F800GS... a superb bike

genon

Reaction score
This forum seems to have changed a little from supporting the F650Twin/800GS to a soapbox for people to beat the 800/650twin with posts like "post your problems etc". Of course post problems to see if there is a coincidence with them but....

To balance things out, I want to voice my opinion and say this F800GS I've bought is an excellent bike and I love it!!

After having 3 Africa Twins, KTM 620 Adv, 1150GS, 850GS, R100GSD, XT600E & 2 Transalps... I find this F800GS to be all the best of those bikes rolled into one.

I LOVE IT!

So remember when reading this forum about posting problems with it - many people have none :D

I've no stalling problems. The onboard computer and fuel range works perfectly. The standard screen directs wind towards the top of my helmet and ok, I get pressure there but it doesn't buffet. The standard headlight is better than what I've experienced before. The brakes are excellent. The seat is hard but I'm now used to it. The standard exhaust note is rorty, mean and sounds class. The BMW heated grips work far better than my R850R. The dealer back up is second to none. My two wee girls think it's cool looking (and that's the most important thing :D)

So, don't hone in on the "problems" threads in this forum. Remember how many are being sold and the number of problems being reported.

I'm 100% happy with mine :)

Just trying to make a balance

To balance things out, I want to voice my opinion and say this F800GS I've bought is an excellent bike and I love it!!

After having 3 Africa Twins, KTM 620 Adv, 1150GS, 850GS, R100GSD, XT600E & 2 Transalps... I find this F800GS to be all the best of those bikes rolled into one.

Wowee - that's awesome to hear. I'm hoping to get mine in the next 5-8 working days and to have that kind of endorsement from clearly an experience dual-sport rider is comforting indeed that I've made the right decision! :bounce1

This forum seems to have changed a little from supporting the F650Twin/800GS to a soapbox for people to beat the 800/650twin with posts like "post your problems etc". Of course post problems to see if there is a coincidence with them but....

Try wading through all the moaning on the 1200 pages:rolleyes:

Yer right though- plenty folk make lots of fuss when they get a problem but most of us are quietly happy with our bikes.

I totally agree with you genon.
This bike is by far the best bike I have ever owned ad there has been nothing wrong with it so far, no stalling no nothing.... except pure joy.....
Absolutely brilliant bike :clap

Karl

Worth remembering we chose to buy them before we could start posting our worries and concerns.

I've had some worries and concerns - but I still have the bike :D

Negative vs positive

Marketing research shows that when an individual has a;

Positive experience they will tell 3-4 people.

Negative experience they will tell 10-12 people.

Think about your own thoughts/actions (eg car, supermarket, restrauant)

In this particular circumstance, maybe people are trying to find solutions to problems so they can enjoy their bike more??? (Maybe that is the fundermental behind all consumer negatives, trying to gain more enjoyment.)

OR MAYBE YOU ARE ALL WHINGING POMS;)

Now done almost 9,000 miles Genon and quite simply I have to agree with ya :thumb

No issues with mine, a beaut to ride... I love it :jibber

Off to Ireland in the morning for a week touring with the 'Peoples Republic of Cork' bikers :D

What I find very interesting is that since the F650GS/800GS has 'come on board' on UKGSer we're getting a lot of people chipping in from much further afield than before... great eh! At this rate we'll soon be outnumbering the 1200 Wannabe's ;)

:beerjug:

Wowee - that's awesome to hear. I'm hoping to get mine in the next 5-8 working days and to have that kind of endorsement from clearly an experience dual-sport rider is comforting indeed that I've made the right decision! :bounce1

5-8 days... ooo..... I remember that count down. Sitting on the toilet each morning reading the bike magazines that raved about the F650twin/800GS and wishing it to be the delivery date... Christmas Day will be here soon!! :D

Be sure to post us some pictures!

And good luck with your new bike!

I am one of those who posted a thread on a possible issue with the new bike.
In now way had I intended to 'beat' the 650/800.

So to assist in the balancing process here goes:
:)
Got this bike on the 19th of June. I walked in at 10:00 the morning, and left at about 15:00. The only waiting I had to do was for finance and insurance. They had a bike in stock to my specifications.:clap
This is my first BMW and I must say, I think I have found my brand.
This bike is just fantastic. Other than the odd engine noise, I have had no problems whatsoever.
The engine delivery is smooth.
Power is more than enough for my current needs.
Build quality is up there with the best IMHO.
Overall I love this bike to bits!:thumb
I use it for about 90% commuting/tarmac riding, and the rest on dirt/gravel roads, no off-roading as of yet.

attachment.php

In 2007 I spent some time in Italy and saw lot's of maxi scooters and thought It would be a nice way to get around. Upon my return to the UK I realised I would need my full test. I soon saw sense and started looking at real bikes. I looked at the Triumph speed triple and the new Tiger1050. Then around November Long Way Down aired on the TV. I didn't buy into the whole Ewan and Charley thing at first but it did steer me in a new direction.

I'm not sure when the F800GS came into my consciousness but as soon as I saw it I knew it was the bike for me. I'm 5'7 and can't flat foot but that's not an issue for me. The dealer tried to sway me to get the lower F650GS but it just doesn't look as mean as the black and yellow combo. :bounce1:beer:

I passed my test on the 5th of May this year, and picked the F800GS up on June 5th. By August 5th I was touring around the continent. This is a very confidence inspiring bike! It looks great, it sounds great, and is very versatile. I like the weight distribution. I don't have panniers yet and so my luggage adds weight high up. I found that after I filled up, the bike was easier to lift off the stand because the weight of the fuel under the seat aided me.

Riding two up is also very good. Comfortable for me and the passenger despite riding through the rain for 600 miles. The on-board computer, lighting and switchgear are excellent!

I dropped the bike after it had had it's first service. The only damage sustained was the loss of the end of the clutch lever (BMW even add an indentation to the lever so the whole thing doesn't break!). Ironically I was on my way to Touratech to buy hand guards. I dropped it again in Belgium and this time no damage was sustained. Finally last week a guy did a U-turn in the road without looking and pulled into my path :eek:. The ABS kicked in and I'm amazed how it stopped the bike. The front tire made contact with the wing of the car and I lost my balance and had to let the bike down onto the road. In doing so the metal bolts on the F800 windscreen scratched his door. His wing mirror scratched my wind shield but some brasso removed that later.

All in all this bike is fabulous. If the western world collapses and we end up in a 'Mad Max' style scenario this would be my vehicle of choice for all terrain! :mcgun

Attachments

• Zirl-Innsbruck-Austria.jpg
    Zirl-Innsbruck-Austria.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 712
attachment.php

In 2007 I spent some time in Italy and saw lot's of maxi scooters and thought It would be a nice way to get around. Upon my return to the UK I realised I would need my full test. I soon saw sense and started looking at real bikes. I looked at the Triumph speed triple and the new Tiger1050. Then around November Long Way Down aired on the TV. I didn't buy into the whole Ewan and Charley thing at first but it did steer me in a new direction.

I'm not sure when the F800GS came into my consciousness but as soon as I saw it I knew it was the bike for me. I'm 5'7 and can't flat foot but that's not an issue for me. The dealer tried to sway me to get the lower F650GS but it just doesn't look as mean as the black and yellow combo. :bounce1:beer:

I passed my test on the 5th of May this year, and picked the F800GS up on June 5th. By August 5th I was touring around the continent. This is a very confidence inspiring bike! It looks great, it sounds great, and is very versatile. I like the weight distribution. I don't have panniers yet and so my luggage adds weight high up. I found that after I filled up, the bike was easier to lift off the stand because the weight of the fuel under the seat aided me.

Riding two up is also very good. Comfortable for me and the passenger despite riding through the rain for 600 miles. The on-board computer, lighting and switchgear are excellent!

I dropped the bike after it had had it's first service. The only damage sustained was the loss of the end of the clutch lever (BMW even add an indentation to the lever so the whole thing doesn't break!). Ironically I was on my way to Touratech to buy hand guards. I dropped it again in Belgium and this time no damage was sustained. Finally last week a guy did a U-turn in the road without looking and pulled into my path :eek:. The ABS kicked in and I'm amazed how it stopped the bike. The front tire made contact with the wing of the car and I lost my balance and had to let the bike down onto the road. In doing so the metal bolts on the F800 windscreen scratched his door. His wing mirror scratched my wind shield but some brasso removed that later.

All in all this bike is fabulous. If the western world collapses and we end up in a 'Mad Max' style scenario this would be my vehicle of choice for all terrain! :mcgun

Crikey... You need to change your login name to Chief Tarmac Tester.

Good on ya though... can't wait for mine to arrive.

Mine's a new F650 twin.........

.........and I luuuuuuuuuuuurve her..........:D....:cool:.....:clap....:bounce1

P.S.....Goes like stink too!!!.........:D

I am one of those who posted a thread on a possible issue with the new bike.
In now way had I intended to 'beat' the 650/800.

So to assist in the balancing process here goes:
:)
Got this bike on the 19th of June. I walked in at 10:00 the morning, and left at about 15:00. The only waiting I had to do was for finance and insurance. They had a bike in stock to my specifications.:clap
This is my first BMW and I must say, I think I have found my brand.
This bike is just fantastic. Other than the odd engine noise, I have had no problems whatsoever.
The engine delivery is smooth.
Power is more than enough for my current needs.
Build quality is up there with the best IMHO.
Overall I love this bike to bits!:thumb
I use it for about 90% commuting/tarmac riding, and the rest on dirt/gravel roads, no off-roading as of yet.

I'm with you. This is my second BMW but first GS. So far, apart from an engine rattle (which may be "normal" as its seems a lot of people have experienced it) I love the bike (F650GS). It goes, it handles, it stops and it looks good :clap What more could anyone want?:bow

Love my bike

I have to agree with the above posts, I love this bike. I've had a triumph Speed 4, Triumph Daytona 650, Triumph Tiger 955i and a Triumph Sprint st1050 and this bike is superb.
OK its not the fastest, but on those twisty roads its sheer fun. I love the way it has low down torque that pulls you out of corners with ease and of course a grin on your face. On the motorway she'll easily get upto 80-90mph without much hesitation and cruise there all day giving a decent mpg. I have found there to be no more vibration than what I am used to on the Sprint ST1050 above 70mph.
I use her on a daily basis for cummuting when at work and it feels very reassuring in the wet.
I have done a little off road, nothing serious and found the bike to be very steady for a complete novice like myself.
I think with the number of bikes BMW are making there are bound to be a few with QA/QC problems. I found myself listening out for problems that were'nt there before I started reading.
All I need now are the goodies to get the bike I really want, the list is not that long yet distinguished !! Just a small matter of cash flow ehem :(

Nice to hear all the positive reports. I´ll add mine because I have been doing mostly dirt:

This bike is FANTASTIC off road. It rides like a road bike on dirt roads. :clap:clap

On the technical slow stuff the sensitive throttle takes a bit of getting used to but at the end of the day it got me out of the dwang on a very rocky section without the cluthc where other bikes would have stalled. :D

I've got the 650 too, done nearly 1000 miles on her now and not one single problem, in fact the more I ride her the better she gets!

I've also had various bikes, VFR400, GSXR600, 2 Ducati's, last one being a 900 monster which I sold to help pay for the new 650, plus I still have my old 650 single, I can honestly say the new bike is the best I've had, I absolutely love it! :D

My only grumble at the beginning was the indicators and hard seat. I've got used to the indicators now and I've put a sheep skin on the seat and that's solved the problem.

I'm getting Tourances on Tuesday and then my first try at off roading at Lumb Farm, can't wait! :cool:

Today I took a mate of mine to look at some bikes and whilst at the dealers I had another look at the 650 VStrom and the new Transalp......I'm glad I got the F650GS. It looks better and it feels better to sit on and it probably goes better!:mcgun

Back
Top Bottom