Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Palmer

Reaction score
Hi

News Flash Great Shefford

A338 closed at bridge next to Swan Pub.
Bridge damaged by Floods,
( It only took since last July to realise it !!!! )
Long detours for cars, however easily bypassed
by Bike on adjacent pedestrian footbridge
( until we’re stopped !! )

Harry

As you come out of Shefford towards Hungerford don't forget to give Roy Bailey (only house on the left as you start up Hungerford Hill) a BIG blast on yer horn :thumb

He loves motorbikes :augie

Hi

Roy Bailey’s attitude to traffic and bikes in particular is the least of our worries !! sorry but annoying him is just too boring for words and a total waste of futile effort.

Be aware that there now exists an action group under the banner of
STAG (Shefford Traffic Action Group ) which is becoming more vocal
and most influential with an aim to ‘calm/tame’ and mitigate the impact of traffic within the village. Main targets , Speeding ( no surprise there ) HGV’s ( volume of ) and unfortunately for us, Bikes!!.

Sorry but a small minority selfish bikers (weekend warriors etc usually
on rice rockets ) with or without loud cans ( deliberately annoying residents or not ) and associated similar bikers are merely giving STAG ammunition for their cause/crusade. Sooner or later their crusade will yield results and spoil the village and associated access to a good biking road/circuit for us all.

( We all know that the only real solution is a much promised/talked about new road from bottom of Hungerford hill by passing the village to emerge at Murco Garage is the only answer, but that will never happen )

Being a resident in the village and an avid biker, I’m afraid I have some sympathy to their cause, the impact of traffic and noise especially at weekends is becoming more noticeable. However I fear that a total victory for STAG will result in possibly OTT restrictions, calming measures, speed cameras and lots of ’police initiatives’ which will inevitably catch a high proportion of ‘reasonable/considerate’ drivers/bikers slightly over the speed limit etc and miss most of the inconsiderate few.

( Sorry guys Rant now over )

Oh and by the way I think the Bridge will be closed for a long time !!!!!!!!

Harry

Have they twinned Great Shefford with Nutbush then ???

You can paint it anyway you like Harry but I think you'll find that Roy Bailey is still a TWAT who deserves no sympathy whatsoever. In fact the only people I feel sympathy for are the residents of GF who will find it very hard to replace their Village Idiot when the silly old twonk eventually pops of his mortal coil ;)

Hi

I think you are missing the point.

Having met and conversed ( in reference to his retail outlets for the Lambourn Cider Company ) with Mr Bailey , just the once, that was more than enough for me.
An experience that I do not wish to repeat in a hurry or indeed ever again.
We tend to ignore his rants and approach to the traffic situation/problem.

I think you will find that STAG has quite a few more members than Mr Bailey,
who are more than capable of preparing and presenting a professional, well thought out and rational approach to the l
ocal media/Highways Authority/Council with respect to their campaign.

Feel free to annoy and wind them up and merely provide evidence, statistics for their cause with very little personal gain.

Remember quite a few fellow GS owners live and work near here and may well be affected by the campaign outcome or any ‘police initiatives'’ instigated in response to STAG.

With respect feeling sorry for us finding it difficult to replacing a village idiot, I don’t think we’ll bother. But if we’re desperate, maybe we’ll source one from just over the border in Wiltshire, they must have a few spares.

( Sorry Guys, 2nd Rant over, feel better now )

Harry

Hi Harry

has all the fun gone out of your life?:eek let's really annoy everybody, it's what biking is all about, loud exhausts black leather,rebelion:thumb

Hi Folks

May I reply to above as follows

has all the fun gone out of your life?
( obviously yes, but then I ride a a GS that can bring out the hooligan in one )

let's really annoy everybody
( boring, can't be bothered, too easy, not really a challange, but then I ride a a GS that can bring out the hooligan in one )

it's what biking is all about
( is it ?? It just great fun and brilliant, but then I ride a a GS that can bring out the hooligan in one )

loud exhausts
( OK pass up on that one )

black leather ( now your talking my lingo )

rebelion
( too old and obviously boring, but then I ride a a GS that can bring out the hooligan in one )

Harry

But then I ride a a GS that can bring out the hooligan in one and often does !!!!

Latest News Flash

Theres talk of installing a temporary Bridge

A Bailey Bridge

See he's not as bad as we make out

harry the GS Hooloigan

Sorry just realised where Great Shefford is:rolleyes:, its quite local to me at times and i use the road on a regular basis, I had no idea it was an area of urban conflict, i'll take care in future:augie

Fantastic road though:thumb2

Shep

I ride through Great Shefford twice a day early at 6.30am ish and later at around 5.15pm. It's my route to and from home to work, on my GSA, from Oxford to Calne. My other choice of routes are the A420 (Yuk) or M4/A34 (even yukker). A420 is full numpties happy to sit at 40mph from Swindon (usually in a Honda), cranes and lorries and the M4/A34 is full of very skilled drivers who can drive while asleep! The A34 is held up by Lorries that take 15 minutes to overtake something and is just a nightmare. So I only take either of these if the A338 is shut which does not happen often.
So the A4 to Hungerford then the A338 to Wantage is my private road that time of the morning and being a conscientious biker I abide by all posted limits even that early in the day. Apart from nothing else it helps the fuel consumption when you’re doing this every day. Abide by the limits and I get Friday for free if I don’t then I am filling up Friday morning, it’s as simple as that. I do not have a loud exhaust and gently bimble through Great Shefford behaving as I do in all 30’s. 40’s & 50’s.
But alas the sun has come out and so have the play time throttle jockey plonkers, 40 something men wearing leathers that are too tight on bikes they can’t handle. It’s this bunch that are doing it in for us all. This time of year I also unfortunately pass by a main route to Avebury and on Wednesday nights “Statiscis Riders” are out to play for the Bike Night and the Police are everywhere trying to catch them. They overtake on solid white lines and break every rule they can....I try to ignore them but BMW’s seem to bring out the worst in them....like Red Rags to a Bull it seems. I just think well “Where were you when it was dark and sleeting – while I was doing the same and maintaining a cool progressiveness even in those conditions”. I gently smirk to myself that most of these bike polishers just don’t have a clue. Then I get angry as before long they will diminish access for us genuine bikers due to their bad riding skills on routes and roads we love and use.
Old Bailey might have a point and sorry if these lunatics keep speeding past his house. Sorry mate it’s not me......I am nothing to do with them.

