Wilbers front shock fitting on an 1150

essjay

Reaction score
My lovely new Wilbers arrived on Friday and I spent some time fitting them. The back went on without too much drama (besides taking off the pipe, wheel and filing about 1mm off the shock) but I'm having a little trouble torquing up the front.

On the front where the threaded part (looks like a the threaded part of a bolt) comes up through the frame and it's bolted to the fame using the included 17mm nylon lock nut. I can tighten this to an extent before the threaded part starts twisting while tightening the nut.

hHow do you tighten this up to the required torque value of 43Nm? Do I have to try and get a spanner in under the frame to hold the top of the shock while tightening the nut? If so what size (19mm)?

Cheers.....

Is there not a hexagonal hole for an Allen key in the top of the shaft, as the front Wilbers on my 1150 has ?

Phil

There is a flat on the top of the shock that needs to be secured with a spanner (19mm from memory) it's awkward to get at and a small spanner is needed but it is possible.

Bit concerned about you having to remove some of the face of the rear mounting point, the shock is designed to be a tight fit with the face of the swing arm against the shock mount, having fitted a few shocks both Wilburs and Ohlins they were all tight but fitted with some lubrication and persuasion.

If you have removed some of the face of the mounting you may be looking at future problems.

Cheers for that.

The OEM shock slid in and out no problem but I was fairly hammering the new shock and it wouldn't go in.

I've just fitted Wilbers front and rear. They are tight, but I found no need to remove any of the face - as Thunder says, lubrication and persuasion did the trick. My front came with an Allen key point, but they were a custom build.

front wilbers

Hi
Just recently fitted my new wilbers also ran into a problem tightning the front one as no allen key fixing in the top of the shock, finished up cutting and fabricating my self a type of spanner around 30mm out of some flat bar if memory serves me correctly. this enabled me to hold it under the head stock whilst my trusty assistant tightned the lock nut up to the correct setting.
Must say i wasnt very happy that this new shock was a poor pattern in this respect compared to the original.
hope this helps Adam

I have to agree. I'm not very impressed at all with trying to fit this front. I have to try and find a thin 30mm spanner.

Having an allen key hole in the top of the shock would have made life much easier.

on the lower mount point for the rear shock on teh paralever, there is a bushing on teh left hand side of it.....
if the shock does not fit, you need to push the bushing out to the left a little, you should not need to take any off the shock

I fitted Wilbers 18months ago and had the same problem

Hay Ewe

I have to agree. I'm not very impressed at all with trying to fit this front. I have to try and find a thin 30mm spanner.

Having an allen key hole in the top of the shock would have made life much easier.

yep had same problem and wilburs were less than useful!
no way to use alan key as per original, I ended up using the key they supply for adjusting the shock and "wangling it" up into the space to get it across the two lock rings on the shock, making sure to avoid undoing these....you should then be able to tighten the top nut up to the correct torque...on mine it was nearly there anyway (as the shock body started to spin) before useing the kep on the lock rings and it needed very little for the torque wrench to click...
I did ring wilburs afterwards and tell them this fix....frankly they were a dead loss....
hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom