How do I know it's working?

AlanB

I've had my 05 1200GS for a few months now, and finally got round to re-fitting the TTR from the last bike. The previous owner of my new bike had thoughtfully retrofitted the up front power socket just front and left of the tank, so I re-wired the TTR bike power lead to a BMW plug, snapped it in and off I went.

However, the TTR has only been slowly running its own battery down. The battery died last week. It seems that it was not receiving power from the bike.

I checked (based on an earlier thread) that the central pin in the plug was connected to the red (live) wire. I have even tried to use a voltage tester inside the socket with the ignition on but the tester is really expecting mains voltage, and does not register the 12V provided by the bike.

What would be a quick and easy way to check that the bike is delivering power (at least to the TTR cradle)?

Alan,
a bit heath robinson but i have a BMW plug with a small bulb wired to it, imagine a bulb with wires held in place by a small blob of solder and then attached to the plug, and you know where i'm coming from.
Plug in and if you are receiveing power the bulb will light up. failing that it's a trip to halfords and get a cheap circuit meter and test it that way.
have you checked the connection into the cradle?, sometimes if it's not seated properly it won't power up the cradle.

Stevey B

I've had my 05 1200GS for a few months now, and finally got round to re-fitting the TTR from the last bike. The previous owner of my new bike had thoughtfully retrofitted the up front power socket just front and left of the tank, so I re-wired the TTR bike power lead to a BMW plug, snapped it in and off I went.

However, the TTR has only been slowly running its own battery down. The battery died last week. It seems that it was not receiving power from the bike.

I checked (based on an earlier thread) that the central pin in the plug was connected to the red (live) wire. I have even tried to use a voltage tester inside the socket with the ignition on but the tester is really expecting mains voltage, and does not register the 12V provided by the bike.

What would be a quick and easy way to check that the bike is delivering power (at least to the TTR cradle)?

Alan I had the same problem
When TTR is connected press the bottom right hand corner of the screen it will take you to the screen showing battery state and should also say " Charging "if it is doing so
There is a sequence to making it work on my 06 which is as follows
1 Put the TTR in the cradle with Bike and TT switched off and unpluged from Socket
2 Start bike
3 Plug in the socket of TT to bike
This will also switch your TT on and start charging it
The management system of the Bike does not power up the socket if the Tom Tom is connected when starting (Thats what Pidcocks told me anyway )and it works on mine :beerjug:

Ridinggod

Thanks for the tip. But it didn't work. After starting the engine, I plugged in the TTR. No start-up. So I switched it on manually, and checked the battery state screen. No evidence of charging.

I guess I need to do some circuit testing to establish whether the socket is in fact supplying power.

Back
Top Bottom