Gabby. what a rant :rob do you like anyone?? it seems you hate car drivers, lorry drivers and all other bikers exept yourself, the only one to get a good word was Mr Bailey! are you on the wrong side?

Gabby. what a rant :rob do you like anyone?? it seems you hate car drivers, lorry drivers and all other bikers exept yourself, the only one to get a good word was Mr Bailey! are you on the wrong side?

On nowones side mate..... just want to ride my bike without any hassle from anyone else or taking the blame for idots.

Gabby if I didn't want any "hassle" as you say ,I would not go on a public forum and call people quote "numpties,snoozers, throttle jockey plonkers,statistic riders,bike polishers and lunatics and expect to be left alone:augie

Hi

This is becoming an interesting thread and polarising opinions.

I would basically concur with Gabby’s thread above, however I’m afraid, like us in the village please, please, please ignore Mr Bailey. Deny him the attention he craves, that really will upset him. He’s not the one with influence, other members of STAG are, OK Final word on that subject.

In an earlier thread ( now edited a big, big, big thank you to the moderator ) a strong possibility of police initiatives re traffic was alluded to.

Sorry guys thanks to a lunatic fringe of bikers ( in general ), then that won’t be long in coming and a purge near Great Shefford or on the classic biking triangle ( Newbury/Hungerford/Wantage/Newbury ) will only be the start. It’ll soon appear as well in a village/town near you.

The selfish inconsiderate minority are spoiling the scene for the majority and as a numbers game, more of the ‘majority’ ( and lets face it thats us ) will be caught out than the more ‘deserving minority’ in any such purge.

By no way do I suggest that we should all be saints. We all bend/tweak the rules, but hey lets have fun, leave at tweaking as appropriate and at the right time/place and disassociate ourselves from the totally selfish and lunatic fringe.

OK I’m ranting again, but as an avid biker, fortunate enough to live in the midst of some great biking roads and country on a great GS bike that is total and utter fun to ride , I totally fail to see what benefit is gained by p#ssing people/local influential groups off to the extend that the potential for our biking enjoyment is threatened or curtailed. One only has to see how the 50 MPH limit scourge on Oxfordshire roads is spreading to realise that local pressure groups can have an effect. ( yes its easy to travel those roads in excess of 50 and in total safety ( I could start another Rant here but won’t ) , but hey just need Mr Policeman to take an interest with a speed camera or invite his mates to join him in a purge and your days ruined with all those lovely points gained on your licence even though you’re riding safely )

Another rant over, see doctor, I feel much better, can I go home now, what do you mean it's back to the padded cell :tears:tears:tears??

( OK I’ll shut up and duck and await further brickbats )

Gabby if I didn't want any "hassle" as you say ,I would not go on a public forum and call people quote "numpties,snoozers, throttle jockey plonkers,statistic riders,bike polishers and lunatics and expect to be left alone:augie

So which one of these do you aspire to? And who said I was having a go at GS (Great Shefford!) owners...? Every one else but.....

Hi

This is becoming an interesting thread and polarising opinions.

I would basically concur with Gabby’s thread above, however I’m afraid, like us in the village please, please, please ignore Mr Bailey. Deny him the attention he craves, that really will upset him. He’s not the one with influence, other members of STAG are, OK Final word on that subject.

In an earlier thread ( now edited a big, big, big thank you to the moderator ) a strong possibility of police initiatives re traffic was alluded to.

Sorry guys thanks to a lunatic fringe of bikers ( in general ), then that won’t be long in coming and a purge near Great Shefford or on the classic biking triangle ( Newbury/Hungerford/Wantage/Newbury ) will only be the start. It’ll soon appear as well in a village/town near you.

The selfish inconsiderate minority are spoiling the scene for the majority and as a numbers game, more of the ‘majority’ ( and lets face it thats us ) will be caught out than the more ‘deserving minority’ in any such purge.

By no way do I suggest that we should all be saints. We all bend/tweak the rules, but hey lets have fun, leave at tweaking as appropriate and at the right time/place and disassociate ourselves from the totally selfish and lunatic fringe.

OK I’m ranting again, but as an avid biker, fortunate enough to live in the midst of some great biking roads and country on a great GS bike that is total and utter fun to ride , I totally fail to see what benefit is gained by p#ssing people/local influential groups off to the extend that the potential for our biking enjoyment is threatened or curtailed. One only has to see how the 50 MPH limit scourge on Oxfordshire roads is spreading to realise that local pressure groups can have an effect. ( yes its easy to travel those roads in excess of 50 and in total safety ( I could start another Rant here but won’t ) , but hey just need Mr Policeman to take an interest with a speed camera or invite his mates to join him in a purge and your days ruined with all those lovely points gained on your licence even though you’re riding safely )

Another rant over, see doctor, I feel much better, can I go home now, what do you mean it's back to the padded cell :tears:tears:tears??

( OK I’ll shut up and duck and await further brickbats )

Well said that man.:beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom