iPAQ GPS navigation software

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a Medion Micromaxx MDPPC 150, (it's the same as the Mio 168 and the like). It runs Windows Mobile operating system and it has a built in GPS aerial thingy that folds out from the back.

Anyway.......... It uses Navigon software and I have UK and France on it, but it is a couple of years out-of-date now. Can anyone offer any suitable alternatives for GPS mapping software to buy to use on it? Thanks in advance.

I've got a iPaq HP hw6915
229_overview_uk.jpg

which came with TomTom.

Nothing like as good as my garmin 2610, but when I'm lost unexpectedly or suddenly have to go somewhere I use it and its OK.
It struggles in built up London - when stationary at juctions it tends to think you are moving forwards and then backwards and then thinks you are joining from another road. It be fair the Tomtom software is probably also over a year old.

I have an Ipaq 5930 with built in GPS and Tomtom. I was VERY disappointed as it could take 10 minutes to get a fix - and then only if you didn't move. I bought an external antenna on ebay for a fiver and it's transformed it. Still takes longer than my Garmin 2720 but at least it's useable now and does not lose the fix in town.

I then installed Garmin XT software which is vastly better than Tomtom.

Both Tom Tom and Garmin use vector maps -

If you want to use raster (photo like) maps then you need oziexplorer (or similar) ... yes this will work on a Ipac (CE) device

Tomtom 7 is available on Torrent but isn't officially out yet. I've just bought an ACER C530 with built in GPS and it uses ALK Copilot.

686d_1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom