPS forum, there's lot's of info in there. :thumb2

+1. It's still the best kit arround.
With Brodit holders you can mount it in your cars dash without the sucker.

Me too!

I'm contemplating the same purchase myself.
It appears the choice is between two devices :- the Tom Tom Rider and the Garmin Zumo 550.
Reviews of the Garmin appear to be more positive,but I'm unclear what the difference is between the Deluxe and "regular".
Also how tricky is installation on an 1150GS?

I bought TomTom rider 2 last summer it's used several times a week, every week on bike and in car, has been faultless so far.

GPS

Zumo 550 is great....but be prepared for it to fail. I am on my third; previous 2 after a short time refused to power on again.

Garmin were very good about providing warranty replacements, I must say.

Simon

Zumo 550 is great....but be prepared for it to fail. I am on my third; previous 2 after a short time refused to power on again.

Garmin were very good about providing warranty replacements, I must say.

Simon

I think you're in the minority there, to be honest.

Have a look at Garmin's track record of looking after customers and then have a look at TomTom's...........................

TomTom have a sh1t record and their satnavs are for girlies :rob

You'll never regret buying a Garmin, but...................... :augie

Al :hide

zumo

Got both zumo and tomtom - ZUMO RULES!! ONLY 2ND TO :peach:!!!!!!

One Garmin 2720, one Tomtom Rider 1, one Tomtom Rider II and a Ipaq that came with Tomtom navigator.

The Garmin is great and I use it all the time, Rider is OK and I only finished up with two when Tomtom gave me the Rider II as an apology for really crap service when the Rider I failed (they eventually replaced that as well). The Ipaq is OK now it's running Garmin software.

My conclusion is both Tomtom and Garmin get you from A to B. Garmin is vastly superior when you want routes with waypoints and I find the software much more intuitive. Tomtom have nothing to match the excellent Mapsource PC software. My experience is Tomtom service - 8 weeks, Garmin service - 3 days, and that seems to be reflected in many other posts.

To be fair to Tomtom they did eventually give me an expensive free gift as an apology but I would rather have had my Rider fixed quickly and without hassle and had to go "to the top" to get it sorted. One phone call got the Garmin replaced free in three days when I told them that the failure was my fault and I was happy to pay.

One advantage with Tomtom is a much bigger range of downloadable POI files - but I can live without knowing the location of every B&Q, Iceland and Morrisons, etc. The installed Garmin POIs cover everything I need when travelling.

If I was buying again tomorrow I would only consider Garmin.

I'm about to get a GPS for the bike and the car and was particularly pleased to find this thread. It appears that the cat's pyjamas is the Zumo 550, it seems to tick all the boxes and I looked through the specifications at GlobalGizmos and was disappointed to see the following-

Display size, WxH: 2.8"W x 2.1"H​
Are all display screens that tiny on the bike models? OK, I appreciate they don't make display screens the size of a flat screen TV for bike use, but I'd be spending such a long time squinting at it that I'd never arrive in one piece.

Do you people with a GPS on your bike consider size to be an issue? (Snigger) Or is there another one just as good as the Zumo 550 but with a larger screen?

Do you people with a GPS on your bike consider (screen) size to be an issue? Or is there another one just as good as the Zumo 550 but with a larger screen?

TBH I've never had a problem with my Quest and that's only 2.25x1.5 inches, I rely more on the audio instructions with the odd glance at the road layout if verification is required, the screen/my eyesight is fine for that. A bigger screen would be nicer but it's not really necessary. My closeup eyesight isn't perfect, I need mild reading glasses.

Back
Top Bottom