SE Norway - early September?

the_laughing_mole

Reaction score
Looking to do the fjords south of Bergen the first week of September. Any experienced travellers (or Liv?) know what the weather would be like at this time in that area and what the situation is on campsites and roads? Thanks.

Hi!

-How to tell the weather?
Try post number 7 in my thread here:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1272291#post1272291

-Do you have any idea how the weather normally are in Scotland at that time a year? If you dress for that I think you'll be OK.
Sometimes we get some snow, not much, up on the mountain roads, in September, and it melts the next day.
Close to fjords in the south part I feel 99% sure you are not getting any trouble with ice&snow on the roads.
If we get snow early the narrow roads up in mountains close for the winter, but I feel 90% sure that will not happend in September. If that happends there are other roads for you, all you miss is the funniest hairpins - mainroads is OK.
:)
Small campsites in area with not that many tourists my close for the winter the last week in August, but I would not worry about that. There are plenty campsites open in September, and if you do not find a campsite then there are hotells. The hotells often have not that expencive rooms off-season.
-Do you bring a tent?
-Are you alone?
Keep in mind a hytte/hut/cabin at a campsite may cost about the same as a room at a hotell, if you are alone.... If there is two (or more) persons sharing a cabin often are the cheapest - not a hotell. (There are no food at the cabin, and food cost too...)
You know you can put up your tent for free in the forest?
You can stay at the same place/spot for 2 or 3 nights - it is legal!
Please do not make a fire, or use an old place for bonfire, and leave the spot as clean&nice as it was when you arrived.:angel

I hope this helped!
:) Liv.

Mole
Re Liv's comments on the weather in Scotland in September -you can expect anything weatherwise - rain,sun,hot, cold - although not freezing depending on altitude - possibly all in the same day so my advice would be to bring kit to suit these varying conditions :eek:onyack

Thanks for your suggestions!

I am now booked Newcastle to Stavanger for 30th August for 8 days - there are two of us. Now looking for routes. Looking to go North up to Bergen and give enough time for the fjords, Pulpit Rock etc on the way. What would people suggest as the highlights to see??

Zwerver's info is truly excellent :thumb- essential reading IMO - I've used it as a basis for two trips to Norway.I was wondering if it could be made a sticky as it answers many of the questions asked here.

Tony

We went in early September a couple of years ago - weather was great!

Suggest you look carefully at the ferry schedule - when we went, its route was Newcastle - Bergen - Stavanger - Newcastle so we disembarked at Bergen, went North for a couple of days, then worked down to eventually take the ferry from Stavanger back to Newcastle. Seemed silly to stay on the ferry for several more hours to disembark at Stavanger, and then work back up to Bergen - kinda like going against the time zone!

http://neilf.smugmug.com for some of our pictures.

And Zwerver's information is spot on - you can't go wrong!

Cheers,

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom